- China stocks fall on IPO wave, Australia flat after rate cut Updated: May-05-15 5:07 am
HONG KONG - Chinese stocks plunged Tuesday as the start of an IPO wave cooled investor sentiment and Australian shares were flat after the central bank cut interest rates to a record low to stimulate the limping economy. Other global benchmarks were mixed with two major Asian markets closed.
- Pinnacle Entertainment in talks to sell real estate assets Updated: May-04-15 11:42 am
NEW YORK - Pinnacle Entertainment, which is in process of splitting into two companies, confirmed Monday that it is in talks to sell its real estate assets to Gaming and Leisure Properties Inc.
- US factory orders rise in March for first time in 8 months Updated: May-04-15 10:22 am
WASHINGTON - Orders to U.S. factories rose in March for the first time since last July, breaking a long stretch of weakness in manufacturing.
- Stocks open higher, building on gains from Friday Updated: May-04-15 9:46 am
NEW YORK - Stocks are opening slightly higher, building on their gains from Friday.
- Economist: Rhode Island is catching up in recession recovery Updated: May-01-15 2:13 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island still lags in recovering from the recession, but the state is starting to catch up with its New England neighbors, a senior economist from Moody's Analytics said Friday.
- US factory activity improves in April, but hiring declines Updated: May-01-15 11:19 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. factories expanded in April at the same pace as in March, but manufacturers are starting to curtail hiring in a possible sign of weakness.
- US consumer sentiment rises on optimism over job market Updated: May-01-15 10:55 am
WASHINGTON - Optimism about the job market lifted U.S. consumer sentiment in April to its second-highest level since 2007.
- Initial Louisiana unemployment claims drop Updated: May-01-15 10:41 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - The state labor department says first-time claims for unemployment insurance in Louisiana for the week ending April 25 decreased to 2,737 from the previous week's total of 2,789.
- Japan inflation edges up as BOJ keeps policy unchanged Updated: May-01-15 12:43 am
TOKYO - Japan's core inflation rate edged up in March and unemployment eased slightly, according to data released Friday, offering glimmers of promise for the world's No. 3 economy as it struggles to get growth back on track after years of stagnation.
- LinkedIn joins Twitter in post-earnings tumble Updated: Apr-30-15 8:46 pm
NEW YORK - Dumping social media stocks that show any sign of weakness is trending on Wall Street.
- Kansas lawmakers pass bill to overhaul unemployment program Updated: Apr-30-15 6:13 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas legislators have approved a bill setting a new cap on benefits for unemployed workers and overhauling the collection of taxes from businesses to finance the aid.
- Will Japan funds keep going, or just disappoint again? Updated: Apr-30-15 3:25 pm
NEW YORK - How much longer can the sun shine on Japan's stock market?
- Exxon's 1Q profit falls 46 percent amid decline in oil price Updated: Apr-30-15 12:49 pm
IRVING, Texas - Exxon earned $4.94 billion in the first quarter, a huge sum but only about half of what the company made last year. Lower oil prices depleted both Exxon's top and bottom lines.
- GNC shares fall on disappointing results Updated: Apr-30-15 12:17 pm
PITTSBURGH - GNC, which has faced government scrutiny about the nutritional supplements it sells, said Thursday that its profit fell more than 9 percent during its first quarter as sales slipped. The company also lowered its earnings and revenue outlooks for the year.
- Oakland County economy is in good shape, economists say Updated: Apr-30-15 11:28 am
PONTIAC, Michigan - Economists are predicting that Oakland County in a few years will have replenished 87 percent of jobs lost from 2000 through summer 2009.
- Applications for US unemployment aid plunge to 15-year low Updated: Apr-30-15 9:37 am
WASHINGTON - The number of Americans seeking unemployment aid plummeted to the lowest level in 15 years last week, evidence that employers are laying off few workers despite a sharp slowdown in economic growth.
- Shares of Yelp fall in late trading on weak 2Q outlook Updated: Apr-29-15 5:32 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Shares of Yelp Inc. dropped 14 percent in extended trading Wednesday after the online business reviews site reported a loss of $1.3 million in its first quarter and gave a lower-than-expected revenue outlook.
- Starwood Hotels considering strategic options Updated: Apr-29-15 4:04 pm
NEW YORK - Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide says its board of directors will explore "a full range" of strategic and financial options for the hotel company. Although the company did not cite specific actions, the possibilities could include a potential sale. Its shares jumped 8 percent in afternoon trading.
- US seeks criminal charges against Lumber Liquidators Updated: Apr-29-15 10:16 am
NEW YORK - The Justice Department is seeking criminal charges against Lumber Liquidators in an ongoing investigation over imported products.
- Merck hurdles Wall Street forecasts Updated: Apr-28-15 12:32 pm
Drugmaker Merck & Co. easily beat Wall Street expectations, sending its shares up sharply, despite first-quarter profit plunging 44 percent. Income was hurt by the sale of its consumer health business, unfavorable currency exchange rates and competition to some drugs.
- JetBlue shares soar to 11-year high on strong earnings Updated: Apr-28-15 12:09 pm
NEW YORK - Shares of JetBlue Airways jumped to an 11-year high Tuesday as the airline reported better-than-expected results for its first quarter, thanks to lower fuel prices and higher demand for its flights.
- Celladon shares dive on failed heart drug study Updated: Apr-27-15 9:02 am
NEW YORK - Shares of Celladon Corp. plummeted after the biotechnology company said its developing heart failure treatment failed to meet key goals in a pivotal study.
- Consumer confidence of Floridians dipped in April Updated: Apr-26-15 11:35 am
GAINESVILLE, Florida - Consumer confidence Is dropping after reaching its highest level in ten years.
- Northwest Alabama experiencing tourism boom thanks to film Updated: Apr-26-15 11:25 am
FLORENCE, Alabama - Tourism revenues for 2014 are up in every category in Colbert, Franklin and Lauderdale counties, a sign tourism in the Shoals and surrounding areas is thriving, officials said.
- USDA says potato stocks up 14 percent in North Dakota Updated: Apr-26-15 2:28 am
FARGO, North Dakota - Potato stocks in North Dakota are up 14 percent from a year ago.