- New project at Atlanta museum focuses on LGBT civil rights Updated: Sep-02-15 8:31 pm
ATLANTA - Leaders of an Atlanta museum want the space focused on modern and historic civil rights to contribute to a national push to ensure LGBT rights, particularly in southern states.
- Kentucky clerk gets help from GOP state Senate president Updated: Sep-02-15 7:11 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Republican president of the Kentucky state Senate has asked a federal judge to withhold his ruling ordering a county clerk to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
- The Latest: GOP Senate president asks for time to change law Updated: Sep-02-15 6:31 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The latest on a county clerk in Kentucky who has repeatedly refused to issue marriage licenses (all times local):
- Herring to pass on bid for governor, seek 2nd term as AG Updated: Sep-02-15 6:02 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring announced Wednesday that he will seek another four-year term as the state's top attorney rather than pursue the governor's mansion, helping to clear a path for Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam to secure the Democratic nomination in 2017.
- Lesbian couple, like Kentucky clerk, standing up for beliefs Updated: Sep-02-15 6:01 pm
MOREHEAD, Kentucky - As April Miller drove to work, still too stunned to grasp the magnitude of the fight erupting around her, an old song crackled over the car radio.
- Goodson announces bid for Arkansas chief justice Updated: Sep-02-15 4:23 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Justice Courtney Goodson launched her bid to lead the Arkansas Supreme Court on Wednesday, vowing to represent "conservative values" on a court that's been split over its handling of a gay marriage lawsuit.
- Alabama governor calls divorce private, difficult time Updated: Sep-02-15 4:23 pm
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley on Wednesday called his divorce a private matter and thanked people for their prayers in what he described as a difficult time.
- Court: No visitation rights for woman after same-sex divorce Updated: Sep-02-15 1:16 pm
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Noting the lack of state laws governing same-sex divorces, a Maryland appeals court has ruled that a lesbian woman has no right to visitation or custody of a child to whom the woman's former partner gave birth before the couple married.
- Denver moving toward approving Chick-fil-A at airport Updated: Sep-01-15 4:45 pm
DENVER - Two weeks after raising questions about allowing a Chick-fil-A restaurant at Denver's airport, city councilors are moving toward approving the deal.
- Massachusetts documents abuse, neglect of kids in state care Updated: Sep-01-15 4:31 pm
BOSTON - Documented reports of abuse or neglect of children in foster care and other out-of-home settings increased in Massachusetts last year, as did deaths among children receiving services from state agencies, according to a report filed Tuesday by the state's Child Advocate.
- 2 accused of physically abusing children at LI day care Updated: Sep-01-15 9:53 am
SOUTHAMPTON, New York - Two Long Island day care center workers are accused of physically abusing infants and toddlers in their care.
- State's appeal of gay marriage ruling dismissed Updated: Sep-01-15 5:07 am
HELENA, Montana - A federal appeals court has formally dismissed Montana's gay marriage case now that the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that same-sex couples have the right to wed.
- Task force issues 50 solutions for curbing domestic violence Updated: Aug-31-15 6:34 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A task force's recommendations for combating domestic violence in South Carolina include training more 911 operators, improving documentation of the crime scene and increasing the number of shelters statewide.
- In-home child care providers face unannounced inspections Updated: Aug-31-15 3:55 pm
BEND, Oregon - Under a new state rule, Oregon officials are showing up unannounced at homes of certain licensed child care providers.
- The Latest on governor's divorce: Bentley speaks to cabinet Updated: Aug-31-15 3:17 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The latest on the divorce filing by the wife of Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley (all times local):
- Judge seals Alabama governor's divorce file from public view Updated: Aug-31-15 12:26 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A judge has ordered that Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley's divorce case be sealed from public view.
- NY office reports $135M in overdue child support collected Updated: Aug-31-15 3:07 am
ALBANY, New York - New York's Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance reports collecting more than $135 million in overdue child support payments last year through specialized enforcement.
- Higher marriage fees, prison reforms among new Nebraska laws Updated: Aug-30-15 10:38 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - A host of new laws took effect Sunday in Nebraska, leading to changes ranging from costlier marriage licenses to expanded opportunities for nonviolent prisoners to be released for parole and probation.
- Rowan County clerk closes office ahead of gay rights protest Updated: Aug-29-15 1:07 pm
MOREHEAD, Kentucky - The Kentucky clerk at the center of a conflict over same-sex marriage closed her office Saturday ahead of a rally protesting her refusal to issue marriage licenses.
- Rowan County clerk closes office ahead of gay rights protest Updated: Aug-29-15 12:47 pm
MOREHEAD, Kentucky - The Rowan County clerk at the center of a conflict over same-sex marriage and religious conscience closed her office on Saturday ahead of a rally protesting her refusal to issue marriage licenses.
- Daughter of slain store owner finds calling through tragedy Updated: Aug-29-15 12:17 pm
YORK, Pennsylvania - The final violent act of a domestic abuser Alecia Armold never even met devastated her family. But in picking up the pieces, Armold has found what she suspects is her true calling:
- Alabama governor's wife files for divorce; pair lives apart Updated: Aug-28-15 8:33 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's first lady on Friday filed for divorce from Gov. Robert Bentley, saying their 50-year marriage has suffered an "irretrievable breakdown."
- The Latest: Alabama governor's wife files for divorce Updated: Aug-28-15 8:01 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The latest on Alabama first lady Dianne Bentley filing for divorce from Gov. Robert Bentley. (all times local):
- Ex-Utah judge removed for polygamy killed in semi wreck Updated: Aug-28-15 7:49 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A former Utah judge who was removed from the bench in 2006 for being a polygamist has died after his semi-truck crashed down a ravine, authorities said Friday.
- Mexico adoption-for-cash scheme took babies from mothers Updated: Aug-28-15 5:09 pm
MEXICO CITY - A child welfare official in northern Mexico took at least nine babies from poor or drug-addicted mothers and offered them to adoptive parents in exchange for payments ranging from $5,000 to $9,000, authorities said Friday.