- Connecticut hedge fund leader receives 2 years in prison Updated: May-05-15 7:43 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - A man who fought drug trafficking in the Caribbean as a U.S. Navy officer before beginning a finance career in Connecticut was sentenced Tuesday to two years and nine months in prison for misleading investors about accounts in the Cayman Islands.
- Arkansas woman charged with human trafficking Updated: May-05-15 6:04 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A Wynne woman is charged with human trafficking stemming from allegations that she forced two teenagers into prostitution and was being held Tuesday on $250,000 bond.
- Calif. man pleads guilty to heroin trafficking in New Mexico Updated: May-05-15 5:00 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A California man is facing up to 20 years in federal prison after pleading guilty to heroin trafficking in New Mexico.
- Investigators search top Russian museum in smuggling case Updated: May-05-15 3:10 pm
MOSCOW - Russia's top investigative agency says it is conducting a search of Moscow's Tretyakov Gallery, considered the world's top collection of Russian fine art, in connection with an art smuggling case.
- Deal signs bills cracking down on child sex trafficking Updated: May-05-15 1:40 pm
ATLANTA - Gov. Nathan Deal signed two measures Tuesday aimed at cracking down on the sexual exploitation of children by levying an annual $5,000 fee on strip clubs and fining pimps and other sex traffickers $2,500 to finance a fund to help kids forced into prostitution.
- Thai police find new trafficker camps; crackdown intensifies Updated: May-05-15 9:05 am
PADANG BESAR, Thailand - Police found two more camps Tuesday believed to have held human trafficking victims in southern Thailand - one recently abandoned and the other containing a buried skeleton - days after the grim discovery of 26 bodies at a separate location exposed a thriving human smuggling network in the country.
- Springfield man pleads guilty to drug charges Updated: May-05-15 5:58 am
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - A Springfield man faces up to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to federal heroin trafficking charges.
- WV woman pleads guilty to drug trafficking conspiracy Updated: May-05-15 5:58 am
WHEELING, West Virginia - A 29-year-old Moundsville woman has been convicted in federal court of drug trafficking.
- Former California police detective sentenced Updated: May-04-15 5:37 pm
FRESNO, California - A former Fresno police detective has been sentenced to two years in prison for accepting a bribe from a suspected drug trafficker.
- Officers arrest man at JFK after cocaine found in underwear Updated: May-04-15 4:40 pm
NEW YORK - A Jamaican citizen who arrived at John F. Kennedy International Airport is facing federal drug smuggling charges. Authorities say officers found about a pound of cocaine - in his underwear.
- Thailand arrests 4, vows crackdown on human traffickers Updated: May-04-15 8:49 am
PADANG BESAR, Thailand - Police arrested three Thai officials and a Myanmar citizen in a crackdown on a long-existing criminal network that smuggles persecuted ethnic Muslims from Myanmar into Thailand and holds them captive in camps where scores have died before they can pay ransoms demanded for their freedom.
- 2 to appear in court on human trafficking, other charges Updated: May-03-15 12:52 pm
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - Records show that a man and woman charged with human trafficking and kidnapping are scheduled to appear in court.
- Man admits conspiring to illegally export firearms parts Updated: May-02-15 12:11 pm
CAMDEN, New Jersey - A southern New Jersey man has admitted his role in a conspiracy to smuggle more than $200,000 worth of firearms parts out of the United States.
- 2 Iowa residents plead guilty in Va. sex trafficking case Updated: May-01-15 6:17 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - Two Iowa residents have pleaded guilty in a federal sex trafficking case in Virginia.
- Witch doctor gets federal prison for drug protection scheme Updated: May-01-15 10:22 am
BEAUMONT, Texas - A Nigerian man who federal prosecutors say portrayed himself as a "witch doctor" has been sentenced to 14 years in prison for collecting hundreds of thousands of dollars from cocaine traffickers looking to get his supernatural protection from authorities.
- Truck driver charged in 100-pound meth bus in Kansas Updated: Apr-30-15 7:02 pm
KANSAS CITY, Kansas - A California truck driver accused of transporting about 100 pounds of methamphetamine through Kansas faces federal charges.
- 2 draw life sentences in Texas-Mexico drug case Updated: Apr-30-15 6:50 pm
DEL RIO, Texas - Two men have been sentenced to life in U.S. federal prisons for helping smuggle drugs into Texas and weapons to Mexico.
- 12 arrested in New Mexico methamphetamine trafficking ring Updated: Apr-30-15 6:34 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Authorities say 12 people have been arrested in an investigation targeting a methamphetamine trafficking ring operating in New Mexico's Grant County.
- Jail guard pleads guilty to taking bribes for contraband Updated: Apr-30-15 5:52 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - A corrections officer in northern New Jersey has pleaded guilty to accepting a $1,000 bribe in exchange for smuggling contraband.
- Mexico arrests suspect in forced-prostitution ring Updated: Apr-30-15 4:54 pm
MEXICO CITY - U.S. officials say they joined Mexican authorities last month in arresting one of the leaders of a forced-prostitution ring that used young women from Mexico in a New York City operation.
- New charges in drug case believed linked to shooting death Updated: Apr-30-15 3:38 pm
PITTSBURGH - A federal grand jury has returned a new indictment in a heroin trafficking case that authorities believe was linked to the shooting death of a Pittsburgh woman last year, federal prosecutors said.
- New Hampshire restricts inmate mail over smuggling increase Updated: Apr-30-15 9:01 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - In hopes of halting drug smuggling, the New Hampshire Department of Corrections is putting new restrictions on what kind of mail can be sent to inmates.
- Texan admits to trafficking drug to pay off gambling debt Updated: Apr-30-15 5:47 am
GULFPORT, Mississippi - A 39-year-old Texas man has pleaded guilty in Mississippi to interstate travel in aid of a racketeering organization.
- Bill would require signs to inform about human trafficking Updated: Apr-29-15 5:08 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Strip clubs, massage studios and hospitals will have to hang signs alerting people about human trafficking under a bill that's going to Gov. Rick Scott.
- Most weapons found in NYC jails are homemade, report shows Updated: Apr-29-15 5:04 pm
NEW YORK - Nearly 80 percent of the 2,100 weapons recovered in New York City jails last year were shivs and shanks made from materials scrounged in the jailhouse, according to a new report that advocates say is at odds with the official view that smuggled razors are behind a recent surge in stabbings and slashings.