- US stocks end lower as energy stocks slump on earnings Updated: Jul-31-15 4:58 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks closed modestly lower Friday as oil titans Exxon Mobil and Chevron led a slump in energy stocks.
- Business events scheduled for the coming month Updated: Jul-31-15 1:43 pm
All times are Eastern
- Falling oil prices shrinks Chevron's profit by 90 percent Updated: Jul-31-15 12:14 pm
SAN RAMON, California - Hurt by falling oil prices, Chevron said Friday that its second-quarter net income plunged 90 percent from the same period a year ago.
- University of Michigan: Consumer sentiment dips in July Updated: Jul-31-15 10:53 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer sentiment slipped this month but remains at healthy levels, the University of Michigan said Friday.
- US paychecks grow at record-slow pace in 2nd quarter Updated: Jul-31-15 9:21 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. wages and benefits grew in the spring at the slowest pace in 33 years, stark evidence that stronger hiring isn't lifting paychecks much for most Americans. The slowdown also likely reflects a sharp drop-off in bonus and incentive pay for some workers.
- LinkedIn 2Q caps rough week for social media stocks Updated: Jul-30-15 6:48 pm
NEW YORK - It hasn't been a good week for social media companies, not even for the usually reliable professional networking service LinkedIn Corp.
- Spring rebound for US economy sets stage for Fed rate hike Updated: Jul-30-15 4:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy isn't moving at warp speed, but it looks like it will be strong enough to handle an expected interest rate increase later this year.
- Mondelez tops Street 2Q forecasts Updated: Jul-30-15 3:43 pm
DEERFIELD, Illinois - Shares of Mondelez International Inc. jumped Thursday after the snack maker reported better-than-expected earnings for the second quarter due to reduced expenses.
- Virgin America's 2Q profit beats Wall Street forecasts Updated: Jul-30-15 3:40 pm
Virgin America's second-quarter profit beat Wall Street expectations on cheaper fuel, and the airline plans to grow at a double-digit rate next year after it starts flying to Hawaii.
- US economy likely rebounded to solid growth rate in spring Updated: Jul-30-15 3:04 am
WASHINGTON - After a terrible winter, the economy is improving, with a solid rebound in the spring expected to be followed by stronger growth in the second half of the year.
- Takeaway from Fed meeting: Expect a rate increase this year Updated: Jul-30-15 12:04 am
WASHINGTON - Expectations have grown that sometime this year, the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates from record lows. The only question seems to be when.
- Better economy has smokers buying more Marlboros Updated: Jul-29-15 12:31 pm
NEW YORK - A better economy is helping sell more Marlboros and Camels, even as prices climb. That brought higher profits for their makers in the second quarter.
- Survey: German consumers remain optimistic Updated: Jul-29-15 4:14 am
BERLIN - A closely-watched survey indicates German consumers remain optimistic but are showing signs of worry about the country's economic situation amid uncertainty about Greece's financial future.
- Panera shares jump on report of Q3 sales uptick Updated: Jul-28-15 6:58 pm
ST. LOUIS - Panera Bread Co. shares jumped in extended trading Tuesday after the restaurant chain reported an uptick in sales in recent days.
- SuperValu may spin off Save-A-Lot into separate company Updated: Jul-28-15 3:43 pm
NEW YORK - SuperValu said Tuesday that it may spin off its discount grocer Save-A-Lot into a separate publicly traded company as competition in the industry intensifies.
- US consumer confidence falls to lowest level since September Updated: Jul-28-15 1:19 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer confidence fell this month to the lowest level since September. Consumers are worried about the job market and rattled by events in Greece and China.
- Q&A: What stock market tumble means for China, rest of world Updated: Jul-28-15 7:08 am
BEIJING - China's stock market tumbled this week despite a massive government intervention aimed at halting a slide in prices that began last month. At its peak in early June, the Shanghai Composite Index had risen about 150 percent from late 2014. After dropping 30 percent over several weeks, government support measures calmed the market. But on Monday the sell-off resumed, with the Shanghai index suffering a drop of 8.5 percent, its biggest daily fall since February 2007. Here's what the sell-off means for China's economy and other countries.
- Timeline of Chinese government measures to halt stock slide Updated: Jul-28-15 6:07 am
BEIJING - A timeline of government measures aiming at curbing a slide in share prices after China's main market index peaked June 12 and fell sharply in the following weeks:
- Republic stock plunges on possible flight disruptions Updated: Jul-27-15 5:22 pm
DALLAS - Republic Airways warned that its operation of regional flights for the nation's biggest airlines could be disrupted by a pilot shortage and labor standoff.
- Orders for US durable goods jump 3.4 percent in June Updated: Jul-27-15 11:52 am
WASHINGTON - Orders to U.S. factories for big-ticket manufactured goods posted a sizable gain in June, but the advance was fueled by higher demand for commercial aircraft. Outside of this volatile category, a key category that represents business investment rose by a far more modest amount.
- Bend's housing market too expensive for young people Updated: Jul-26-15 4:19 pm
BEND, Oregon - Melissa Glidewell describes life in Bend as "poverty with a view."
- Scary headlines don't deter investors Updated: Jul-25-15 5:26 pm
NEW YORK - The U.S. economy is growing at a painfully slow pace. Greece still threatens the euro. Chinese stocks have just pulled out of a frightening free-fall. Big companies in the U.S. are struggling to boost profits.
- Amazon's value surpasses Wal-Mart after surprise 2Q profit Updated: Jul-24-15 4:43 pm
NEW YORK - It's official: Amazon is bigger than Wal-Mart.
- Amazon's birthday present: Surprise 2Q profit Updated: Jul-23-15 7:19 pm
NEW YORK - Investors helped Amazon celebrate its 20th birthday, pushing the online retailer's stock up 17 percent in aftermarket trading Thursday after it reported a surprise second-quarter profit.
- Nebraska prison inmates collected $156K in unemployment Updated: Jul-23-15 7:17 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska prison inmates collected more than $156,000 in unemployment benefits because the state Department of Labor was never told who was incarcerated, officials announced Thursday.