- Attorney general warns of credit card fraud in Vermont Updated: Nov-25-15 4:01 am
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Vermont Attorney General William Sorrell is warning consumers to be extra vigilant against credit card fraud as the holiday shopping season gears up.
- Arizona health insurance co-op to close shop Dec. 31 Updated: Nov-24-15 7:58 pm
PHOENIX - Executives with Arizona's nonprofit health insurance co-op said Tuesday that they have failed to come up with additional financial backing and the insurer plans to shut down all operations Dec. 31.
- Since '01, Clintons collected $35M from financial businesses Updated: Nov-24-15 4:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton wants voters to know she is no friend of Wall Street. But Wall Street has frequently been a friend to her.
- Developer found competent for trial on bank fraud charges Updated: Nov-24-15 3:40 pm
BALTIMORE - A western Maryland developer has been found competent to stand trial on federal charges he bilked banks out of $3.7 million in fraudulent real-estate schemes.
- Health co-op failure in NY leaves doctors owed millions Updated: Nov-24-15 1:23 pm
NEW YORK - The sudden collapse of the largest nonprofit insurance cooperative created by President Barack Obama's health care law is causing headaches in New York, especially for medical providers owed millions of dollars for treating the failed plan's patients.
- US bank earnings rose 5.1 percent in July-September quarter Updated: Nov-24-15 11:25 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. banks' earnings rose 5.1 percent in the July-September quarter from a year earlier, largely because of a drop in legal expenses for the largest financial services companies.
- Fed Chair Yellen defends Fed's low-rate policies Updated: Nov-23-15 5:29 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen says while many savers have been frustrated by years of low interest rates, the rock-bottom rates were needed to boost the economy after the Great Recession.
- Health insurance companies owed more than $7.1M in rebates Updated: Nov-22-15 4:08 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas consumers and businesses are owed more than $7.1 million from health insurers because those companies collected too much in premiums last year than what they spent on medical care, according to federal officials.
- Swing state Colorado mulls universal health care proposal Updated: Nov-22-15 12:19 pm
DENVER - A new plan for government-run health care that covers everyone is coming from a surprising corner: Colorado, a politically moderate swing state where Republicans and Democrats often share control of state government.
- Insurers reassure investors about ACA exchange business Updated: Nov-20-15 5:08 pm
Health insurers rallied Friday to ease investor and customer concerns about the Affordable Care Act's public insurance exchanges a day after the nation's biggest insurer questioned its future in that still-developing market.
- Springfield bank gets contract to process marijuana taxes Updated: Nov-20-15 3:47 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A Springfield bank will process Illinois sales taxes from cash medical marijuana purchases after submitting the only bid for the contract.
- NY investment adviser gets 20 years for securities fraud Updated: Nov-20-15 3:45 pm
ALBANY, New York - An upstate New York investment adviser who admitted bilking investors out more than $10 million has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
- Duchesne County recorder charged with assault Updated: Nov-20-15 2:08 pm
DUCHESNE, Utah - A Duchesne County elected official and a former title company employee are facing misdemeanor charges after a confrontation at the county administration building.
- Avera Health buying the Dakotacare health insurance company Updated: Nov-19-15 6:11 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - Regional health system Avera Health announced Thursday that it plans to buy the Dakotacare health insurance company, creating what it said would be the second-largest health insurer in South Dakota.
- With emerging-market stock funds, check what's in the tin Updated: Nov-19-15 5:08 pm
NEW YORK - When you're built different, in investing, you act different. That's why it's important to check what's in your emerging-market stock fund - even if it's an index fund.
- UnitedHealth cuts outlook, casts doubt on overhaul exchanges Updated: Nov-19-15 4:48 pm
The nation's largest health insurer is questioning its future in public insurance exchanges, the latest signal of major concerns about the online marketplaces that have helped the Affordable Care Act extend coverage to millions of people.
- Questions and answers about UnitedHealth's exchange troubles Updated: Nov-19-15 4:43 pm
UnitedHealth Group said Thursday that it is pulling back from its push into the Affordable Care Act's public insurance exchanges only a month after touting future growth prospects for that business.
- Hospitals appeal state approval of tiered health care group Updated: Nov-19-15 4:39 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A dozen medical groups are appealing the state's approval of a new alliance formed by its largest health insurer.
- House approves GOP-led bill to boost Fed oversight Updated: Nov-19-15 3:10 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican-controlled House approved a bill Thursday that supporters said would make the Federal Reserve more transparent and accountable, defying a veto threat.
- US bank offering debit card for American travelers to Cuba Updated: Nov-19-15 2:23 pm
HAVANA - American travelers who've had to carry wads of cash while visiting Cuba will now have a debit card option.
- House leader seeks quicker cut to insurance company taxes Updated: Nov-19-15 12:08 pm
PHOENIX - One of the top Republican leaders in the Arizona House wants to accelerate cuts to insurance company taxes that were included in a bill he sponsored in this spring's legislative session.
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Nov-18-15 6:26 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in the United States and abroad:
- Kentucky Editorial Roundup Updated: Nov-18-15 5:18 pm
Recent editorials from Kentucky newspapers:
- Missoula's drinking water system valued at $88.6 million Updated: Nov-18-15 4:11 pm
MISSOULA, Montana - Missoula is a step closer to buying its drinking water system after a panel of water commissioners agreed on how much it's worth.
- Minutes of meeting show Fed pondering December rate hike Updated: Nov-18-15 4:06 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve officials believed last month that the economic conditions needed to trigger the first interest rate hike in nearly a decade could "well be met" by their next meeting in December.