- EU raises eurozone forecast despite bleaker Greek outlook Updated: May-05-15 1:22 pm
BRUSSELS - The European Union has nudged up its forecast for economic growth across the 19-country eurozone despite a much gloomier outlook for Greece, which is struggling to get its hands on vital bailout cash it needs to pay off debts.
- 5 years of bailouts: the grim legacy of Greece's crisis Updated: May-05-15 12:46 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The sculpture shows a shabbily-dressed man slipping off what appears to be a graph, an economic index perhaps, that is crumbling under his feet. His mouth is distended in something less than a scream, more than a cry.
- AP Interview: Emirates airline boss sees more US growth Updated: May-05-15 11:43 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The man in charge of the Middle East's biggest airline, Emirates, said Tuesday he is pressing ahead with a global expansion that could include more U.S. routes despite opposition from American carriers who accuse the airline of having an unfair advantage.
- US trade deficit jumps to 6-year high of $51.4 billion Updated: May-05-15 10:34 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. trade deficit in March swelled to the highest level in more than six years, propelled by a flood of imports that may have sapped the U.S. economy of any growth in the first quarter.
- China factory index shows fastest deterioration in a year Updated: May-03-15 11:25 pm
HONG KONG - Chinese manufacturing suffered its sharpest contraction in a year in April, raising pressure on Beijing to roll out new stimulus to keep growth in the world's No. 2 economy from slipping below the official target, a report said Monday.
- Boehner: Clinton needs to bring Democrats along on trade Updated: May-03-15 9:05 am
- Florida growers worry about Cuban imports Updated: May-02-15 12:41 pm
WINTER HAVEN, Florida - Some of Florida's agriculture experts say normalizing relations with Cuba could threaten the state's citrus and vegetable crops.
- Portman faces balancing act on trade as he seeks re-election Updated: May-02-15 11:03 am
WASHINGTON - Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio is maneuvering with care as he runs for re-election in a swing state while cautiously supporting a free-trade deal that even some fellow Republicans fear could lead to job losses back home.
- Japan prime minister touts economic synergy with US in visit Updated: May-01-15 8:05 pm
LOS ANGELES - The United States and Japan will work toward strengthened economic ties, including promoting more direct investment in each other's markets and approval of a Pacific trade agreement, officials said Friday.
- Wolf opens door to running insurance marketplace Updated: May-01-15 4:40 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Gov. Tom Wolf's administration advanced plans Friday to maintain federal health insurance subsidies for nearly 400,000 Pennsylvanians ahead of a U.S. Supreme Court decision that could wipe out the aid to insurance buyers in some states.
- Obama to talk trade in visit to Oregon, Nike Updated: Apr-30-15 5:28 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - President Barack Obama will campaign for free trade legislation during his Oregon trip next week.
- Obama under pressure to beef up Democratic support for trade Updated: Apr-30-15 5:28 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican leaders say GOP votes alone won't pass trade legislation sought by President Barack Obama and are urging the White House to put more pressure on reluctant Democrats to lend their support.
- Ohio budget director takes issue with House spending plan Updated: Apr-30-15 2:20 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's budget director took issue Thursday with changes the Republican-led House made to tax policies, school funding and other areas of Gov. John Kasich's state budget proposal.
- GOP divided as Supreme Court ruling on health care law nears Updated: Apr-30-15 11:52 am
WASHINGTON - Sen. Ron Johnson was elected to Congress in 2010 as an adamant foe of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul. Yet facing a Supreme Court decision that could disrupt how that law functions, the Wisconsin Republican is among many in the GOP who want Congress to react with caution.
- Why some trends sapping US growth may persist, others won't Updated: Apr-30-15 12:05 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy nearly stopped growing in the January-March quarter, squeezed by a combination of factors that will either fade (a harsh winter) or persist (a stronger dollar).
- Committee passes plan that increases Connecticut taxes Updated: Apr-29-15 6:42 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - The General Assembly's tax committee approved a Democratic plan on Wednesday that would increase personal income tax rates for high-earners, extend Connecticut's sales tax to more services and authorize the gambling game keno.
- Noting slower economy, Fed appears no closer to a rate hike Updated: Apr-29-15 5:25 pm
WASHINGTON - The Federal Reserve downgraded its view of the U.S. economy Wednesday after a winter in which growth nearly froze. The Fed offered no sign that a rate increase might be coming soon.
- 3 Indiana brothers plead guilty in biofuels fraud Updated: Apr-29-15 3:52 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Three Indiana brothers have pleaded guilty in a biofuels scam that bilked taxpayers and fuel buyers out of tens of millions of dollars, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.
- Iran scraps cash handouts to its wealthiest to ease burden Updated: Apr-29-15 1:13 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran has scrapped the country's wealthiest citizens off a list of people receiving monthly cash handouts in a small step toward easing the burden on the budget and freeing up more government funds, an official said Wednesday.
- State legislature fails to finish session in 77 days Updated: Apr-28-15 10:55 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - North Dakota's Legislature set a goal to adjourn Tuesday, but House and Senate negotiators failed to iron out differences in last-minute spending measures.
- White House slams GOP defense budget Updated: Apr-28-15 8:24 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House is vigorously pushing back against provisions in a proposed $604 billion Republican defense budget plan that contradict President Barack Obama's national security priorities on issues ranging from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to changes in weapons systems.
- State to extend Get Covered Illinois PR contract by 2 months Updated: Apr-28-15 12:47 pm
CHICAGO - Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner's administration is negotiating a two-month contract extension with the public relations firm that handles the state's promotion of health insurance coverage, an indication of the Republican governor's cautious co-existence with President Barack Obama's health care law.
- Trade deal poses dilemma for Clinton in Democratic primary Updated: Apr-28-15 11:05 am
WASHINGTON - On a trip to Australia in 2012, Hillary Rodham Clinton lavished praise on the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership, calling it the "gold standard" in efforts to create open and fair trade.
- Vietnam and the US test their hard-won friendship Updated: Apr-28-15 3:38 am
BANGKOK - After tanks from communist North Vietnam burst through the gates of the Presidential Palace in Saigon 40 years ago Thursday, Washington imposed a punitive economic embargo that kept Hanoi from receiving assistance even from multilateral institutions such as the World Bank.
- Russia tightens ban on European food imports Updated: Apr-27-15 7:16 am
MOSCOW - Russia is set to tighten its ban on food imports from Europe by restricting re-exports of fruit and vegetables through European countries.