- US stocks fall as tech and health care are routed Updated: Apr-29-16 12:17 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks are skidding Friday while markets in Europe and Asia take hefty losses. Technology companies continued to tumble after a late plunge a day earlier. Health care companies are falling after some weak first-quarter reports.
- Markets Right Now: Stocks move lower on Wall Street Updated: Apr-29-16 11:53 am
NEW YORK - The Latest on global financial markets (all times local):
- US consumer sentiment slips in April Updated: Apr-29-16 10:42 am
WASHINGTON - American consumers were a bit more downbeat in April.
- US consumer spending inches up in March Updated: Apr-29-16 10:34 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumers boosted their spending by a tiny amount in March as purchases of nondurable goods such as clothing offset a big fall in spending on autos and other long-lasting items.
- Eurozone economy regains size of 2008 but remains shaky Updated: Apr-29-16 10:19 am
LONDON - It's been a long and tortuous journey, but the eurozone economy is finally back to the size it was before the global financial crisis.
- Spain predicts 2.5 percent annual growth for next 4 years Updated: Apr-29-16 8:20 am
MADRID - The Spanish economy will grow at an average annual rate of 2.5 percent over the next four years- one of the strongest in the European Union - and will create some 2 million jobs, the country's caretaker government predicted Friday.
- Shares of Amazon jump on 1Q earnings beat Updated: Apr-28-16 4:49 pm
SEATTLE - Shares of Amazon.com Inc. surged Thursday after the e-commerce powerhouse reported better-than-expected first-quarter results fueled by a 28 percent jump in revenue.
- HanesBrands soars on deal to buy Australian underwear seller Updated: Apr-28-16 2:55 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of HanesBrands soared Thursday, a day after the company said it is buying Australian underwear seller Pacific Brands Ltd. for about $800 million.
- Symantec cuts 4Q outlook, CEO leaving Updated: Apr-28-16 2:27 pm
WASHINGTON - Shares of software security firm Symantec fell about 6 percent after the company cut its fourth quarter revenue outlook due to lower sales of traditional security products and an increase in subscription-based security products which result in deferred revenue.
- Japan central bank holds fire on fresh monetary stimulus Updated: Apr-28-16 3:59 am
TOKYO - Japan's central bank stunned financial markets Thursday with a decision not to splash out still more monetary stimulus for the ailing economy - apart from zero-interest loans for an earthquake zone.
- H&R Block shares tumble on lousy tax season Updated: Apr-27-16 2:48 pm
NEW YORK - It was not a very good tax season for H&R Block.
- Boston Scientific swings to 1Q profit, results beat Street Updated: Apr-27-16 1:41 pm
MARLBOROUGH, Massachusetts - Boston Scientific swung to a profit in its first quarter, buoyed by some lower charges. Shares of the company rallied as it boosted its full-year guidance.
- German consumer confidence amid strong domestic demand Updated: Apr-27-16 4:23 am
BERLIN - A closely watched survey shows German consumer confidence is on the rise, indicating there is an expectation Europe's largest economy will regain momentum in the coming months as increased employment, income growth and moderate inflation help domestic demand.
- EBay shares rise as results beat Street 1Q forecasts Updated: Apr-26-16 4:54 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Shares of eBay Inc. rose on Tuesday after the e-commerce company reported better-than-expected quarterly results.
- Jobless benefit cuts weighed by Missouri high court - again Updated: Apr-26-16 2:02 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - The Missouri Supreme Court is wrestling with whether to invalidate a law cutting jobless benefits because of the way it was enacted.
- US durable goods orders rebounds, but investment still weak Updated: Apr-26-16 9:02 am
WASHINGTON - Orders to U.S. factories for long-lasting manufactured goods rose in March, but a key category that tracks business investment plans was weak for a second month.
- South Korea's economy grows 2.7 percent, slowest since July Updated: Apr-25-16 10:32 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's economy expanded at its slowest pace in three quarters during the first three months of this year, as exports and domestic demand sagged due to subdued global demand and heavy household debts.
- Consumer confidence falls as Alaska economy struggles Updated: Apr-24-16 3:03 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Consumer confidence has fallen to a five-year low as Alaksa continues to struggle with a weak oil sector, budget cuts and a contentious legislative session.
- City of Oxford provides space for farmers to sell produce Updated: Apr-24-16 10:01 am
OXFORD, Georgia - Some small farm farmers are offering two different ways for Newton County residents to support local agriculture: either by purchasing shares in a farm's seasonal offerings or by subscribing to receive an email which lists the week's offerings and prices.
- Initial unemployment claims in Louisiana fall Updated: Apr-22-16 11:43 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending April 16 decreased from the previous week's total.
- Daimler emissions investigation overshadows earnings Updated: Apr-22-16 8:17 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - German car, truck and bus maker Daimler AG rebuffed questions about an internal investigation into its emissions certifications as news of the probe sent shares lower Friday.
- Jobless rates change little in major Michigan labor markets Updated: Apr-22-16 1:52 am
LANSING, Michigan - The state says seasonally unadjusted unemployment rates have changed little in Michigan's 17 major labor market areas.
- United shares drop after airline reports lower 1Q profit Updated: Apr-21-16 3:40 pm
DALLAS - Shares of United Airlines' parent dropped sharply on Thursday after the company reported lower first-quarter profit and gave a disappointing outlook for the second quarter.
- Biogen beats 1Q profit forecasts Updated: Apr-21-16 12:40 pm
CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts -
- Fifth Third profit falls 10 percent, but beats expectations Updated: Apr-21-16 10:46 am
CINCINNATI - Fifth Third Bancorp said Thursday that its first-quarter profit fell nearly 10 percent from a year ago as its costs rose and it set aside more money to protect itself from bad loans or leases.