- Snyder rules out Cabinet position in reaction to speculation Updated: May-04-15 5:18 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Gov. Rick Snyder said Monday he is not angling for a Cabinet position, despite speculation that could be the case as he travels around the country promoting Michigan's rebound.
- Walker promotes tax cuts before Michigan vote Updated: May-04-15 4:46 pm
LANSING, Michigan - Republican presidential contender Scott Walker on Monday touted tax cuts to boost the U.S. economy, a day before Michigan voters decide the fate of tax hikes to improve deteriorating road and bridge infrastructure.
- Ex-Christie allies plead not guilty in bridge case Updated: May-04-15 4:45 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Two former political allies of Gov. Chris Christie pleaded not guilty Monday to charges they were involved in politically motivated lane closures of the George Washington Bridge, and the attorney for one vowed to subpoena her former colleagues to prove her innocence.
- GOP field grows: Longshots Fiorina, Carson launch their bids Updated: May-04-15 4:42 pm
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson joined the rapidly expanding 2016 Republican presidential class on Monday, casting themselves as political outsiders in underdog campaigns, eager to challenge the elite of both parties.
- Financing plan for Medicaid expansion wins committee support Updated: May-04-15 12:19 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Lawmakers have repeatedly refused to expand Louisiana's Medicaid program, siding with Gov. Bobby Jindal in opposition. But on Monday, they started advancing a proposal that would help pay for an expansion if Louisiana's next governor has any interest.
- 2016 presidential prospect Gov. John Kasich returning to NH Updated: May-04-15 12:02 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) returns to New Hampshire this week as he continues to weigh a 2016 bid for president.
- Famed neurosurgeon Ben Carson announces White House campaign Updated: May-04-15 11:14 am
DETROIT - Retired surgeon Ben Carson has made it official, telling a crowd in his hometown of Detroit that he's running for president.
- O'Malley gets scrutiny over police record as Baltimore mayor Updated: May-04-15 8:16 am
BALTIMORE - Martin O'Malley often casts Baltimore as the comeback city that overcame the ravages of drugs and violence when he was mayor.
- White House Brief: Things to know about Carly Fiorina Updated: May-04-15 8:14 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Here's a look at key things to know about Carly Fiorina as she stepped into the 2016 Republican presidential campaign on Monday.
- Former tech executive Carly Fiorina enters presidential race Updated: May-04-15 7:37 am
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina says she is running for president.
- Former technology executive Carly Fiorina says she's seeking GOP presidential nomination Updated: May-04-15 7:16 am
WASHINGTON - Former technology executive Carly Fiorina says she's seeking GOP presidential nomination.
- In Congress, income inequality fact of life for food servers Updated: May-04-15 3:38 am
WASHINGTON - Income inequality is more than a political sound bite to workers in the Capitol. It's their life.
- With Walker a 2016 GOP force, Kasich and Snyder ponder runs Updated: May-04-15 3:36 am
WASHINGTON - Wisconsin's Scott Walker has emerged as a force in the 2016 White House contest. It's a position two other Republican governors from the Midwest, lesser known but similarly ambitious, undoubtedly would like to be in.
- Poverty edging into 2016 presidential race amid city unrest Updated: May-04-15 3:31 am
WASHINGTON - In a presidential campaign where candidates are jockeying to be champions of the middle class and asking wealthy people for money, the problems facing the poor are inching into the debate.
- Clinton to focus on immigration during Las Vegas stop Updated: May-03-15 10:10 pm
LAS VEGAS - Hillary Rodham Clinton will focus on immigration when she makes a campaign stop Tuesday in Las Vegas.
- Nevada Legislature Week 14: Clinton visit and more tax talk Updated: May-02-15 8:43 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - The pressure of passing a tax package to fund Gov. Brian Sandoval's two-year budget will continue to mount in Week 14 of the Nevada Legislature.
- Bridge scandal charges may prove a mixed bag for Christie Updated: May-02-15 3:23 am
NEWARK, New Jersey - The charges handed down against three former allies of Gov. Chris Christie in the George Washington Bridge traffic scandal provide mixed news for the Republican governor as he tries to regain momentum in support of an expected presidential bid.
- AP-GfK Poll: Favorable views of Clinton top her GOP rivals Updated: May-02-15 3:17 am
WASHINGTON - Americans are more likely to have a favorable view of Hillary Rodham Clinton than any of her potential Republican rivals in 2016's race for the presidency, even though few see the former secretary of state as honest, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll.
- Targeted mayor says indictment a 'punch in the gut' Updated: May-02-15 2:26 am
FORT LEE, New Jersey - A New Jersey mayor targeted for political retribution for not supporting Gov. Chris Christie's re-election effort in 2013 said that indictments in the case Friday were a "punch in the gut."
- Illinois clears major hurdle for Obama library in Chicago Updated: May-01-15 7:59 pm
CHICAGO - One of the remaining obstacles to building Barack Obama's presidential library in his hometown of Chicago fell away when Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner signed legislation Friday strengthening the city's legal ability to build the project on public park land.
- Christie to attend breakfast ahead of Georgia GOP convention Updated: May-01-15 5:22 pm
ATLANTA - New Jersey Gov. Christie Christie is scheduled to attend a breakfast event as Georgia Republicans open their state convention later this month.
- Clinton will have staff member in deep red Wyoming Updated: May-01-15 11:58 am
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - High-profile Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton hasn't given up on deep red Wyoming, a state even Republican candidates have so far ignored.
- Jeb Bush to appear at NC GOP headquarters Updated: May-01-15 9:47 am
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is appearing at the North Carolina Republican Party headquarters.
- US Sen. Rand Paul to visit Grand Rapids next week Updated: Apr-30-15 2:31 am
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - Republican presidential contender Rand Paul will make a campaign stop next week in Grand Rapids.
- Obama lives up to pledge to slow immigrant deportations Updated: Apr-29-15 8:00 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama has failed to live up to a campaign promise to push through immigration legislation, but he has met a postelection pledge to slow deportations with or without approval from Congress.