- Switzerland joins England in qualifying for Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-09-15 5:37 pm
LONDON - Switzerland will return to the European Championship for the first time since co-hosting the tournament eight years ago after thrashing San Marino 7-0 on Friday with seven different scorers.
- Spain clinches Euro 2016 spot with 4-0 win over Luxembourg Updated: Oct-09-15 5:22 pm
LOGRONO, Spain - Santi Cazorla and Paco Alcacer scored two goals each to help Spain beat Luxembourg 4-0 on Friday and secure a spot for the holders in next year's European Championship.
- Russia beats Moldova to close in on Euro 2016 place Updated: Oct-09-15 5:02 pm
CHISINAU, Moldova - Russia took a big step toward qualifying for Euro 2016 on Friday as a 2-1 win over Moldova strengthened its hold on second place in Group G.
- Argentina forward Aguero will miss next World Cup qualifier Updated: Oct-09-15 3:36 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Sergio Aguero will miss Argentina's World Cup qualifier against Paraguay next week with a left-leg injury.
- Platini retains UEFA title, with no interim leader in place Updated: Oct-09-15 2:54 pm
LONDON - Still defiant, UEFA is standing by its man.
- UEFA opens disciplinary proceedings against Scotland, Poland Updated: Oct-09-15 1:23 pm
NYON, Switzerland - UEFA says it has started disciplinary proceedings against Scotland and Poland after a number of rule breaches, including fighting with stewards, during their European Championship qualifier at Hampden Park.
- Associate says Blatter hopes to be back within 10 days Updated: Oct-09-15 1:11 pm
LONDON - Suspended and shamed, Sepp Blatter is still hoping to return to power as FIFA president within the next 10 days.
- Brazil loses without Neymar; Argentina falls with no Messi Updated: Oct-08-15 10:25 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil showed Thursday it can't win against the best without Barcelona star Neymar, losing 2-0 at Chile as qualifying in South America opened for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- With Platini suspended, FIFA election field more uncertain Updated: Oct-08-15 7:43 pm
LONDON - From sure bet to suspended, Michel Platini's career in soccer politics could be over.
- Portugal, Northern Ireland book Euro 2016 places Updated: Oct-08-15 7:27 pm
BERLIN - Portugal and Northern Ireland booked their places at Euro 2016 on Thursday, while world champion Germany was made to wait after being upset 1-0 by Ireland in Dublin.
- Ireland upsets Germany 1-0 in Euro 2016 qualifier Updated: Oct-08-15 5:56 pm
DUBLIN - Substitute Shane Long scored five minutes after coming on for Ireland to upset world champion Germany 1-0 and clinch at least a playoff place for Euro 2016 on Thursday.
- France beats Armenia 4-0 in friendly match Updated: Oct-08-15 5:39 pm
NICE, France - Karim Benzema ended a one-year scoring drought with his national team in style, netting two goals and setting up another as France beat Armenia 4-0 in a friendly match on Thursday.
- Portugal goes to Euro 2016; Denmark, Albania seek 2nd spot Updated: Oct-08-15 5:33 pm
BRAGA, Portugal - Portugal beat Denmark 1-0 Thursday and clinched qualification for next year's European Championship, securing top place in Group I.
- The Latest: Hayatou says Platini can be credible candidate Updated: Oct-08-15 2:13 pm
ZURICH - The Latest from the FIFA investigation (all time local):
- Statement from suspended UEFA President Michel Platini Updated: Oct-08-15 1:49 pm
Statement from suspended UEFA President Michel Platini:
- Column: Sepp Blatter, hoisted by his own petard at FIFA Updated: Oct-08-15 1:34 pm
PARIS - The delicious irony of it: Sepp Blatter tossed out of football, at least temporarily, by a FIFA policing body that he himself helped create when the world was still his oyster.
- Practicing in a car park: WCup qualifying for Somalia's team Updated: Oct-08-15 12:24 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - While revelations swirl of FIFA executives in expensive suits taking millions in bribes to award money-spinning World Cups, some of the poorest teams face near-impossible challenges to make it to soccer's biggest tournament, and try their hearts out anyway.
- Bach calls for 'external' candidate to take over FIFA Updated: Oct-08-15 11:24 am
LONDON - Declaring that "enough is enough," IOC President Thomas Bach called Thursday for an "external presidential candidate" to take over FIFA and restore credibility to world soccer's scandal-scarred governing body.
- South Sudan WCup qualifying debut ends day later in 1-1 draw Updated: Oct-08-15 10:17 am
JUBA, South Sudan - South Sudan earned a draw in its World Cup qualifying debut, holding Mauritania to 1-1 Thursday, a day after the game began and was then abandoned because of heavy rain.
- In Hayatou, FIFA gets another controversial strongman Updated: Oct-08-15 9:36 am
With Sepp Blatter suspended, the top job at FIFA falls automatically to Issa Hayatou, the son of a sultan from northern Cameroon who has ruled African soccer for 27 years.
- North Korea's perfect qualifying record ends with 0-0 draw Updated: Oct-08-15 6:05 am
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea's perfect record in World Cup qualifying came to an end Thursday after being held to a 0-0 draw by the Philippines.
- Torres scores in 65th minute, Mexico beats Honduras 2-1 Updated: Oct-08-15 1:00 am
COMMERCE CITY, Colorado - Erick Torres scored in the 65th minute to help Mexico beat 10-man Honduras 2-1 on Wednesday night and wrap up Group B in the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament.
- Flores scores in 82nd minute, Costa Rica ties Haiti 1-1 Updated: Oct-07-15 9:26 pm
COMMERCE CITY, Colorado - Dylan Flores scored in the 82nd minute and Costa Rica tied Haiti 1-1 on Wednesday night in their Group B finale in the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament.
- No Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Rodriguez as qualifying opens Updated: Oct-07-15 3:48 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez and James Rodriguez will all be missing when 2018 World Cup qualifying gets underway in South America on Thursday.
- South Sudan's WCup qualifying debut ended early by rain Updated: Oct-07-15 1:33 pm
South Sudan's debut in World Cup qualifying will have to be played over two days after it was abandoned after just 10 minutes because of heavy rain on Wednesday with the score 1-1 against Mauritania.