- Fed Vice Chair Fischer keeps open possibility of Sept. hike Updated: Aug-29-15 4:33 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer left the door open Saturday for a Fed rate increase in September, saying the factors that have kept inflation below the central bank's target level have likely begun to fade.
- Calm on Wall Street: A turbulent week ends on a placid note Updated: Aug-28-15 7:04 pm
Well, that was exciting.
- AP National News Calendar Updated: Aug-28-15 4:47 pm
Eds: Major scheduled events for the week of August 30 - September 5. Note that many events are subject to change at the last minute.
- Survey: Plunging stock prices hit US consumer sentiment Updated: Aug-28-15 11:41 am
WASHINGTON - Plummeting stock prices have taken a toll on U.S. consumer confidence, though there are signs the setback may be temporary.
- Regis shares fall on weak 4th quarter earnings report Updated: Aug-28-15 11:25 am
EDINA, Minnesota - Shares of Regis Corp. dropped 10 percent in morning trading on Friday after the hair salon owner reported a continued decline in quarterly revenue.
- Weekly unemployment insurance claims decrease Updated: Aug-28-15 11:01 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - First-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending Aug. 22 decreased from the previous week's total.
- Q&A about this week's market turmoil in China and beyond Updated: Aug-28-15 9:04 am
BEIJING - With the Chinese stock market turmoil that incited global panic abated - at least for now - here are some questions and answers about it, as well as lessons to learn:
- Jobless rates rise in 13 of 17 major Michigan labor markets Updated: Aug-28-15 2:20 am
LANSING, Michigan - Seasonally unadjusted unemployment rates have gone up slightly in 13 of Michigan's 17 major labor market areas.
- Patterson Cos. reports 1Q profit of $29.7 million Updated: Aug-27-15 8:50 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Patterson Cos. on Thursday reported fiscal first-quarter profit of $29.7 million.
- Movado rebounds as 2Q results top analyst estimates Updated: Aug-27-15 6:31 pm
PARAMUS, New Jersey - Shares of Movado Group surged 21 percent Thursday after the luxury watchmaker's second-quarter results surpassed Wall Street expectations.
- You can't control much, but you can control investment fees Updated: Aug-27-15 2:13 pm
NEW YORK - Do the stock market's big swings have you feeling helpless?
- Jobless rates fall in all Illinois metro areas in July Updated: Aug-27-15 1:29 pm
CHICAGO - Unemployment rates in Illinois' metro areas continued their long decline in July.
- Job search mandate, unemployment tax change goes to governor Updated: Aug-27-15 1:13 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - Changes to unemployment insurance laws that require more job search activities by benefit recipients are now headed to North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory.
- Burlington shares jump as it raises full-year outlook Updated: Aug-27-15 12:40 pm
BURLINGTON, New Jersey - Higher sales at Burlington helped the discount retailer post strong fiscal second-quarter results Thursday. It also boosted its full-year earnings expectations, and shares jumped nearly 15 percent in afternoon trading.
- Metro Atlanta's jobless rate rises slightly to 6.1 percent Updated: Aug-27-15 5:52 am
ATLANTA - State labor officials say metro Atlanta's unemployment rate has risen slightly, up to 6.1 percent.
- Jobless rates steady or falling in Nevada metro regions Updated: Aug-26-15 1:28 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Unemployment rates are holding steady or dropping in Nevada's main metropolitan areas.
- Express tops Street 2Q forecasts, hikes 2015 outlook Updated: Aug-26-15 11:37 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Shares of Express soared Wednesday after the clothing and accessories chain hiked its 2015 forecast while also reporting net income that nearly tripled in its fiscal second quarter.
- Federal court backs patent protecting Eli Lilly cancer drug Updated: Aug-26-15 10:13 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Shares of Eli Lilly rose Wednesday after the drugmaker said a federal court upheld a patent protecting one of its top-selling drugs, the cancer treatment Alimta.
- Despite stock fall, financial health of many is still solid Updated: Aug-26-15 10:10 am
WASHINGTON - Many Americans have just absorbed a financial beating - at least as measured by their stock holdings. It's the kind of blow that can feed a sense of helplessness about retirement, college savings and higher-than-expected bills.
- The Latest: Dow fell more than 600 points from day's peak Updated: Aug-25-15 5:13 pm
NEW YORK - The latest on the global financial market turmoil (all times local):
- China struggles to keep economy on track to 'new normal' Updated: Aug-25-15 4:38 pm
BEIJING - China's slump is shaking the world economy, turning a country long seen as a growth engine into a possible threat.
- US consumer confidence shows sharp rebound in August Updated: Aug-25-15 10:48 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer confidence rebounded in August to the strongest reading in seven months after having fallen sharply in July.
- As stock prices sink, ordinary Americans keep their heads up Updated: Aug-25-15 6:55 am
WASHINGTON - Even as anxious investors send stock prices plunging, many Americans are sounding a rather different note:
- How China's tremors could weaken the world's major economies Updated: Aug-24-15 6:40 pm
WASHINGTON - China is exporting something new to the world economy: Fear.
- Stay the course: Fund managers hold steady as markets tumble Updated: Aug-24-15 5:44 pm
NEW YORK - When the stock market plunges, it's natural to want to do something, anything.