- Challenge to Arkansas gay marriage ban heard Updated: Apr-17-14 6:31 pm
- Judge in gay marriage case asks pointed questions Updated: Apr-17-14 6:10 pm
- Iowa Senate race suddenly more competitive Updated: Apr-17-14 4:30 pm
- Pregnant woman apparently was stabbed to death Updated: Apr-17-14 7:53 am
- Woman gets 10 years for trying to shoot husband Updated: Apr-17-14 2:02 am
- Judge won't merge suits on same-sex marriage ban Updated: Apr-16-14 3:02 pm
- Couple asks Supreme Court to nix marriage ban Updated: Apr-16-14 2:57 pm
- Report: High-quality child care lacking in W.Va. Updated: Apr-16-14 12:04 pm
- Delay sought on NC same-sex marriage lawsuit Updated: Apr-16-14 11:19 am
- AG, lawyers disagree over gay marriage appeal path Updated: Apr-16-14 4:05 am
- No discussion on SC anti-domestic violence bills Updated: Apr-15-14 8:23 pm
- Judge takes up ban on domestic partner benefits Updated: Apr-15-14 7:49 pm
- House rejects move notice to non-custodial parents Updated: Apr-15-14 6:13 pm
- Snyder signs legislation to speed up adoptions Updated: Apr-15-14 5:26 pm
- Judge considers staying Ohio gay marriage ruling Updated: Apr-15-14 4:13 pm
- New Ohio gay marriage ballot language approved Updated: Apr-14-14 11:38 am
- Indiana officials consider funding for adoptions Updated: Apr-14-14 11:04 am
- A roundup of recent Michigan newspaper editorials Updated: Apr-14-14 9:04 am
- Nevada GOP removes social issues from platform Updated: Apr-13-14 12:04 am
- Wood County toddler found wandering outside Updated: Apr-12-14 7:23 pm
- Chuck Lorre's sitcom 'Mom' adopts serious tone Updated: Apr-12-14 9:59 am
- UN conference provokes heated gay rights debate Updated: Apr-11-14 6:52 pm
- Mark Sanford accused of violating divorce terms Updated: Apr-11-14 5:52 pm
- Utah AG: Defense of marriage ban not about hate Updated: Apr-11-14 5:34 pm
- State GOP mulls place of social issues on platform Updated: Apr-11-14 4:16 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Advocates of ending Arkansas' ban on same-sex marriage took their case before a Pulaski County Circuit Court judge Thursday, who said at the end of the hearing that he expected to issue a ruling within two weeks.
DENVER - A judge in Colorado who will play a pivotal role deciding whether gays should be allowed to wed in the United States asked pointed questions Thursday about whether Oklahoma can legally ban the unions.
DES MOINES, Iowa - A catchy political ad and a gotcha video have raised Republican hopes of capturing a U.S. Senate seat in Iowa, enhancing the party's chances of regaining control of the chamber.
SPRINGFIELD, Missouri - A pregnant Springfield woman who was found dead in her home had reported being a victim of domestic assault several times in the past.
VANCOUVER, Washington - Prosecutors say a Vancouver, Washington, woman who fetched a pistol and pointed it at her then-husband's head after they disagreed during a divorce discussion has been sentenced to more than 10 years in prison.
PHOENIX - A federal judge is refusing to combine two separately filed lawsuits challenging Arizona's ban on same-sex marriage.
MADISON, Wisconsin - A same-sex couple has asked the Wisconsin Supreme Court to strike down the state's gay marriage ban.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Child care programs of minimum or unrated quality are watching over about 93 percent of West Virginia children enrolled in them, a report released Wednesday said.
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - North Carolina's attorney general is asking a judge to delay the most recent lawsuit over the state's same-sex marriage ban, saying an order expected later this year in another case likely will resolve the situation.
DETROIT - Attorneys who persuaded a judge to overturn Michigan's ban on gay marriage are opposing the state's request to have an entire appeals court take the case.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Senate committee on Tuesday postponed discussion of legislation targeting domestic violence in South Carolina because the Senate session ran late.
DETROIT - A ban on benefits for domestic partners in Michigan public schools and local governments might not save much money, but that's not a reason to throw out the law, a lawyer for the state told a federal judge Tuesday.
PHOENIX - The Arizona House on Tuesday rejected a bill that would have made it more difficult for a divorced mother or father to move with the children without getting the approval of a court.
LANSING, Michigan - Gov. Rick Snyder has signed legislation designed to speed up adoptions.
CINCINNATI - Attorneys for the state of Ohio asked a federal judge Tuesday to stay his decision ordering the state to recognize the marriages of same-sex couples performed in other states, a request the judge said he was inclined to grant.
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine has certified the language in a new version of a proposed constitutional amendment aimed at overturning the state's gay marriage ban.
INDIANAPOLIS - After about a year of fostering toddler Antoinette, Jackie Townsend adopted the 5-year-old she describes as the "prettiest little thing."
The Flint Journal. April 8.
LAS VEGAS - The Nevada Republican Party stripped opposition to abortion and gay marriage from its platform Saturday as state convention delegates instead focused on judging fellow Republicans on their worthiness to serve in office and adherence to GOP values.
WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wisconsin - A Wood County agency took custody of an 18-month-old boy this week who was found wandering about a block away from his home while his father slept.
LOS ANGELES - A pregnant teenager, the daughter of an unmarried mother and granddaughter of another, is repeating family history. Does she decide to keep her baby and do her immature best to raise it, or choose adoption for her offspring?
UNITED NATIONS - Many countries at this week's U.N. population conference are objecting to the idea of enshrining the right of women to make their own sexual decisions, fearing it would tacitly condone same-sex relationships, the U.N. population chief said.
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The ex-wife of U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford has accused the congressman of violating the couple's divorce agreement.
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes said Friday during a rally of gay marriage opponents that his defense of the state's same-sex marriage ban in a federal appeals court is not motivated by hate.
LAS VEGAS - Nevada Republicans meeting for a statewide convention in Las Vegas will decide this weekend whether to follow the lead of the state's largest county and strip hot-button social issues from the party platform.