- Flood slams South Carolina's already shoddy infrastructure Updated: Oct-07-15 5:27 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Long before the historic floods of the past week, crumbling roads, bridges and dams and aging drinking water systems plagued South Carolina - a poor state that didn't spend much on them in the first place and has been loath to raise taxes for upkeep.
- Group looking at 200 'deadbeat dams' to remove in Vermont Updated: Oct-07-15 10:02 am
POULTNEY, Vermont - A nonprofit organization is eyeing about 200 "'deadbeat dams" with the goal of pushing for their removal.
- Dubuque asks agency to let city look into hydropower dam Updated: Oct-06-15 12:59 pm
DUBUQUE, Iowa - Dubuque officials have asked a federal agency to let the city study the feasibility of putting a hydropower plant on the Mississippi River.
- Federal government offers $8M to remove Boardman River Dam Updated: Oct-06-15 7:57 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - The federal government has offered $8 million to help fund the removal of a dam on the Boardman River in northern Michigan.
- Feds recommend against building southeast Idaho dam Updated: Oct-01-15 5:35 pm
BOISE, Idaho - An analysis by federal authorities of a proposed dam in southeast Idaho on the Bear River has resulted in a recommendation against going forward with the project.
- Officials: Removal of Gorge Dam is possible, would cost $70M Updated: Sep-25-15 3:36 am
CUYAHOGA FALLS, Ohio - Officials confirm it's possible to remove the 57-foot-high Gorge Dam along the Cuyahoga River and say the preferred demolition plan would cost roughly $70 million to execute.
- 'Third Straw' uncapped to provide Lake Mead water to Vegas Updated: Sep-23-15 11:34 pm
LAS VEGAS - The intake was unplugged Wednesday to finish flooding an $817 million tunnel and complete a complicated and perilous "Third Straw" project to draw drinking water for Las Vegas from a shrinking Lake Mead.
- NY agency will dismantle flood-damaged Adirondack dam Updated: Sep-13-15 7:00 am
LAKE PLACID, New York - Work is slated to begin shortly on the first stage of removal of Marcy Dam in the Adirondack High Peaks.
- Districts to acquire Niobrara River rights from utility Updated: Sep-11-15 12:15 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska Public Power District has agreed to shut down a hydropower dam and sell its Niobrara River water rights in a deal that could end an eight-year struggle and provide the buyers with legal access to more water for recreation, conservation and irrigation.
- Rhode Island demolishing dam due to flood concerns Updated: Sep-11-15 3:38 am
WESTERLY, Rhode Island - A dam along the Pawcatuck River is being dismantled after hundreds of dams have contributed to severe flooding in Rhode Island.