- US stocks drop; mixed jobs report clouds rate outlook Updated: Sep-04-15 5:46 pm
NEW YORK - It's an adage that investors hate uncertainty. Unfortunately for them, they got more of it on Friday.
- US jobless rate falls to 7-year low; Fed move still unclear Updated: Sep-04-15 5:34 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. unemployment fell to a seven-year low of 5.1 percent last month, but hiring slowed - a mixed bag of news that offers few clues to whether the Federal Reserve will raise rock-bottom interest rates later this month.
- Initial unemployment claims in Louisiana rise Updated: Sep-04-15 11:52 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending Aug. 29 increased from the previous week's total.
- Governor taps bank executive to lead job creation agency Updated: Sep-03-15 5:06 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker has appointed a bank executive who has contributed thousands of dollars to his campaign to a six-figure job leading the state's troubled economic development agency.
- State economist says ConocoPhillips layoffs have broad reach Updated: Sep-03-15 7:42 am
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - In wake of the announcement by energy company ConocoPhillips that it may cut about 120 jobs in Alaska, a state economist said the damage could have been worse.
- Haslam administration touts 'low-cost labor' in Tennessee Updated: Sep-02-15 7:32 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - While Republican Gov. Bill Haslam often states his goal of bringing "high-quality jobs" to Tennessee, a document produced by his administration suggests he may be less interested in making them high-paying positions.
- Survey: US businesses hired at steady pace in August Updated: Sep-02-15 9:28 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. businesses added jobs at a steady pace last month, with construction and manufacturing showing solid gains, a private survey found.
- US productivity up 3.3 percent in spring, labor costs fall Updated: Sep-02-15 9:21 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. productivity in the spring rose at the fastest pace since late 2013, while labor costs declined.
- ConocoPhillips plans to cut 10 percent of its workforce Updated: Sep-01-15 5:53 pm
NEW YORK - Energy company ConocoPhillips, which has already cut 1,000 jobs this year, says it will eliminate around 1,810 more positions following a plunge that took oil prices to their lowest levels in years.
- Approaching health law tax is not just a levy on luxury Updated: Sep-01-15 4:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The last major piece of President Barack Obama's health care law could raise costs for thrifty consumers as well as large corporations and union members when it takes effect in 2018.
- Labor report: Worker shortage begins as baby boomers retire Updated: Aug-31-15 8:16 pm
HELENA, Montana - Montana's low unemployment rate is driving up wages but a serious worker shortage is appearing on the horizon as baby boomers begin to retire, state officials said Monday.
- Correction: The Month Ahead story Updated: Aug-31-15 12:35 pm
In a story Aug. 28, about upcoming events, The Associated Press reported erroneously the dates of business events expected in the first week in September.
- Fed Vice Chair Fischer keeps open possibility of Sept. hike Updated: Aug-29-15 4:33 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer left the door open Saturday for a Fed rate increase in September, saying the factors that have kept inflation below the central bank's target level have likely begun to fade.
- AP National News Calendar Updated: Aug-28-15 4:47 pm
Eds: Major scheduled events for the week of August 30 - September 5. Note that many events are subject to change at the last minute.
- Brenham in line for a federal grant to foster new jobs Updated: Aug-28-15 4:02 pm
BRENHAM, Texas - Brenham is in line for a federal grant of more than $960,000 to help strengthen workforce training and stimulate job creation in the home of Blue Bell ice cream.
- The Latest: Survivor expresses condolences for TV workers Updated: Aug-28-15 1:36 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The latest on the on-air killing of two TV station employees in Virginia (all times local):
- US consumer spending up moderate 0.3 percent in July Updated: Aug-28-15 9:19 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumers increased their spending moderately in July, as wages and salaries made their biggest jump in eight months.
- Jobless rates rise in 13 of 17 major Michigan labor markets Updated: Aug-28-15 2:20 am
LANSING, Michigan - Seasonally unadjusted unemployment rates have gone up slightly in 13 of Michigan's 17 major labor market areas.
- Japan reports inflation, household spending soften in July Updated: Aug-28-15 2:16 am
TOKYO - The backdrop to the wild drama in financial markets over the past few weeks is a less dramatic but more daunting reality: the deep-seated challenges for sustaining long-term growth, especially for aging economies like Japan's.
- Freeport-McMoRan cuts more spending; Icahn discloses stake Updated: Aug-27-15 5:43 pm
PHOENIX - Activist investor Carl Icahn said late Thursday that he has taken an 8.5-percent stake in Freeport-McMoRan, just hours after the mining company announced cost cuts and lower spending in response to declining copper prices and soft economic conditions worldwide.
- Jobless rates fall in all Illinois metro areas in July Updated: Aug-27-15 1:29 pm
CHICAGO - Unemployment rates in Illinois' metro areas continued their long decline in July.
- Job search mandate, unemployment tax change goes to governor Updated: Aug-27-15 1:13 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Changes to unemployment insurance laws that require more job search activities by benefit recipients are now headed to North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory.
- Metro Atlanta's jobless rate rises slightly to 6.1 percent Updated: Aug-27-15 5:52 am
ATLANTA - State labor officials say metro Atlanta's unemployment rate has risen slightly, up to 6.1 percent.
- Pence headed to Japan next month seeking jobs for Indiana Updated: Aug-27-15 4:04 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Gov. Mike Pence will lead a delegation of Indiana business leaders to Japan next month on an economic development mission.
- Jobless rates steady or falling in Nevada metro regions Updated: Aug-26-15 1:28 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Unemployment rates are holding steady or dropping in Nevada's main metropolitan areas.