- Aetna curtails coverage of surgical tool tied to cancer risk Updated: May-05-15 1:49 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The health insurer Aetna is ending most coverage of hysterectomies performed with a once-popular device that has drawn warnings from federal regulators over a risk for spreading cancer.
- Ex-Barboursville pharmacy owner pleads guilty to bank charge Updated: May-05-15 7:01 am
HUNTINGTON, West Virginia - A former Barboursville pharmacy owner has pleaded guilty to avoiding federal cash reporting requirements.
- Yellen says she met with analyst but meeting not linked Updated: May-04-15 7:44 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen on Monday disclosed that she met with a financial analyst at the center of an investigation into a possible leak of confidential interest-rate information. But she says the meeting occurred several months before the private Fed discussions at issue took place, and dealt with general economic matters.
- Christie vetoes restrictions on investments involving donors Updated: May-04-15 7:38 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Gov. Chris Christie has conditionally vetoed legislation barring the state from making investments with firms whose money managers have contributed to national political campaigns.
- Macerich will nominate 2 new directors as proxy fight ends Updated: May-04-15 2:43 pm
NEW YORK - Mall operator Macerich said Monday it settled a proxy fight with two investment funds, and will nominate two new directors to its board while dropping a "poison pill" measure that helped it stave off an attempted takeover.
- Former Ga. banker sentenced on fraud charges Updated: May-04-15 2:04 pm
GAINESVILLE, Georgia - Federal prosecutors say the former vice president of a failed bank has been sentenced on fraud charges.
- Syria tries to stabilize ailing currency Updated: May-04-15 6:14 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - Syrian state media says the central bank is pumping up to $200 million into the market to help boost the sagging Syrian pound.
- AmEx to roll out loyalty program Plenti on Monday Updated: May-03-15 5:19 pm
NEW YORK - American Express will roll out a new loyalty program, Plenti, on Monday, allowing U.S. shoppers for the first time to earn rewards points through a variety of purchases, from paying a phone bill to filling up at the pump.
- Morningstar CEO's entrepreneurial spirit has Munster roots Updated: May-03-15 12:38 pm
MUNSTER, Indiana - The high school yearbook photos show a brightly smiling teen who was active in science club and chess club, and who worked on the stage crews of numerous school plays.
- Indiana couple sues Anthem over insurer's autism policy Updated: May-02-15 6:09 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - An Indiana couple whose son has autism is suing Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, alleging that its policy of denying coverage for autism therapy during school hours violates state and federal laws.
- Hedge fund manager's victims get back one-third of losses Updated: May-02-15 6:00 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The victims of a suburban Indianapolis man convicted in a financial scam will recover about one-third of the $9.7 million they lost to the hedge fund manager.
- Warwick man found guilty of defrauding banks of thousands Updated: May-01-15 5:46 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Warwick man has been convicted of orchestrating schemes that defrauded local banks out of approximately $600,000.
- Oregon health insurers seek rate hikes for individual plans Updated: May-01-15 4:46 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Several health insurance carriers in Oregon are proposing large rate increases for 2016 individual plans.
- Feds liquidate Tillamook credit union Updated: May-01-15 2:10 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - An Oregon coastal credit union's offices will remain open under a new owner after regulators liquidated the union.
- Ex-W.Va. loan officer pleads guilty to bank fraud Updated: May-01-15 1:46 pm
MARTINSBURG, West Virginia - A federal prosecutor says a former loan officer has pleaded guilty to bank fraud.
- Head of business group slams proposed tax, spending package Updated: May-01-15 10:56 am
SOUTHINGTON, Connecticut - The head of the largest business advocacy group in Connecticut criticized a package of tax and spending increases advanced by two committees of the legislature and urged businesses Friday to lobby against the proposals.
- Rural hospitals struggle to stay open, adapt to changes Updated: May-01-15 9:08 am
OSCEOLA, Missouri - After 45 years of providing health care in rural Missouri, Sac-Osage Hospital is being sold piece by piece.
- Japan inflation edges up as BOJ keeps policy unchanged Updated: May-01-15 12:43 am
TOKYO - Japan's core inflation rate edged up in March and unemployment eased slightly, according to data released Friday, offering glimmers of promise for the world's No. 3 economy as it struggles to get growth back on track after years of stagnation.
- Private option enrollment high among Arkansas parolees Updated: Apr-30-15 6:41 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - About 70 percent of the state's more than 52,000 parolees and probationers have signed up for Arkansas' compromise Medicaid expansion, prison and parole officials told a legislative task force Thursday.
- Governor vetoes 34 bills, all but 2 from Republicans Updated: Apr-30-15 5:15 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana's Democratic governor has vetoed more bills from this year's Republican-controlled Legislature than he had at this point after the 2013 session.
- Mortgage giants seen needing up to $157B in aid in disaster Updated: Apr-30-15 4:31 pm
WASHINGTON - Results of financial "stress tests" show that mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, rescued by taxpayers in the 2008 crisis, would need as much as $157.3 billion in additional aid in a severe U.S. and global recession.
- NC lawmakers push bills across hall before deadline Updated: Apr-30-15 4:01 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The North Carolina General Assembly completed Thursday its marathon week of committee and floor debate that allowed topics in about 200 more bills to stay alive for consideration during this two-year session.
- Assurant selling or closing health insurance division Updated: Apr-30-15 1:37 pm
MILWAUKEE - The parent company of Assurant Health said it will sell or shut down the insurer, which has struggled financially since the introduction of the federal Affordable Care Act.
- Insurer Cigna beats Street 1Q forecasts, raises 2015 outlook Updated: Apr-30-15 7:56 am
BLOOMFIELD, Connecticut - Cigna became the latest health insurance provider to beat earnings expectations and raise its 2015 forecast when it announced Thursday that first-quarter earnings had edged up to $533 million.
- Detroit mayor says he has plan to lower car insurance cost Updated: Apr-30-15 7:13 am
DETROIT - The mayor of Detroit says he'll ask state lawmakers to approve a car insurance program that would lower rates for city residents.