- Oil prices slide as worries about global supply glut mount Updated: Aug-03-15 3:13 pm
The slump in oil prices deepened Monday, pulling down the price of U.S. crude to the lowest level in more than four months.
- US stocks drop, led by fall in energy stocks Updated: Aug-03-15 1:55 pm
NEW YORK - U.S. stocks fell on Monday, led by a slumping energy sector as the price of oil continued to fall. Investors were also watching the latest earnings releases. Tyson Foods dropped after cutting its earnings outlook for the year.
- US consumer spending edges up in June Updated: Aug-03-15 9:20 am
WASHINGTON - Consumer spending in June rose by the smallest amount in four months as shoppers cut back on purchases of cars and other big-ticket items.
- Extended slump in oil taking toll on industry, economy Updated: Jul-31-15 2:40 pm
NEW YORK - As drivers, shippers and airlines continue to enjoy lower fuel prices, the oil industry is responding to much lower profits with sharp cuts in spending and employment that are hurting economic growth.
- Russia's central bank cuts key interest rate Updated: Jul-31-15 10:10 am
MOSCOW - The Russian central bank cut its key interest rate by 0.5 percentage points to 11 percent on Friday, bowing to the pressure of businesses to make lending more accessible.
- Unemployment, inflation stable in 19-nation eurozone Updated: Jul-31-15 8:40 am
BRUSSELS - Unemployment and inflation were stable in the 19-nation eurozone in early summer, when the Greek crisis was raging on and raising concerns over the outlook of the currency union.
- Spring rebound for US economy sets stage for Fed rate hike Updated: Jul-30-15 4:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy isn't moving at warp speed, but it looks like it will be strong enough to handle an expected interest rate increase later this year.
- Takeaway from Fed meeting: Expect a rate increase this year Updated: Jul-30-15 12:04 am
WASHINGTON - Expectations have grown that sometime this year, the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates from record lows. The only question seems to be when.
- The Latest: Brady and players' union file lawsuit again NFL Updated: Jul-29-15 6:31 pm
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - Here is the latest surrounding the suspension of star Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for using underinflated footballs (all times local):
- Better economy has smokers buying more Marlboros Updated: Jul-29-15 12:31 pm
NEW YORK - A better economy is helping sell more Marlboros and Camels, even as prices climb. That brought higher profits for their makers in the second quarter.
- US consumer confidence falls to lowest level since September Updated: Jul-28-15 1:19 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer confidence fell this month to the lowest level since September. Consumers are worried about the job market and rattled by events in Greece and China.
- From rents to haircuts, Americans start to feel price hikes Updated: Jul-28-15 1:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Apartment rents are up. So are prices for restaurant meals, haircuts, gym memberships and a cup of coffee.
- Strong home sales, limited supply lift US home prices in May Updated: Jul-28-15 12:08 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. home prices rose steadily in May, pushed higher by a healthy increase in sales this year.
- Q&A: What stock market tumble means for China, rest of world Updated: Jul-28-15 7:08 am
BEIJING - China's stock market tumbled this week despite a massive government intervention aimed at halting a slide in prices that began last month. At its peak in early June, the Shanghai Composite Index had risen about 150 percent from late 2014. After dropping 30 percent over several weeks, government support measures calmed the market. But on Monday the sell-off resumed, with the Shanghai index suffering a drop of 8.5 percent, its biggest daily fall since February 2007. Here's what the sell-off means for China's economy and other countries.
- Can US housing industry's comeback endure? The outlook dims Updated: Jul-24-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. housing market has sizzled this summer, lifting expectations that home sales will finally help drive an economic expansion now in its seventh year.
- Retail gasoline prices down 2 cents this week across Texas Updated: Jul-23-15 12:14 pm
COPPELL, Texas - Retail gasoline prices have slipped 2 cents this week across Texas to settle at $2.53 per gallon.
- US home sales surged in June to fastest pace in 8-plus years Updated: Jul-22-15 12:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Americans bought homes in June at the fastest rate in over eight years, pushing prices to record highs as buyer demand has eclipsed the availability of houses on the market.
- Gold falls to lowest level in five years on dollar strength Updated: Jul-20-15 5:05 pm
NEW YORK - Investors are running out of reasons to own gold.
- Official: Property taxes to grow less than 1% under cap Updated: Jul-20-15 11:31 am
ALBANY, New York - Property tax increases may be limited to less than 1 percent next year for more than 1,800 jurisdictions around the state, which could be problematic for local governments, New York's comptroller reported Monday.
- Rising gas prices push inflation up modestly in June Updated: Jul-17-15 9:37 am
WASHINGTON - Rising gasoline prices pushed inflation up modestly in June, leaving overall consumer prices higher than they were a year earlier for the first time since December.
- Yellen: Higher rates won't derail recovery Updated: Jul-16-15 5:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen sought to reassure worried lawmakers on Thursday that when the Fed begins to raise interest rates, it will be careful not to derail the economy.
- Fed survey finds economic growth in all regions of country Updated: Jul-15-15 2:57 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. economy was expanding in all regions of the country in the late spring, aided by strong sales of autos and other consumer goods.
- Egg prices blowing up because of avian flu Updated: Jul-15-15 10:21 am
WASHINGTON - Eggs are getting much more expensive - by the dozen and otherwise.
- 5 questions Fed Chair Yellen will face from Congress Updated: Jul-14-15 4:41 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen will deliver the central bank's mid-year economic outlook this week to Congress, where she will face grilling from House and Senate lawmakers.
- 4 key questions about Iran's influence on global oil prices Updated: Jul-14-15 3:16 pm
1. Will the agreement with Iran affect global oil prices?