- Pre-K plan in jeopardy, de Blasio pushes forward Updated: Mar-08-14 11:23 am
- Cardinal Dolan supports expanded NYC pre-k Updated: Mar-06-14 5:04 pm
- Study shows Ga. pre-K improves school readiness Updated: Mar-06-14 2:55 pm
- Lawmaker facing campaign over education proposal Updated: Mar-06-14 12:37 pm
- De Blasio, Cuomo push dueling education agendas Updated: Mar-04-14 8:16 pm
- Agency-by-agency summary of Obama budget Updated: Mar-04-14 11:47 am
- De Blasio to meet with Cuomo after pre-K rally Updated: Mar-04-14 11:24 am
- Idaho bill would create preschool pilot program Updated: Mar-03-14 1:07 pm
- Hawaii preschool subsidy application period opens Updated: Mar-01-14 11:04 am
- Showdown over NYC charter schools looms in Albany Updated: Feb-28-14 5:31 pm
- GOP governor candidates debate education funding Updated: Feb-27-14 8:40 pm
- Pence looks to salvage agenda with preschool pitch Updated: Feb-26-14 5:51 pm
- New Mexico Legislature adjourns 30-day session Updated: Feb-20-14 5:09 pm
- Sanders touts early education to Vermont lawmakers Updated: Feb-19-14 4:13 pm
- Tangipahoa seeking to expand Pre-K programs Updated: Feb-19-14 10:44 am
- Panel shelves early childhood education proposal Updated: Feb-17-14 10:25 pm
- House OKs bill to boost kindergarten readiness Updated: Feb-14-14 7:16 pm
- Iowa Democrats seek more funding for preschool Updated: Feb-13-14 5:09 pm
- Pence pushes preschool funding amid cost concerns Updated: Feb-13-14 8:17 am
- Preschool program proposal fails introduction Updated: Feb-12-14 3:40 pm
- Committees to consider pre-K expansion bill Updated: Feb-12-14 2:49 am
- High-tech RI project tackles low-income word gap Updated: Feb-09-14 10:50 am
- Group hopes for renaissance of MLK's old school Updated: Feb-08-14 9:10 am
- Malloy says Conn. is seeing 'real progress' Updated: Feb-06-14 6:32 pm
- Malloy budget spends more money on Conn. pre-K Updated: Feb-06-14 2:32 pm
NEW YORK - New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio's signature proposal, a tax increase on the wealthy to pay for universal prekindergarten, appears to be on life support, blocked by a governor and state lawmakers who stubbornly oppose such a tax in an election year.
NEW YORK - New York's Cardinal Timothy Dolan is pledging the support of the city's Catholic schools to create universal pre-kindergarten.
ATLANTA - State officials say a recent study shows that Georgia's pre-kindergarten program increased school readiness, and children who participated scored higher in language and math evaluations.
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A liberal advocacy group has launched a campaign against a New Mexico lawmaker for opposing a proposal to increase spending on early childhood education.
ALBANY, New York - Gov. Andrew Cuomo pledged his support to a massive pro-charter school rally Tuesday at the state Capitol as New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio urged one more push in the state Legislature for his beleaguered pre-kindergarten funding plan - underscoring the political differences between the two powerful Democrats.
Agency: Health and Human Services
ALBANY, New York - New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is set to meet with Gov. Andrew Cuomo and legislative leaders at the state Capitol as he tries to keep alive a tax to fund his signature pre-kindergarten plan.
BOISE, Idaho - A bill to launch a preschool pilot program in Idaho has won the support of the House Education Committee.
HONOLULU - Qualifying families can begin applying for state subsidies to help pay for tuition at licensed Hawaii preschools.
NEW YORK - A showdown over charter schools in New York City is looming in Albany as advocates for the schools plan to hold a rally at the state capital Tuesday just as Mayor Bill de Blasio is there pushing his pre-kindergarten plan.
CHICAGO - The four GOP candidates for Illinois governor are debating early childhood education.
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Gov. Mike Pence spent Wednesday morning highlighting the work of an Indianapolis preschool as he made a final pitch for an early education voucher plan that has foundered in the Legislature.
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The Legislature crossed the finish line Thursday of a 30-day session after agreeing on a plan to temporarily shore up a lottery-funded college scholarship program.
MONTPELIER, Vermont - U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders told Vermont lawmakers Wednesday more needs to be done to provide early childhood education and encourage children to think about going to college long before high school.
AMITE, Louisiana - The Tangipahoa Parish school system is looking into expanding prekindergarten programs at schools across the parish.
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A proposal to boost funding for early childhood education stalled Monday in a Senate committee, likely dooming it as time runs out in the legislative session.
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Kentucky House passed a bill Friday that's part of an effort to improve kindergarten readiness by expanding training for preschool staffs and broadening use of a rating system to critique day cares and preschools.
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Senate Democrats unveiled a plan Thursday that would provide more funding to school districts that expand or establish preschool programs for 4-year-olds.
INDIANAPOLIS - A plan to use state funds to pay for children of low-income families to attend preschool is drawing questions from Indiana lawmakers concerned about the cost.
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - The idea of helping local preschool programs doesn't look like it will be considered by the Legislature this session.
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Two legislative committees are ready to take up a bill that would expand prekindergarten to 1,600 more children.
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island's capital city has begun an effort to boost language skills in children from low-income families by equipping them with audio recorders that count every word they hear.
ATLANTA - Just a few blocks north of Martin Luther King Jr.'s childhood home stands an old brick school he attended, today an off-limits abandoned building that is used neither to remember King's legacy nor to educate students.
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Gov. Dannel P. Malloy hasn't announced his re-election plans yet but the revised $19 billion budget he unveiled Thursday, complete with tax rebates and more spending on early childhood education, was seen as a sign he'll be a candidate in November.
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Gov. Dannel P. Malloy is pushing to expand access to pre-kindergarten in Connecticut, proposing more than 1,000 slots be made available.