- World markets drop after bleak Chinese industry report Updated: Sep-01-15 7:25 am
TOKYO - Global stock markets fell sharply Tuesday and Wall Street was set to open lower as gloomy economic data from China and Japan augured further uncertainty for investors after a brutal August.
- China factory indexes ebb in new sign of economic weakness Updated: Sep-01-15 12:55 am
HONG KONG - Chinese manufacturing showed further signs of weakness in August, adding to evidence of an inexorable slowdown in the world's No. 2 economy despite recent government efforts to support growth.
- AP National News Calendar Updated: Aug-28-15 4:47 pm
Eds: Major scheduled events for the week of August 30 - September 5. Note that many events are subject to change at the last minute.
- Manufacturing in New York shrinks by most since 2009 Updated: Aug-17-15 9:20 am
WASHINGTON - Manufacturing activity in New York state contracted in August at the fastest pace since the Great Recession, pulled down by sharp declines in new orders and shipments.
- US factory output climbed in July, lifted by auto production Updated: Aug-14-15 10:20 am
WASHINGTON - Auto plants, clothing makers and plastics factories drove a sharp rebound in U.S. manufacturing in July.
- From bananas to phones: How cheaper yuan could reverberate Updated: Aug-14-15 6:55 am
HONG KONG - China's unexpected move this week to lower the value of its tightly-leashed currency, the yuan, sent shockwaves through global financial markets. The impact on consumers around the world and China's neighbors will take longer to play out but possible winners and losers are already emerging.
- Tennessee editorial roundup Updated: Aug-05-15 12:25 pm
Recent editorials from Tennessee newspapers:
- Growth at US services firms surges to record in July Updated: Aug-05-15 11:03 am
WASHINGTON - Business at U.S. services companies surged in July, the Institute for Supply Management reported Wednesday.
- US factory orders advance 1.8 percent in June Updated: Aug-04-15 10:22 am
WASHINGTON - Orders to U.S. factories increased in June, and a key category that reflects business investment plans posted a modest rise. But the gains weren't robust enough to suggest that the sluggish manufacturing sector is mounting a significant turnaround.
- US manufacturing growth slows in July Updated: Aug-03-15 5:16 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. factories were a little less busy last month.
- US auto sales strong in July on SUV, luxury demand Updated: Aug-03-15 4:16 pm
DETROIT - More Americans are buying cars that say "look at me."