- Haitian man pleads guilty in US migrant smuggling case Updated: May-24-15 3:05 am
FORT PIERCE, Florida - A Haitian man is facing U.S. prison time after pleading guilty to illegally smuggling migrants aboard a boat from the Bahamas.
- TBI arrests more than dozen in human trafficking operation Updated: May-22-15 5:39 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation says it placed fake ads for prostitutes and arrested about a dozen people this week as part of an operation to better understand human trafficking in the state.
- Plea entered in human trafficking case Updated: May-22-15 4:05 pm
NEW ORLEANS - A man has pleaded guilty to two counts of human trafficking in a case involving two teenage girls forced into prostitution.
- Men who smuggled guns to NYC on buses sentenced Updated: May-22-15 12:07 am
NEW YORK - A pair of Southern gun runners charged with smuggling firearms into New York City will be spending time behind bars.
- Arizona man pleads guilty to meth trafficking in New Mexico Updated: May-21-15 6:50 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - An Arizona man is facing a five-year sentence in federal prison after pleading guilty to distributing methamphetamine in New Mexico.
- Bond set at $50,000 cash for human trafficking suspect Updated: May-21-15 10:42 am
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Bond has been set at $50,000 cash for a man accused of human trafficking in the Bismarck-Mandan area.
- Virginia ex-correctional officer indicted in bribery scheme Updated: May-21-15 4:44 am
PETERSBURG, Virginia - Authorities say a former correctional officer has been indicted in a bribery scheme involving smuggling drugs and cigarettes to inmates at a federal prison in exchange for money.
- Atlanta airport to host human trafficking art exhibit Updated: May-21-15 4:20 am
ATLANTA - The world's busiest airport will soon be home to a temporary art exhibit meant to raise awareness of human trafficking.
- More than 70 arrests after investigation into street gang Updated: May-20-15 2:36 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - More than 70 people have been arrested after a long-running investigation into a New Jersey street gang on charges, including drug trafficking, witness intimidation, and a plot to kill an FBI agent, prosecutors announced Wednesday.
- Japanese grandfather gets life term in Indonesia drug case Updated: May-20-15 9:43 am
PARIAMAN, Indonesia - A Japanese man who says he was deceived into carrying someone else's bag on a flight into Indonesia was sentenced to life in prison Wednesday for smuggling methamphetamine into the country.
- Sentence rescheduled to June 5 for drug lord's cousin Updated: May-20-15 7:16 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Sentencing has been rescheduled for a cousin of one of the world's most notorious drug lords for his role in trying to expand the violent cartel's reach into Europe and the United States.
- Honolulu's top prosecutor urges veto of sex trafficking ban Updated: May-20-15 12:07 am
HONOLULU - Honolulu's top prosecutor is urging Gov. David Ige to veto a bill that would ban sex trafficking in Hawaii.
- Venezuela's No. 2 denies any involvement in drug trafficking Updated: May-19-15 9:49 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - The powerful leader of Venezuela's congress on Tuesday fiercely denied allegations he might be involved in the drug trade.
- Ricketts approves new penalties for human traffickers Updated: May-19-15 6:59 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Human traffickers could face harsher penalties and lawsuits under a new law signed by Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts.
- Oakland airport baggage handlers charged with pot smuggling Updated: May-19-15 4:20 pm
OAKLAND, California - Three baggage handlers at Oakland International Airport are accused of using their security clearance to get marijuana-packed suitcases past checkpoints and onto planes as part of a drug smuggling ring involving 11 other people, federal prosecutors said.
- Congress sends anti-trafficking bill to Obama Updated: May-19-15 2:27 pm
WASHINGTON - The House approved long-awaited legislation on Tuesday to combat human trafficking, sending it to President Barack Obama for his signature.
- Drug ring member sentenced for conspiring to sell heroin Updated: May-19-15 1:54 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Another member of a large-scale drug trafficking ring that sold heroin at the Jersey Shore is headed to prison.
- Italy drops illegal-detention hypothesis in deadly shipwreck Updated: May-19-15 9:19 am
CATANIA, Sicily - Authorities won't seek charges of illegal detention against two alleged smugglers in connection with a Mediterranean shipwreck believed to have killed more than 800 migrants, a prosecutor said Tuesday.
- Oklahoma City police arrest 16 in prostitution investigation Updated: May-19-15 1:44 am
OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma - Sixteen people have been arrested by Oklahoma City police as a result of an investigation into human trafficking.
- Oakland airport baggage handlers charged with drug smuggling Updated: May-19-15 12:23 am
OAKLAND, California - Federal authorities say three baggage handlers at Oakland International Airport are among 14 people charged as part of an alleged marijuana smuggling ring.
- US agents kill suspected smuggler off British Virgin Islands Updated: May-18-15 5:10 pm
TORTOLA, British Virgin Islands - A suspected drug smuggler was shot and killed by U.S. agents during a chase off the British Virgin Islands, officials said Monday.
- Grants woman gets prison term for heroin, meth sentence Updated: May-18-15 4:48 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - A Grants woman has been sentenced to more than four years in federal prison for heroin and methamphetamine trafficking.
- Official: Ethiopia detains 200 suspected human smugglers Updated: May-18-15 7:58 am
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - Two hundred suspected human smugglers have been detained as part of the Ethiopian government's efforts to stem the number of citizens trying to illegally migrate to Europe, a senior official said.
- Las Vegas woman pleads not guilty to human trafficking Updated: May-16-15 6:37 pm
MINOT, North Dakota - A 20-year-old woman accused of bringing a 14-year-old girl to North Dakota from Las Vegas and telling her she wouldn't eat if she didn't make money has pleaded not guilty to felony human trafficking.
- DA says health worker brought marijuana into prison complex Updated: May-16-15 12:55 pm
NEW YORK - A health worker on Rikers Island was caught bringing contraband tobacco and marijuana into the prison complex, and when he was stopped he acknowledged he'd done it before, according to a criminal complaint.