- John Kerry, Ash Carter meeting with Australian counterparts Updated: Oct-13-15 12:18 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Secretary of Defense Ash Carter are meeting with their Australian counterparts in Boston to discuss security and trade issues.
- Free Trade Zone may expand to include 3 parishes Updated: Oct-13-15 7:35 am
ALEXANDRIA, Louisiana - England Authority officials are seeking to have Free Trade Zone status expanded to all of Rapides, Avoyelles and Grant parishes.
- The Latest: Deaton wasn't sure he would be picked for Nobel Updated: Oct-12-15 10:50 am
STOCKHOLM - Latest developments in the announcements of the Nobel Prizes (all times local):
- Thousands demonstrate in Germany against EU-US trade deal Updated: Oct-10-15 9:45 am
BERLIN - Tens of thousands of people marched through downtown Berlin on Saturday to protest a planned trans-Atlantic free trade pact.
- 2 Fed officials think data will justify rate hike this year Updated: Oct-09-15 4:19 pm
WASHINGTON - It's a question whose answer seems to be in constant flux: When will the Federal Reserve finally raise interest rates?
- Vilsack visiting Colorado to promote Pacific trade deal Updated: Oct-09-15 2:53 pm
DENVER - Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack began a national tour Friday in Colorado to promote the Pacific Rim trade deal, stressing that U.S. farm exports stand to benefit from the proposal.
- Fed official still favors 2015 hike but notes dimmer outlook Updated: Oct-09-15 11:19 am
NEW YORK - A voting member of the Federal Reserve's policy committee said Friday that he still thinks an interest-rate increase will be appropriate by year's end. But he acknowledged that the outlook for the economy appears cloudier than it did a few weeks ago.
- Trade official visits Delaware on heels of landmark pact Updated: Oct-09-15 2:15 am
WILMINGTON, Delaware - U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman is traveling to Delaware in his first public event since negotiating a contentious trade pact involving the United States and 11 other Pacific Rim countries.
- Trade deal, Keystone open Clinton to flip-flop charges Updated: Oct-08-15 3:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Martin O'Malley was blunt when he learned Hillary Rodham Clinton had announced her opposition to a Pacific Rim trade deal. "Wow, that's a reversal," he told reporters minutes after Clinton announced her shift.
- Global worries kept Fed from hiking rates in September Updated: Oct-08-15 2:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve officials were almost ready to raise interest rates in September but held off because of China's economic slowdown and its potential to derail U.S. growth and inflation.
- IMF Chief: We're cooked if we fail on climate change Updated: Oct-07-15 11:28 pm
LIMA, Peru - International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde said Wednesday that failure to take urgent action on global warming will condemn humanity to the same fate as the Peruvian poultry that so many delegates to the group's annual meeting are enjoying this week in a country famed for its cuisine.
- US official: Ending embargo of Cuba will take time Updated: Oct-07-15 11:10 pm
HAVANA - U.S. Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker wrapped up her visit to Cuba on Wednesday by saying both sides need to learn more about each other as they work to improve relations.
- Senators want drilling ban on outer continental shelf Updated: Oct-07-15 8:40 pm
LOS ANGELES - A group of Democratic senators on Wednesday proposed permanently banning offshore drilling on the outer continental shelf off California, Oregon and Washington.
- Kansas governor not looking at cuts, taxes to balance budget Updated: Oct-07-15 7:11 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback said Wednesday that he's not considering additional spending cuts over the next few months and he ruled out new tax increases to keep the state budget balanced in the wake of disappointing tax collections.
- IMF sees recession for Latin America on commodities shock Updated: Oct-07-15 6:21 pm
LIMA, Peru - Latin America's economy is likely to go into recession this year for the first time since the end of the global financial crisis as China's slowdown lessens demand for the region's commodities, threatening to undo recent progress in reducing poverty, the International Monetary Fund said Wednesday.
- Senate OKs massive defense bill, sends measure to Obama Updated: Oct-07-15 5:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress on Wednesday sent President Barack Obama a sweeping $612 billion defense policy bill that he has threatened to veto over an ongoing battle between Democrats and Republicans about government spending.
- As Clinton campaigns, complications with her old boss arise Updated: Oct-07-15 10:12 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama seemed to call Hillary Rodham Clinton's idea of a no-fly zone in Syria "half-baked."
- Vietnam seems big winner in US-anchored Pacific trade deal Updated: Oct-07-15 7:56 am
HONG KONG - An ambitious Pacific Rim trade deal anchored by the U.S. promises to boost the economies of its 12 participating countries by opening their markets to one another, but not all the gains will be spread evenly.
- Obama begins selling trade agreement to Congress, public Updated: Oct-06-15 2:58 pm
WASHINGTON - Negotiations over the complex trade deal took more than five years. On Tuesday, President Barack Obama began what may be a similarly difficult task - selling the Trans-Pacific Partnership to Congress and the American public.
- US trade deficit widens to $48.3 billion in August Updated: Oct-06-15 10:22 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. trade deficit jumped sharply in August as exports fell to the lowest level in nearly three years while imports increased, led by a surge in shipments of cellphones from China.
- Company announces plans for major LNG facility in Cameron Updated: Oct-05-15 4:09 pm
CAMERON, Louisiana - A Louisiana-based company says it plans to build a massive facility along the Calcasieu River ship channel to export liquefied natural gas.
- Bernanke defending Fed actions to battle recession Updated: Oct-05-15 2:37 pm
WASHINGTON - Former Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke says the U.S. economy is outperforming Europe at the moment because the Fed moved more quickly and aggressively to fight the 2008 financial crisis than Europe did.
- Iowa insurer Wellmark to sell policies on health exchange Updated: Oct-05-15 1:55 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa's dominant health insurer has agreed to start selling policies for 2017 that will qualify for subsidies under the Affordable Care Act, the company announced Monday.
- Obama welcomes agreement on Trans Pacific trade deal Updated: Oct-05-15 9:40 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is heralding an agreement on an ambitious Pacific Rim trade pact that he says "reflects America's values" and gives U.S. workers a fair shot at success.
- Bernanke: Wall St execs should have gone to jail for crisis Updated: Oct-05-15 8:15 am
WASHINGTON - Former Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke says some Wall Street executives should have gone to jail for their roles in the financial crisis that gripped the country in 2008 and triggered the Great Recession.