- Legislative report touts prekindergarten benefits Updated: Apr-18-14 11:25 am
- 2 South Fla. museums awarded Kellogg grants Updated: Apr-17-14 5:35 am
- Maine House OKs bill to expand preschool programs Updated: Apr-15-14 10:34 am
- Udall hosts discussion on child well-being in NM Updated: Apr-14-14 8:01 pm
- Iowa Senate approves preschool expansion plan Updated: Apr-14-14 7:03 pm
- Iowa West Foundation delivers $4.2M in grants Updated: Apr-13-14 12:01 pm
- $200M prekindergarten plan unveiled in Connecticut Updated: Apr-09-14 2:19 pm
- School funding plan advances in Illinois Senate Updated: Apr-08-14 3:11 pm
- Md. governor signs bill expanding pre-K program Updated: Apr-08-14 2:28 pm
- Business interests question Republican truths Updated: Apr-06-14 10:05 am
- Davis speaks to Texas Associated Press editors Updated: Apr-05-14 6:26 pm
- NYC faces huge task to ramp up pre-K by this fall Updated: Apr-05-14 12:48 pm
- NYC to launch pre-k registration campaign Updated: Apr-03-14 3:30 pm
- Manar introduces bill changing school funding Updated: Apr-02-14 8:07 pm
- Ross proposes expanding Arkansas pre-K program Updated: Apr-02-14 5:19 pm
- NYC mayor announces 1st wave of new pre-K seats Updated: Apr-02-14 5:10 pm
- Herbert approves private preschool grant plan Updated: Apr-02-14 5:02 pm
- White House praises New York's pre-k deal Updated: Apr-02-14 4:59 pm
- ACLU claims Hawaii preschool aid unconstitutional Updated: Apr-02-14 2:42 pm
- UNL lecture to explore early childhood survival Updated: Apr-01-14 5:07 am
- Children's commission recommends pre-K expansion Updated: Apr-01-14 3:34 am
- Abbott shifts Texas governor's race to education Updated: Mar-31-14 4:32 pm
- NYC mayor excited about pre-K funding in budget Updated: Mar-29-14 4:28 pm
- NY budget has $1.5B for pre-K over 5 years Updated: Mar-29-14 2:39 pm
- Pence signs Indiana preschool, road money bills Updated: Mar-27-14 4:44 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Prekindergarten programs deliver a greater return on the taxpayers' investment than state subsidized child care, according to a legislative report.
MIAMI - Two museums in Miami-Dade County are recipients of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation grants for programs that encourage family engagement in early childhood education.
AUGUSTA, Maine - The Maine House has given final approval to a bill designed to boost the number of public preschool programs in the state.
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - New Mexico may be the worst in the nation when it comes to child well-being, but U.S. Sen. Tom Udall on Monday said raising the minimum wage and providing unemployment insurance to those parents who have been without jobs the longest could make an immediate difference in the lives of children.
DES MOINES, Iowa - A plan to enroll more 4-year-olds in preschool and incentivize the creation or expansion of programs has won the Iowa Senate's approval.
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa - Twenty-two nonprofit groups in western Iowa and eastern Nebraska are benefiting from $4.2 million in grants.
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The state would spend $200 million over 10 years to expand statewide prekindergarten programs under an ambitious plan that leaders of the Connecticut legislature announced Wednesday.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A proposal to dramatically overhaul the state's school funding formula and allocate more money to poorer districts moved ahead in the Illinois Senate on Tuesday. The regionally divisive issue, however, likely faces a tough road in gaining support from both parties in both chambers.
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - Gov. Martin O'Malley has signed his first bill of the year, expanding the state's pre-kindergarten program to another 1,600 children from low-income families.
AUSTIN, Texas - Business interests are walking the halls of the Texas Capitol calling on lawmakers to rethink some of their past policies, hoping that after the November election they can win some key victories next year.
SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas - Democratic gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis told a gathering of Texas journalists Saturday that the state's public education system needs to change and that her Republican opponent represents the status quo.
NEW YORK - Now that New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has secured the funding for full-day pre-kindergarten, his administration faces the daunting task of hiring teachers and finding enough classrooms to be ready for 53,000 children by this fall and 20,000 more next year.
NEW YORK - Mayor Bill de Blasio is unveiling an ad campaign aimed at getting New York City parents to register their children for pre-kindergarten.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - A group of Democratic lawmakers Wednesday introduced a long-awaited piece of legislation that would dramatically change the way schools are funded in Illinois for the first time since 1997.
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Democratic gubernatorial hopeful Mike Ross proposed Wednesday expanding Arkansas' prekindergarten program to make it accessible to every 4-year-old in the state, a plan that he says eventually would cost an additional $37.4 million a year.
NEW YORK - New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is announcing 4,268 new pre-kindergarten seats for the 2014-2015 school year.
SALT LAKE CITY - Gov. Gary Herbert has approved legislation to use private grants to help cover the cost of preschool programs for at-risk Utah students.
HONOLULU - The American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii wants a court to order the state to stop providing preschool tuition subsidies for children attending religious institutions.
LINCOLN, Nebraska - "The Role of Water and Food Security in Early Childhood Survival and Development: A Global Perspective" is the title of an upcoming Heuermann (HYU'-ur-man) Lecture at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Commission on Children and Youth is recommending the state expand its pre-K and home visitation programs to help youth be more successful in school and life.
WESLACO, Texas - Republican Greg Abbott has tried to shift the Texas governor's race back to education - but not over classroom spending cuts.
NEW YORK - New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says he's excited about the $340 million for pre-kindergarten programs in the proposed state budget.
ALBANY, New York - The state budget for the fiscal year that starts Tuesday contains an estimated 5 percent increase in state funding for public schools, including $340 million for universal pre-kindergarten.
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana Gov. Mike Pence spent Thursday touting two of his top priorities -- new money for preschools and roads -- at ceremonial bill signings across the state.