- After 8 years, RI unemployment rate drops out of 10 worst Updated: May-27-15 3:32 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island has dropped out of the top 10 states with the worst unemployment rate for the first time in nearly eight years.
- US stocks move higher in the afternoon, a day after a slump Updated: May-27-15 2:52 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks rose modestly in midday trading Wednesday, recovering part of a steep loss from the day before. Investors remain focused on Greece's debt problems.
- Drilling cutbacks drag down job growth in oil patch Updated: May-27-15 1:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Hammered by cheaper oil, drilling firms have laid off workers and dragged job growth lower in states from Texas to North Dakota.
- Greece says deal with creditors is close; markets rally Updated: May-27-15 12:52 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Greece's prime minister said Wednesday that his country is close to reaching a deal with bailout creditors, prompting European stock markets to jump on hopes of a breakthrough in the slow-moving, often acrimonious talks.
- North Carolina unemployment rate up to 5.5 percent in April Updated: May-27-15 12:35 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - A continuing stream of sidelined workers who have resumed looking for jobs caused North Carolina's unemployment rate to tick up to 5.5 percent in April.
- US stocks move higher in midday trade, day after a slump Updated: May-27-15 12:12 pm
NEW YORK - The U.S. stock market is moving higher in midday trading, making back some of the ground it lost the day before.
- Mississippi jobless rate dips in April Updated: May-27-15 10:55 am
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi's jobless rate dipped in April to 6.6 percent.
- South Carolina unemployment unchanged in April Updated: May-27-15 10:49 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - There was no change in South Carolina's unemployment rate last month, according to data released Wednesday by state officials.
- Nebraska's April jobless rate of 2.5 pct still lowest in US Updated: May-27-15 10:44 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska's unemployment rate dropped a tenth of a point to 2.5 percent in April, remaining the lowest rate in the nation, according to reports issued Wednesday.
- US stocks open higher following slump the day before Updated: May-27-15 9:43 am
NEW YORK - The stock market is opening higher following its worst day in three weeks.
- German consumers remain optimistic for June Updated: May-27-15 6:19 am
BERLIN - A closely-watched survey shows German consumers remain optimistic as their economic expectations and willingness to make purchases have been bolstered by robust domestic demand and low inflation rates.
- Connecticut adds 1,200 jobs in April as jobless rate falls Updated: May-26-15 3:01 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Employers in Connecticut added 1,200 jobs in April, the 10th monthly job gain in the past year, the Department of Labor said Tuesday.
- US new-home sales jump in April Updated: May-26-15 10:48 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans bought new homes in April - evidence that the stronger job market is powering the housing sector.
- Consumer confidence edges up in May on improving job market Updated: May-26-15 10:44 am
WASHINGTON - Consumer confidence rebounded slightly this month as the job market showed signs of improvement.
- Ryanair beats forecasts again as annual profits rise 66 pct Updated: May-26-15 10:38 am
DUBLIN - Europe's leading budget airline Ryanair has beaten forecasts again, reporting full-year net profits of 867 million euros ($949 million), 66 percent higher than the year before.
- Women-owned businesses surge in Wyoming Updated: May-24-15 12:56 pm
CHEYENNE, Wyoming - Jane Eickbush opened Bouquets Unlimited here in 1982 and has been the boss ever since.
- What will get Europe's economy rolling again? Updated: May-23-15 2:46 pm
SINTRA, Portugal - What's behind Europe's sluggish recovery and high jobless rate? What can central banks and governments do to get things going?
- Alabama unemployment rate increases slightly in April Updated: May-22-15 6:49 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama's jobless rate ticked up slightly to 5.8 percent in April after months of steady decline.
- Pennsylvania shows biggest 1-month jobs gain since 1990s Updated: May-22-15 4:31 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Pennsylvania recorded its biggest one-month jobs gain in nearly two decades in April, while its unemployment rate stabilized after rising for three straight months, the state Department of Labor and Industry said Friday.
- Alaska unemployment rate reaches 6.7 percent in April Updated: May-22-15 1:34 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Alaska's unemployment rate reached 6.7 percent in April, up from March but lower than the same time last year.
- Idaho unemployment remains at 7-year low at 3.8 percent Updated: May-22-15 1:04 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho's unemployment rate remained at a seven-year low of 3.8 percent in April.
- Deere boosts guidance as construction offsets ag swoon Updated: May-22-15 11:24 am
MOLINE, Illinois - Solid sales of its construction equipment offset a global agricultural slowdown for Deere, the company said Friday. It also raised its outlook for the year and its shares rose nearly 4 percent Friday.
- Tennessee unemployment drops to lowest rate in 7 years Updated: May-22-15 4:02 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee's unemployment rate has dropped to 6 percent, down from 6.3 percent in March and the lowest rate in seven years.
- Taxes matter in fund investing, even when there's no bill Updated: May-21-15 5:27 pm
NEW YORK - Most of us don't worry about taxes when it comes to mutual funds.
- Arizona's unemployment rate drops to 6 percent Updated: May-21-15 3:46 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for April was 6 percent, down two-tenths of a percentage point from March.