- Asia stocks muted ahead of Fed, keep wary eye on China Updated: Jul-29-15 1:52 am
TOKYO - Asian stock markets were muted Wednesday as the recent plunge in Chinese shares kept investors on edge and attention turned to a Federal Reserve meeting that might give clues about the timing of a U.S. interest rate hike.
- Fed is likely to delay 1st rate hike in 9 years a bit longer Updated: Jul-29-15 12:07 am
WASHINGTON - The Federal Reserve is moving toward raising interest rates from record lows - just not likely yet.
- Gilead beats Street 2Q forecasts on surge in sales, profit Updated: Jul-28-15 6:49 pm
Blockbuster hepatitis C medicine Harvoni propelled Gilead Sciences Inc.'s second-quarter profit up 23 percent as total revenue for the biotech drugmaker jumped 26 percent and it raised its 2015 sales forecast for the second time. Its shares jumped in after-hours trading.
- Man accused of using $476K in employer's funds for strippers Updated: Jul-28-15 11:43 am
ST. LOUIS - An Arizona computer engineer for a Missouri-based tech company wrongly racked up nearly a half million dollars in personal charges on his employer's credit card, lavishing much of the money on online strippers, according to a federal indictment accusing him of five wire-fraud counts.
- Home Bancorp profit rises in second quarter Updated: Jul-28-15 10:49 am
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - Lafayette-based Home Bancorp Inc. reported its second-quarter profit rose slightly to $2.8 million, or 41 cents per share, an increase of $87,000, or 1 cent per share, over the same period last year.
- Greece advances in loan talks, under fire for euro exit plan Updated: Jul-28-15 9:43 am
ATHENS, Greece - Greece pushed ahead with talks on a new rescue loan Tuesday, but its government came under increasing pressure over claims it had a top-secret plan to prepare for a euro exit that involved accessing citizens' personal tax data.
- MidSouth Bancorp beats Wall Street forecast Updated: Jul-28-15 6:58 am
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - MidSouth Bancorp Inc.'s second-quarter profit climbed to $4.9 million, or 42 cents per share, from $3.9 million, or 34 cents per share, a year ago.
- Covered California: Cost of health care coverage increasing Updated: Jul-27-15 9:16 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The cost of private individual health plans on California's state-run market will increase about 4 percent for the second straight year, evidence the strategy of forcing insurers to compete is controlling costs, program officials said Monday.
- Federal laws have banks turning away marijuana businesses Updated: Jul-27-15 2:52 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Federal laws tying marijuana money with money laundering has banks turning away marijuana businesses.
- Attorney sentenced in immigration, bank fraud cases Updated: Jul-26-15 5:31 pm
LOS ANGELES - Prosecutors say a Newport Beach attorney has been sentenced to federal prison for his role in a scam that targeted immigrants in the country illegally who were being held in detention and awaiting possible deportation.
- Deutsche Boerse buys forex trading platform 360T for $796M Updated: Jul-26-15 5:05 am
BERLIN - Frankfurt stock exchange operator Deutsche Boerse AG says it is buying foreign exchange trading platform 360T for 725 million euros ($796 million).
- Fed: Confidential forecasts mistakenly made public Updated: Jul-24-15 7:48 pm
WASHINGTON - The Federal Reserve said Friday it mistakenly posted confidential economic projections on its public website last month.
- Bristol-Myers wins approval for 1st hepatitis C type 3 drug Updated: Jul-24-15 6:02 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - An experimental drug for one of the hardest-to-treat types of hepatitis C has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration, adding to the surge of new options - all much more effective but extremely costly - for patients with the liver-destroying virus.
- Mega-health deals bloom in July, Anthem bids $48B for Cigna Updated: Jul-24-15 2:02 pm
NEW YORK - Anthem is buying rival Cigna for $48 billion in a deal that would create the nation's largest health insurer by enrollment, covering about 53 million U.S patients.
- Suspended lawyer gets 3 years in prison in fraud case Updated: Jul-24-15 4:46 am
PITTSBURGH - A suspended Pittsburgh lawyer has been sentenced to three years in prison and ordered to pay restitution that could be in the millions for a series of fraud schemes.
- Home, auto insurance rates increased for Ohioans in 2014 Updated: Jul-24-15 4:05 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohioans saw their homeowners' and auto insurance rates increase last year, though they're still getting a good deal.
- Visa 3Q earnings jump 25 percent, beat estimates Updated: Jul-23-15 6:19 pm
NEW YORK - Visa Inc. said its fiscal third-quarter profit jumped 25 percent, helped by a double-digit rise in payments processed on its network. However Visa executives emphasize they are not seeing as robust U.S. consumer spending as they hoped.
- Getting tested again: Municipal bond funds face more stress Updated: Jul-23-15 5:11 pm
NEW YORK - Here we go again.
- Florida Medicaid plans seek raise from state amid losses Updated: Jul-23-15 4:35 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - Insurers participating in Florida's new Medicaid managed care program say they've lost $542 million through 2014 and want the state to raise their rates. But after losing major federal funding for hospitals, Gov. Rick Scott doesn't want to use any more state money for the Medicaid program.
- Shares in Janus Capital Group fall as assets slip Updated: Jul-23-15 4:16 pm
DENVER - Janus Capital reported higher second-quarter net income and revenue on Thursday, helped by an increase in fees for managing investments. But the amount of money Janus manages slipped from earlier in the year.
- American Express tops 2Q profit forecasts Updated: Jul-22-15 5:46 pm
NEW YORK - American Express Co.'s second-quarter profits fell 5 percent from a year ago, but the results still solidly beat analysts' estimates. A strong U.S. dollar weighed on the company's international operations once again.
- Senate GOP adds Dodd-Frank rewrite to $21B funding bill Updated: Jul-22-15 1:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans are trying to use a must-do spending bill to advance legislation significantly revising a landmark law that tightened regulation of the financial services industry after the 2008 financial crisis.
- Springfield father, son plead guilty in fraud scheme Updated: Jul-22-15 1:20 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - A southwest Missouri restaurant owner has pleaded guilty to federal charges stemming from defrauding banks out of more than $5.5 million in commercial loans.
- Clinton raising money in finance sector as she raps industry Updated: Jul-22-15 11:05 am
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton is pushing an agenda that takes on Wall Street, going after financial investors for focusing too heavily on their own immediate profits. But she's also taking their money, targeting some of those same executives to fund her presidential campaign.
- Financial services company receives state aid to expand Updated: Jul-22-15 7:35 am
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A Stamford-based financial services company will receive up to $20 million in state aid under a deal to expand its operations in Connecticut.