- Prison worker accused of helping killers escape due in court Updated: Jul-28-15 6:37 am
PLATTSBURGH, New York - A northern New York prison worker accused of smuggling hacksaw blades in frozen hamburger meat to two killers who later broke out and spent more than two weeks on the run is due in court Tuesday for arraignment.
- Thailand remains blacklisted by US for human trafficking Updated: Jul-28-15 1:25 am
BANGKOK - Thai authorities are upset about being blacklisted by the U.S. for the second year in a row for failing to do enough to combat modern-day slavery.
- Police training to include how to handle human trafficking Updated: Jul-27-15 6:34 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Newly required training hours for Ohio police officers will include the basics of how to recognize and handle human trafficking cases, Attorney General Mike DeWine said Monday.
- Malaysia, Cuba taken off US human trafficking blacklist Updated: Jul-27-15 12:52 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic lawmakers and rights groups on Monday accused the State Department of politicizing its annual rankings of nations on their efforts to combat modern-day slavery, as key trading partner Malaysia was taken off a blacklist.
- AP Exclusive: AP tracks slave boats to Papua New Guinea Updated: Jul-27-15 9:16 am
YANGON, Myanmar - From space, the fishing boats are just little white specks floating in a vast stretch of blue water off Papua New Guinea. But zoom in and there's the critical evidence: Two trawlers loading slave-caught seafood onto a massive refrigerated cargo ship.
- Chicago sex trafficker gets 10 years in federal prison Updated: Jul-26-15 5:04 am
CHICAGO - A Chicago man has been sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for forcing teenage girls into prostitution.
- Guatemala extradites alleged drug trafficker to US Updated: Jul-24-15 3:46 pm
GUATEMALA CITY - An alleged member of the Zetas drug organization in Guatemala has been extradited to the United States.
- Feds: 5 sold heroin that killed 3 in western Pennsylvania Updated: Jul-24-15 1:25 pm
PITTSBURGH - Five men sold heroin that caused the overdose deaths of two men and one woman in western Pennsylvania earlier this year, federal authorities said Friday.
- More than 100 suspects face Thai human trafficking charges Updated: Jul-24-15 6:38 am
BANGKOK - Thailand's state prosecutors recommended charges against more than 100 people, including a Thai army general, in a multinational human trafficking scandal that came to light after dozens of bodies were discovered in the country's south earlier this year, a spokesman said Friday.
- Woman indicted on sex-trafficking counts involving a minor Updated: Jul-23-15 8:04 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - A 36-year-old Baton Rouge woman accused of running a sex trafficking business from her home, and prostituting a minor in the process, has been indicted on federal charges.
- Police: Woman rescued after being held captive in closet Updated: Jul-22-15 10:26 pm
RICHMOND, California - Authorities said Wednesday they rescued a human trafficking victim who told police she was kept in a closet and sexually and physically abused almost daily for a year.
- US serves 105 warrants in Puerto Rico drug ring crackdown Updated: Jul-22-15 1:53 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - A group of 105 people in Puerto Rico face murder, drug and weapon charges in one of the largest racketeering cases in the history of the U.S. Department of Justice, authorities said Wednesday.
- Wilson helping train businesses about human trafficking Updated: Jul-22-15 4:05 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Attorney General Alan Wilson is working with federal officials to bring more attention to human trafficking.
- 8 indicted in Topeka cocaine trafficking ring Updated: Jul-22-15 3:17 am
TOPEKA, Kansas - Eight people have been indicted on federal charges of trafficking about $1.7 million of powder cocaine in the Topeka area.
- 37 indicted in Youngstown area for large-scale drug ring Updated: Jul-22-15 3:08 am
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - Authorities say 37 people have been indicted in northeast Ohio for their involvement in a drug trafficking organization.
- Furniture business admits smuggling endangered abalone, fish Updated: Jul-22-15 12:23 am
SAN DIEGO - Federal prosecutors say a Los Angeles-based furniture business has pleaded guilty to smuggling endangered seafood.
- Venezuela arrests 2 military officers for drug trafficking Updated: Jul-21-15 9:49 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Two retired Venezuelan military officers sought on drug trafficking charges have been arrested, authorities announced.
- Romanian police raid sewers, detain suspected drug dealers Updated: Jul-21-15 12:12 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Police in Romania have searched the capital's sewers in an anti-drug raid and detained dozens of people for questioning on suspicion of trafficking.
- Concord inmate challenges new state law reducing sentences Updated: Jul-21-15 11:50 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A Concord inmate with ties to a white supremacist group is challenging a new state law allowing prisoners to earn time off from sentences, claiming it violates his and other gang members' civil rights by disqualifying them.
- Plea deal likely for suspected Moss Point drug trafficker Updated: Jul-21-15 8:20 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - Federal court records show the trial of an alleged drug trafficker in Moss Point has been delayed because of ongoing plea negotiations.
- Man found guilty of trafficking teen at gentlemen's club Updated: Jul-21-15 4:58 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Boston man has been found guilty of trafficking a teenager and acting as her pimp while she prostituted herself at a gentlemen's club in Rhode Island.
- Georgia inmates charged in drug trafficking conspiracy Updated: Jul-20-15 9:07 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Two Georgia prison inmates are accused of helping direct a drug trafficking operation in northeastern Alabama from behind bars, federal prosecutors said Monday.
- Man accused of luring woman faces human trafficking charge Updated: Jul-20-15 5:40 pm
CAQMDEN, New Jersey - A man who allegedly lured a Texas woman to New Jersey for a modeling job but instead forced her to dance at a Philadelphia strip club is now facing human trafficking charges.
- Ohio to speed up delivery of services to trafficking victims Updated: Jul-20-15 4:34 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The state plans to speed up the help it provides victims of human trafficking including addictions treatment and shelter options, one of several priorities outlined in a new report released Monday.
- Dallas man gets 22 years in sex trafficking of girl, 16 Updated: Jul-20-15 6:28 am
NEW ORLEANS - U.S. Attorney Kenneth Polite (Puh-LEET) says a 26-year-old Dallas man who created a radio program called "Cheap Hoes Gotta Go" has been sentenced after admitting he brought a 16-year-old to Louisiana as a prostitute.