- Costco: FDA tests point toward E. coli in salad vegetables Updated: Nov-25-15 7:47 pm
SEATTLE - Costco officials say testing has pointed toward a vegetable mix from a California food wholesaler as the source of E. coli in the company's chicken salad that has been linked to an outbreak that has sickened 19 people in seven states.
- Edwin Edwards hospitalized with pneumonia Updated: Nov-25-15 6:56 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Former Louisiana Gov. Edwin Edwards has been hospitalized.
- Turing reneges on drug price cut, rival's version sells well Updated: Nov-25-15 5:41 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - After weeks of criticism from patients, doctors and other drugmakers for hiking a life-saving medicine's price more than fifty-fold, Turing Pharmaceuticals is reneging on its pledge to cut the $750-per-pill price.
- FDA approves booster-enhanced flu vaccine for seniors Updated: Nov-25-15 3:52 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal health officials have approved a first-of-a-kind flu vaccine that contains a booster to help protect seniors vulnerable to the virus.
- Virginia health officials say flu season off to slow start Updated: Nov-25-15 2:41 am
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Virginia health officials say the flu season is off to a slow start, with no confirmed cases in the state so far.
- HIV now treatable but most states keep laws criminalizing it Updated: Nov-24-15 3:41 pm
Charlie Sheen's recent revelation that he's HIV-positive served as a reminder that his home state of California remains among a large group of states with HIV-specific criminal laws that activists consider outdated and that the U.S. Department of Justice says should be revised.
- Costco pulls chicken salad from shelves Updated: Nov-24-15 3:23 pm
HELENA, Montana - Health officials say chicken salad from Costco may be linked to several recent cases of food poisoning in four states, including Montana.
- Utah reports 5 E. coli cases linked to Costco chicken salad Updated: Nov-24-15 1:27 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Utah authorities are investigating after five people were sickened by E. coli linked to chicken salad from Costco.
- Blue Bell resuming ice cream sales in Louisiana, Mississippi Updated: Nov-24-15 12:41 pm
BRENHAM, Texas - Blue Bell ice cream will be available in Louisiana and Jackson, Mississippi, on Dec. 21 after listeria contamination halted sales and prompted cleanup of production plants.
- Hannibal hotel closes after Legionnaires' bacteria found Updated: Nov-24-15 8:57 am
HANNIBAL, Missouri - A hotel in northeast Missouri's Hannibal is temporarily closed after health officials found evidence of the respiratory-related Legionnaires' disease there.
- Liberia records 1st Ebola death since July Updated: Nov-24-15 7:25 am
MONROVIA, Liberia - A teenage boy has died of Ebola in Liberia, a health official said Tuesday, the first fatality since July in one of the three West African countries hit hardest by the worst ever outbreak of the disease.
- Costco pulls chicken salad off shelves due to E. coli Updated: Nov-23-15 9:58 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Authorities say chicken salad from Costco has been linked to at least one case of E. coli in Washington state.
- After avian flu, governor's turkey event has weightier feel Updated: Nov-23-15 7:11 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - One bird may have been the star Monday, but Gov. Mark Dayton and Minnesota turkey producers held the flapping 40-pounder out as a tribute to an important agriculture sector in the midst of a rebound.
- Using new gene drive to create malaria-resistant mosquitoes Updated: Nov-23-15 2:58 pm
WASHINGTON - California researchers hatched some malaria-resistant mosquitoes and then gave evolution a shove - using a groundbreaking technology to ensure the insects pass on that protective gene as they reproduce, with implications far beyond the promise of fighting malaria.
- Editorials from around Oregon Updated: Nov-23-15 12:34 pm
Selected editorials from Oregon newspapers.
- Chipotle bounces back after end-of-week sell-off Updated: Nov-23-15 11:39 am
NEW YORK - Chipotle rebounded from a heavy sell-off in shares to end last week after it was discovered that the E. coli outbreak connected to restaurant chain had spread from the Pacific Northwest to a number of other states.
- Chickenpox outbreak keeps over 35 students out of school Updated: Nov-23-15 3:45 am
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - More than 35 unimmunized students at two Traverse City elementary schools will be kept out of the classroom for three weeks after a chickenpox outbreak.
- New drug to fight respiratory virus in infants Updated: Nov-22-15 3:17 pm
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Le Bonheur Children's Hospital will begin testing what researchers consider to be a promising new medicine on babies infected with a respiratory virus that's the leading cause of the hospitalization of infants nationwide.
- Hawaii County tries to cut down on mosquito breeding grounds Updated: Nov-22-15 3:08 pm
HILO, Hawaii - Disused tires collect water and give mosquitoes a breeding ground, which Hawaii County is trying to reduce amid a dengue fever outbreak by offering free recycling.
- Experts foresee big premium increases for Medicare drug plan Updated: Nov-22-15 9:52 am
WASHINGTON - With time running out on open enrollment season, many seniors are facing sharply higher premiums for Medicare's popular prescription drug program. The reason: rising drug costs have overtaken a long stretch of stable premiums.
- Maryland QB Hills out with mono, Rowe to start vs Indiana Updated: Nov-21-15 11:37 am
COLLEGE PARK, Maryland - Maryland quarterback Perry Hills has mononucleosis and will miss Saturday's game against Indiana.
- 'The Potomac Lice Lady' is a sought-after nitpicker Updated: Nov-21-15 9:01 am
WASHINGTON - The cars, some from as far as Georgia, pull up to the stately brick home tucked into an affluent Washington suburb. Some of the people who emerge are tearful, others are panicked. Most are itchy.
- CDC: Don't let dengue outbreak change Hawaii travel plans Updated: Nov-20-15 8:56 pm
HONOLULU - The growing dengue fever outbreak on Hawaii's Big Island isn't a reason to cancel vacation plans to the Aloha State, an official with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.
- E. coli outbreak linked to Chipotle expands to 6 states Updated: Nov-20-15 7:29 pm
NEW YORK - An outbreak of E. coli linked to Chipotle that originated in the Pacific Northwest has spread south and east and has now infected people in six states.
- New York E. coli case linked to Chipotle restaurant Updated: Nov-20-15 3:21 pm
BUFFALO, New York - New York health authorities are linking a case of E. coli to a Buffalo-area Chipotle restaurant.