- Agreement reached with HSBC to address mortgage abuses Updated: Feb-06-16 2:15 am
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Attorney General Marty Jackley says South Dakota borrowers will receive money as part of a $470 million joint state-federal settlement with mortgage lender and servicer HSBC to address mortgage origination, servicing and foreclosure abuses.
- Jury finds former Viking Voigt guilty of bank fraud Updated: Feb-05-16 10:05 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - Former Minnesota Vikings tight end Stu Voigt has been found guilty of one count of bank fraud.
- Stocks lose more ground as jobs report disappoints Updated: Feb-05-16 7:19 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks posted steep losses Friday, ending the week with broad declines, as investors fretted over a report showing that U.S. job creation slowed last month.
- HSBC reaches $470M deal with US, states over banking abuses Updated: Feb-05-16 6:10 pm
WASHINGTON - Banking giant HSBC has reached a $470 million settlement with the federal government and nearly all states over mortgage lending and foreclosure abuses that officials say helped intensify the country's economic meltdown, the Justice Department announced Friday.
- Energy loans likely to cause further losses for big banks Updated: Feb-05-16 12:52 pm
NEW YORK - The nation's six largest banks have hit an oil slick.
- Italian banks hit by concerns over bad loans Updated: Feb-05-16 12:31 pm
MILAN - Italian banking shares are getting battered this year as the government tries to bundle and dispose of billions of euros in bad loans while attempting to reform and consolidate the ailing sector.
- Friday's jobs report could ease US recession fears. Or not. Updated: Feb-05-16 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. manufacturing is shrinking, corporate profits are declining and goods are piling up on warehouse shelves. Those trends have elevated concern that a U.S. recession may loom in the next year or two.
- State officials say insurance exchange enrollment numbers up Updated: Feb-04-16 9:09 pm
DOVER, Delaware - State officials say figures provided by the federal government show that more Delawareans are selecting health care coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
- Skvarla pitches broadband, crowdfunding, venture capital Updated: Feb-04-16 6:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's commerce secretary says rural and small-town economies won't grow without access to high-speed Internet.
- NC insurance commissioner criticizes health care law Updated: Feb-04-16 12:40 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's insurance commissioner says he's concerned that the federal health care law is causing havoc in the insurance market in the state.
- TD Ameritrade buying FA Insight to help investment advisers Updated: Feb-04-16 10:23 am
OMAHA, Nebraska - Online brokerage TD Ameritrade is acquiring research firm FA Insight, so it can better help investment advisers it serves analyze markets and their businesses.
- ICE 4Q profit rises 28 percent, tops forecasts Updated: Feb-04-16 9:01 am
NEW YORK - IntercontinentalExchange Group Inc., which owns the New York Stock Exchange, on Thursday reported a 28 percent boost in fourth-quarter profit on higher data services and listing fees.
- Europe's top economic authorities warn of risks to growth Updated: Feb-04-16 7:14 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Europe's top economic authorities warned Thursday of the dangers to the region from the slowdown in China, weak inflation and heightened geopolitical uncertainties.
- Partner gets symbolic incarceration in Chaka Fattah Jr. scam Updated: Feb-04-16 6:27 am
PHILADELPHIA - The former business partner of a veteran Philadelphia congressman's son has been sentenced to two years' probation and symbolic incarceration for scamming thousands of dollars from area banks.
- Workshop planned in Louisville on brownfield redevelopment Updated: Feb-04-16 4:05 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - A Louisville workshop on brownfield redevelopment is being offered for bankers and property development professionals.
- Credit Suisse announces 4,000 job cuts amid big Q4 loss Updated: Feb-04-16 3:01 am
GENEVA - Credit Suisse is cutting roughly 4,000 jobs to reduce costs after announcing a massive pre-tax loss in the fourth quarter that includes "substantial charges which are not reflective of our underlying business performance," the bank said Thursday.
- Former steel manufacturer exec pleads guilty to fraud Updated: Feb-03-16 6:47 pm
BURLINGTON, Vermont - A chief financial officer of a New Hampshire steel manufacturer that faced bankruptcy has pleaded guilty in Vermont to charges of making false statements about assets, in what prosecutors said was a multi-million-dollar bank fraud case.
- Health care law makes tax season tougher for small companies Updated: Feb-03-16 1:49 pm
NEW YORK - As more requirements of the health care law take effect, income tax filing season becomes more complex for small businesses.
- 2 Mexican doctors accused in $5M claims fraud against Aflac Updated: Feb-03-16 12:31 pm
McALLEN, Texas - Two Mexican doctors are accused of submitting more than 50,000 bogus claims to a U.S. insurance company in a $5 million benefits scam.
- Irish face Feb. 26 election; premier lauds economic rebound Updated: Feb-03-16 6:29 am
DUBLIN - Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny has announced a Feb. 26 election that will pit his 5-year-old government's record of restoring economic health against critics who accuse him of rescuing banks at the expense of the poor.
- Gilead Sciences beats 4th-quarter forecasts on higher sales Updated: Feb-02-16 7:03 pm
Gilead Sciences Inc. posted a 34 percent increase in fourth-quarter profit, trouncing Wall Street expectations, as sales of its blockbuster hepatitis C drugs soared in Japan and offset lower sales in the U.S.
- Congressman's son gets 5 years for federal tax, bank fraud Updated: Feb-02-16 2:33 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The son of a veteran Philadelphia congressman was sentenced Tuesday to five years in federal prison on bank and tax fraud convictions.
- US Bank CEO on economy, interest rates, vanishing branches Updated: Feb-02-16 11:38 am
NEW YORK - Richard Davis, the chief executive of regional banking giant U.S. Bank, took his job at a terrible time: late 2006, just months before the housing bubble began to pop, which quickly led to the financial crisis and the Great Recession.
- Online mortgage lender Quicken expanding into personal loans Updated: Feb-02-16 5:48 am
DETROIT - Online mortgage lender Quicken Loans is expanding into the personal loan business.
- Insurer Aetna lays out concerns about ACA exchange business Updated: Feb-01-16 4:18 pm
Aetna has joined other major health insurers in sounding a warning about the Affordable Care Act's public insurance exchanges.