- US jobless aid applications rose last week; total still low Updated: May-28-15 9:07 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans sought unemployment benefits last week, though the overall level remains low and points to a healthy job market.
- After 8 years, RI unemployment rate drops out of 10 worst Updated: May-27-15 3:32 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island has dropped out of the top 10 states with the worst unemployment rate for the first time in nearly eight years.
- Drilling cutbacks drag down job growth in oil patch Updated: May-27-15 1:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Hammered by cheaper oil, drilling firms have laid off workers and dragged job growth lower in states from Texas to North Dakota.
- North Carolina unemployment rate up to 5.5 percent in April Updated: May-27-15 12:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A continuing stream of sidelined workers who have resumed looking for jobs caused North Carolina's unemployment rate to tick up to 5.5 percent in April.
- Mississippi jobless rate dips in April Updated: May-27-15 10:55 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi's jobless rate dipped in April to 6.6 percent.
- South Carolina unemployment unchanged in April Updated: May-27-15 10:49 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - There was no change in South Carolina's unemployment rate last month, according to data released Wednesday by state officials.
- Nebraska's April jobless rate of 2.5 pct still lowest in US Updated: May-27-15 10:44 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska's unemployment rate dropped a tenth of a point to 2.5 percent in April, remaining the lowest rate in the nation, according to reports issued Wednesday.
- Connecticut adds 1,200 jobs in April as jobless rate falls Updated: May-26-15 3:01 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Employers in Connecticut added 1,200 jobs in April, the 10th monthly job gain in the past year, the Department of Labor said Tuesday.
- US new-home sales jump in April Updated: May-26-15 10:48 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans bought new homes in April - evidence that the stronger job market is powering the housing sector.
- Consumer confidence edges up in May on improving job market Updated: May-26-15 10:44 am
WASHINGTON - Consumer confidence rebounded slightly this month as the job market showed signs of improvement.
- New Census numbers show Casper population exceeding 60,000 Updated: May-24-15 1:46 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Casper has exceeded 60,000 in population for the first time in its history thanks largely to active oil drilling in the area, and a state economist says he believes the recent downturn in oil prices won't cause the large population losses that the city and state experienced in past boom-to-bust cycles.
- Women-owned businesses surge in Wyoming Updated: May-24-15 12:56 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Jane Eickbush opened Bouquets Unlimited here in 1982 and has been the boss ever since.
- What will get Europe's economy rolling again? Updated: May-23-15 2:46 pm
SINTRA, Portugal - What's behind Europe's sluggish recovery and high jobless rate? What can central banks and governments do to get things going?
- Alabama unemployment rate increases slightly in April Updated: May-22-15 6:49 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's jobless rate ticked up slightly to 5.8 percent in April after months of steady decline.
- Pennsylvania shows biggest 1-month jobs gain since 1990s Updated: May-22-15 4:31 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania recorded its biggest one-month jobs gain in nearly two decades in April, while its unemployment rate stabilized after rising for three straight months, the state Department of Labor and Industry said Friday.
- Alaska unemployment rate reaches 6.7 percent in April Updated: May-22-15 1:34 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Alaska's unemployment rate reached 6.7 percent in April, up from March but lower than the same time last year.
- Idaho unemployment remains at 7-year low at 3.8 percent Updated: May-22-15 1:04 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho's unemployment rate remained at a seven-year low of 3.8 percent in April.
- Tennessee unemployment drops to lowest rate in 7 years Updated: May-22-15 4:02 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee's unemployment rate has dropped to 6 percent, down from 6.3 percent in March and the lowest rate in seven years.
- Arizona's unemployment rate drops to 6 percent Updated: May-21-15 3:46 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for April was 6 percent, down two-tenths of a percentage point from March.
- Rhode Island unemployment rate drops to 6.1 percent Updated: May-21-15 3:40 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The unemployment rate in Rhode Island in April dropped to 6.1 percent, the lowest rate in more than seven years.
- Mideast youth unemployment rises amid post-Arab Spring chaos Updated: May-21-15 3:40 pm
KITTEH, Jordan - Fawziyeh Sharif and dozens of other young women who make jeans for the U.S. market in a factory in this village in northern Jordan consider themselves lucky - even though they spend 48 hours a week bent over sewing machines for minimum wage.
- Walker misses jobs promise by about 121,000 jobs Updated: May-21-15 3:35 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker made it only about halfway toward fulfilling his signature 2010 campaign promise - repeated in the 2012 recall - that 250,000 private sector jobs would be created over four years under his leadership.
- Illinois unemployment holds steady in April at 6 percent Updated: May-21-15 2:32 pm
CHICAGO - Illinois' unemployment rate remained at 6 percent in April, as the state's slow economic recovery continued to trail those of neighboring states and more than half the country.
- Irish unemployment rate falls to 6-year low of 9.8 percent Updated: May-21-15 6:56 am
DUBLIN - Ireland's unemployment rate has fallen to 9.8 percent, the first time in six years that joblessness levels can be measured in single digits.
- Georgia's jobless rate remains unchanged at 6.3 percent Updated: May-21-15 6:54 am
ATLANTA - State labor officials say Georgia's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate is at 6.3 percent, which is unchanged from the previous month.