- Hungary bars migrants from trains; smugglers wait in wings Updated: Sep-01-15 5:12 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary stunned migrants and European partners Tuesday by blocking asylum-seekers from its westbound trains, a move that raised new challenges for the EU's passport-free travel zone and could drive many into the reckless hands of cross-border smugglers.
- The Latest: Trafficking surges in fake Syrian passports Updated: Sep-01-15 10:10 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The latest developments as tens of thousands of migrants flood into countries across Europe. All times local (CET):
- Thai prime minister says bombing suspect arrested at border Updated: Sep-01-15 9:27 am
BANGKOK - Thai authorities arrested a man they believe is part of a group responsible for a deadly bombing at a shrine in central Bangkok two weeks ago, the prime minister announced Tuesday. He said the suspect resembles a yellow-shirted man in a surveillance video who police say planted the bomb.
- New Jersey man admits to forcing 7 women into prostitution Updated: Sep-01-15 3:10 am
MAYS LANDING, New Jersey - An Atlantic City man has admitted to using threats of violence to force seven women into prostitution at the Jersey shore resort town.
- Austria inspects trucks for migrants, creates 18-mile backup Updated: Aug-31-15 5:28 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Austria stepped up vehicle inspections Monday at its Hungarian border after 71 migrants apparently suffocated in a truck, creating a huge traffic jam on the main Budapest-Vienna highway.
- Man pleads guilty to lower charge in prostitution case Updated: Aug-31-15 4:47 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A Nevada man arrested during an anti-human trafficking investigation in North Dakota has pleaded guilty to a lower charge.
- 2 men sentenced for roles in multistate drug operation Updated: Aug-31-15 12:28 pm
CLARKSBURG, West Virginia - Two men have been sentenced for their roles in a multistate drug trafficking operation.
- Egypt starts dig on Gaza border to stop smuggling tunnels Updated: Aug-31-15 7:10 am
RAFAH, Gaza Strip - Egyptian military bulldozers are digging through the sand along Egypt's border with the Gaza Strip in recent days, pressing ahead with what appears to be a renewed campaign to pressure Gaza's Hamas rulers and stamp out militant activity along the border.
- China seizes 620 turtles and tortoises smuggled from Vietnam Updated: Aug-30-15 7:07 am
BEIJING - Chinese border patrol officials seized 620 wild turtles and tortoises - 510 of them considered endangered - that were found alive in a shipment of frozen seafood from Vietnam, state media said Sunday.
- Residents take canoes as Venezuela expands border closure Updated: Aug-29-15 8:47 pm
BOCA DEL GRITA, Venezuela - Venezuelans took to dugout canoes to shop in Colombia on Saturday as a government crackdown on smuggling and migrants cut off access to at least six border crossings key to the life of communities on both sides.
- Venezuela extends border closure despite Colombia's protests Updated: Aug-28-15 8:28 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro on Friday broadened a crackdown on Colombian migrants and border smugglers that has drawn strong rebuke by Colombian leaders and international organizations.
- Europe's migrant crisis brings new death by land and sea Updated: Aug-28-15 4:28 pm
VIENNA - Death and desperation mounted in Europe's migrant crisis Friday as Austrian police said 71 people appeared to have suffocated in the back of an abandoned truck, while an estimated 200 people were feared drowned off Libya when two overloaded boats capsized.
- Cousin of drug kingpin sentenced to 16 years in prison Updated: Aug-28-15 1:22 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - A cousin of one of the world's most notorious drug lords who prosecutors say was working to distribute cocaine in the United States has been sentenced in a New Hampshire court to 16 years in federal prison.
- Sicily detains 10 smugglers in deaths of 52 migrants Updated: Aug-28-15 12:05 pm
ROME - Prosecutors in Sicily detained 10 people on suspicion of smuggling and murder Friday for having allegedly crammed dozens of migrants into the airless hold of a boat where 52 bodies were found this week.
- 2 suspected drug smugglers arrested in Stanfield Updated: Aug-28-15 10:46 am
STANFIELD, Arizona - Authorities say two Casa Grande men have been arrested after being caught in Stanfield trying to smuggle marijuana.
- California man accused of human trafficking in New Jersey Updated: Aug-28-15 10:38 am
ELMWOOD PARK, New Jersey - Bail is set at $500,000 for a truck driver from California who is accused of bringing two teenage girls to New Jersey to work as prostitutes.
- 200 feared dead in latest migrant disaster off Libya's coast Updated: Aug-28-15 9:50 am
ZUWARA, Libya - Libyan authorities were collecting the bodies of migrants who drowned off the coastal city of Zuwara, with some 200 feared dead on Friday in the latest disaster involving desperate people trying to reach Europe across the Mediterranean.
- The Latest: Red Crescent: At least 105 dead in sea off Libya Updated: Aug-28-15 8:47 am
GENEVA - Here are the latest developments Friday regarding the tens of thousands of migrants trying to reach Europe.
- Officers stop 16 firearms from being smuggled into Mexico Updated: Aug-27-15 7:19 pm
NOGALES, Arizona - Federal authorities have arrested a Phoenix-area woman accused of trying to smuggle over a dozen firearms from Arizona into Mexico.
- California man gets prison term for heroin trafficking Updated: Aug-27-15 6:35 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A California man has been sentenced to more than two years in federal prison for heroin trafficking in New Mexico.
- Judge gives 18 years to head of Georgia-to-New York gun ring Updated: Aug-27-15 6:31 pm
NEW YORK - The leader of an illegal Georgia-to-New York gun ring, who in seven months sold 151 weapons to an undercover officer on a Brooklyn street corner, was sentenced Thursday to 18 years in state prison.
- US senator: Cultural change needed to stop human trafficking Updated: Aug-27-15 2:50 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - While laws are changing to reflect the reality that child prostitutes are victims, cultural attitudes also need to change, U.S. Sen. Rob Portman said Thursday after hearing from experts and a survivor of child trafficking.
- European police break up Nigerian gang trafficking cocaine Updated: Aug-27-15 5:29 am
PRAGUE - European police say 10 people have been arrested and cocaine seized across the continent in an international operation against a Nigerian drug trafficking gang.
- Tulsa police seize 22 pounds of meth in traffic stop Updated: Aug-27-15 3:58 am
TULSA, Oklahoma - Tulsa authorities have seized 22 pounds of methamphetamine during a traffic stop.
- Suit filed over smuggling boat capsize death off California Updated: Aug-26-15 5:06 pm
SAN DIEGO - The parents of a Mexican woman who died when a smuggling boat capsized off the Southern California coast are suing U.S. government agents they claim rammed the vessel.