- Stocks lose more ground as jobs report disappoints Updated: Feb-05-16 7:19 pm
NEW YORK - Stocks posted steep losses Friday, ending the week with broad declines, as investors fretted over a report showing that U.S. job creation slowed last month.
- Initial unemployment claims in Louisiana rise Updated: Feb-05-16 6:32 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending Jan. 30 increased from the previous week's total.
- LinkedIn shares plunge almost 44 percent Updated: Feb-05-16 6:14 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Investors gave LinkedIn a poor job review Friday in the form of a dramatic sell-off that wiped out nearly $11 billion in the professional networking site's market value.
- Many see cause for optimism despite slower US job growth Updated: Feb-05-16 5:12 pm
WASHINGTON - Consider looking past January's so-so job growth.
- Lions Gate shares plunge on earns miss as merger hopes fade Updated: Feb-05-16 3:06 pm
LOS ANGELES - Shares of Hollywood studio Lions Gate plunged Friday after it missed earnings expectations due to the underperformance of the finale of "The Hunger Games" and investors fled as hopes diminished for the company to become an acquisition vehicle.
- Friday's jobs report could ease US recession fears. Or not. Updated: Feb-05-16 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. manufacturing is shrinking, corporate profits are declining and goods are piling up on warehouse shelves. Those trends have elevated concern that a U.S. recession may loom in the next year or two.
- Symantec beats Street 3Q forecasts, gets $500M investment Updated: Feb-04-16 6:22 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Shares of Symantec Corp. rose in extended trading Thursday after the security software developer announced a $500 million investment from Silver Lake and reported better-than-expected quarterly results.
- Ralph Lauren shares down on dim earnings, outlook Updated: Feb-04-16 4:38 pm
NEW YORK - Shares in Ralph Lauren fell more than 22 percent to a multiyear low Thursday after the company cut its outlook for 2016 and reported disappointing earnings it blamed on unseasonably warm holiday weather and a drop in foreign tourist traffic in North America.
- Q&A: Investors using index funds to try to beat the market Updated: Feb-04-16 3:33 pm
NEW YORK - Don't try to beat the market.
- Coty reports drop in profit, but beats expectations Updated: Feb-04-16 3:16 pm
NEW YORK - Coty reported a drop in profit during its fiscal second quarter as costs related to acquisitions piled up. But the makeup and fragrance company's adjusted earnings and revenue beat Wall Street expectations and its shares soared Thursday.
- Applications for US jobless aid rise, but levels still low Updated: Feb-04-16 8:40 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans sought unemployment benefits last week, but applications stayed near historically low levels in a positive sign for the job market.
- Audit: State agency paid $97,000 to fictitious companies Updated: Feb-03-16 5:49 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A state audit has revealed that Iowa Workforce Development paid more than $97,000 in unemployment benefits to people in the state who claimed to work for companies that didn't exist in 2013 and 2014.
- Beigene, Editas Medicine shares rise in market debuts Updated: Feb-03-16 1:36 pm
WASHINGTON - Shares of medical sector companies Beigene Ltd. of China and Editas Medicine Inc. of Massachusetts climbed Wednesday in their market debuts.
- $4.2B in industrial investment recruited in SC in 2015 Updated: Feb-03-16 12:35 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - More than $4.2 billion in business investment was recruited in South Carolina during 2015 - investment expected to create more than 17,000 jobs.
- Survey: US employers added a solid 205K jobs in January Updated: Feb-03-16 9:18 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. businesses added a solid 205,000 jobs last month, lifted by robust gains in services and construction and extending a streak of steady hiring, according to a private survey.
- Text of Alabama governor's State of the State speech Updated: Feb-02-16 7:31 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The following is the text of Alabama Governor Robert Bentley's 2016 State of the State speech prepared for delivery Tuesday night:
- Oil industry cutting jobs, investment to offset lower prices Updated: Feb-02-16 4:59 pm
Oil companies are cutting investment, slashing jobs and selling off pipelines and other assets as crude prices plunge.
- Dow Chemical's 4Q profit surges on sales gain, lower costs Updated: Feb-02-16 3:47 pm
NEW YORK - Dow Chemical on Tuesday reported a surge in its fourth-quarter profit on gains from the sale of its chlorine operations and lower costs from sinking oil prices. Its shares rose more than 5 percent in afternoon trading.
- Dayton ends his push for special legislative session Updated: Feb-02-16 12:58 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Gov. Mark Dayton abruptly dropped his months-long push for a special session Tuesday, conceding that time had basically run out to extend unemployment benefits for out-of-work miners on the Iron Range.
- Sirius XM matches Street 4Q forecasts Updated: Feb-02-16 12:30 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of Sirius XM Holdings Inc. fell Tuesday, after the satellite radio provider reported a drop in fourth-quarter net income and issued a lackluster guidance for the current year.
- UBS bank shares plunge as rich investors withdraw money Updated: Feb-02-16 9:54 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Swiss bank UBS saw its shares slide on Tuesday on news that investors had pulled billions out of its division serving wealthy clients - a token of the market turbulence that has shaken the world in the past few months.
- Irish unemployment falls to 7-year low of 8.6 percent Updated: Feb-02-16 7:22 am
DUBLIN - Ireland's unemployment rate has fallen to a seven-year low of 8.6 percent as the country - buoyant again after years of gloom and austerity - faces an election.
- Abbott to buy medical test provider Alere Updated: Feb-01-16 2:14 pm
NEW YORK - Abbott Laboratories will buy Alere for $4.8 billion as it tries to expand its medical-testing business.
- US manufacturing weakens in line with China factory slowdown Updated: Feb-01-16 11:42 am
WASHINGTON - Factory activity in the world's two biggest economies - the United States and China - slowed in January, a discouraging trend for the global economy.
- US consumer spending flat, savings rate at 3-year high Updated: Feb-01-16 9:21 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumers kept their spending flat in December and instead boosted their savings rate to the highest level in three years.