- What to watch: Religious objection bill; Abbott pre-K plan Updated: May-03-15 9:05 am
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas Legislature is in the homestretch with less than a month left in the session - and top Republicans may have to hustle if they are going to keep their loftiest promises.
- Senate education plan sends $365M more to schools Updated: Apr-29-15 6:40 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - The Minnesota Senate approved an education budget Wednesday that directs $365 million more to schools, much more than the House but only about half what Gov. Mark Dayton wanted.
- Opelika schools to eliminate pre-kindergarten next year Updated: Apr-29-15 4:23 pm
OPELIKA, Alabama - Opelika City Schools plans to eliminate pre-kindergarten classes.
- Denver-area school won't let child eat cookies in lunchbox Updated: Apr-29-15 1:31 pm
AURORA, Colorado - A suburban Denver 4-year-old came home from school disappointed, with untouched Oreos and a note from her teacher.
- Texas lieutenant governor advisers: Pre-K a 'Godless' choice Updated: Apr-21-15 8:25 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Advisers to Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick described a major bipartisan pre-K initiative as socialist and keeping children in a 'Godless environment' in a letter sent to lawmakers Tuesday.
- $3M early childhood funding bill headed to Gov. Dalrymple Updated: Apr-16-15 10:13 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A bill that provides $3 million in state funding to expand early childhood education is headed to Gov. Jack Dalrymple for his signature.
- Senate DFL doesn't go as far as Dayton on preschool spending Updated: Apr-15-15 5:07 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Majority Democrats in the Minnesota Senate aren't lining up with Gov. Mark Dayton's plan to send every 4-year-old to preschool, a sign the second-term governor's proposal needs a major push to succeed this year.
- Little Rock school to be changed into early childhood center Updated: Apr-14-15 5:35 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Little Rock School District's superintendent plans to vacate all jobs at Baseline Elementary School and convert Rockefeller Elementary into a stand-alone early childhood education center.
- $3.2 million for early childhood education in south Arkansas Updated: Apr-13-15 2:13 pm
- Dayton challenges lawmakers to take risks, invest in schools Updated: Apr-09-15 9:58 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton urged lawmakers Thursday to take political risks rather than follow public opinion polls as the Democrat sought support for an expansive preschool learning plan and other parts of his ambitious agenda in the final weeks of the legislative session.
- Texas House passes Abbott's pre-K plan; bill heads to Senate Updated: Apr-09-15 5:05 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Republican Gov. Greg Abbott's limited pre-K makeover plan - one of his top priorities - is a step closer to becoming law, having cleared the Texas House.
- New Mexico increases number of kids enrolled in preschool Updated: Apr-08-15 2:45 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico's investment in early childhood education over the past decade has dramatically increased the number of children enrolled in preschool programs, but state and federal officials say more needs to be done.
- Report: MN near bottom in rate of kids in public preschool Updated: Apr-07-15 2:23 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - A new report shows Minnesota near the bottom nationally in the rate of children enrolled in publicly funded preschool programs.
- Seattle council approves guidelines for preschool program Updated: Apr-07-15 10:28 am
SEATTLE - The Seattle City Council has unanimously approved guidelines for the city's plan to subsidize preschool.