- Why many experts missed this: Cheap oil can hurt US economy Updated: May-20-15 3:49 pm
WASHINGTON - If there was one thing most economists agreed on at the start of the year, it was this: Plunging oil prices would boost the U.S. economy.
- US household debt levels held back by cautious consumers Updated: May-12-15 2:30 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. household debt levels were mostly unchanged in the first three months of this year, held back by tight mortgage credit standards and consumer reluctance to borrow heavily.
- A hazy view of US economy emerges ahead of April jobs report Updated: May-07-15 5:03 pm
WASHINGTON - When the government reports Friday on job growth during April, it could help clarify an increasingly nagging question:
- US consumer borrowing expanded $20.5 billion in March Updated: May-07-15 3:52 pm
WASHINGTON - Consumers increased their borrowing in March by the largest amount in nearly a year as borrowing on credit cards rebounded following two months of declines.
- Spring awakening: US consumer spending rose in March Updated: Apr-30-15 10:19 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumers boosted spending in March by the largest amount in four months, a hopeful sign that this key sector of the economy is reviving after a frigid winter.
- Noting slower economy, Fed appears no closer to a rate hike Updated: Apr-29-15 5:25 pm
WASHINGTON - The Federal Reserve downgraded its view of the U.S. economy Wednesday after a winter in which growth nearly froze. The Fed offered no sign that a rate increase might be coming soon.