- A year after background check defeat, modest goals Updated: Apr-16-14 3:09 am
- Rhode Island Senate panel mulls gun-related bills Updated: Apr-15-14 9:28 pm
- Bryant schools evacuated after threat found Updated: Apr-15-14 8:25 pm
- No discussion on SC anti-domestic violence bills Updated: Apr-15-14 8:23 pm
- Gunmen shoot at Jamaican lawmaker's bodyguards Updated: Apr-15-14 6:38 pm
- Boy, 10, arrested for carrying BB gun to school Updated: Apr-15-14 5:04 pm
- Ill. House orders new audit of anti-violence funds Updated: Apr-15-14 4:14 pm
- Coast Guard officer accused of Wisconsin assault Updated: Apr-15-14 2:22 pm
- Man accused of shooting son-in-law with flare gun Updated: Apr-15-14 2:19 pm
- Condemned killer of 3 in Corpus Christi set to die Updated: Apr-15-14 1:40 pm
- San Jose police officer pleads not guilty to rape Updated: Apr-15-14 12:13 pm
- 13-year-old accused of bringing gun to school Updated: Apr-15-14 9:47 am
- Man charged with killing prisoner Updated: Apr-15-14 8:16 am
- 2 women sue Boise State over sex assault response Updated: Apr-14-14 7:55 pm
- Family seeks answers in Alaska inmate's death Updated: Apr-14-14 7:17 pm
- Teen arrested for threat at Rogers High School Updated: Apr-14-14 5:13 pm
- University of Rhode Island police to carry guns Updated: Apr-14-14 12:03 pm
- Man dies of wounds in school parking lot shooting Updated: Apr-14-14 10:22 am
- Police: Connecticut teenager threatened Columbine Updated: Apr-14-14 9:34 am
- 18 given scholarships named after bullying victim Updated: Apr-14-14 6:38 am
- Argentine club named for Pope Francis opens play Updated: Apr-13-14 6:47 pm
- West Haven balks at site honoring Newtown victims Updated: Apr-13-14 4:43 pm
- Roswell shooting victims throw out 1st pitch Updated: Apr-13-14 12:16 am
- Omaha inmate attacked 1 day after surgery Updated: Apr-12-14 7:10 pm
- Students have mixed views on campus gun law Updated: Apr-12-14 2:17 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic worries about this November's elections, a lack of Senate votes and House opposition are forcing congressional gun-control supporters to significantly winnow their 2014 agenda, a year after lawmakers scuttled President Barack Obama's effort to pass new curbs on firearms.
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Rhode Island Senate committee took up gun legislation Tuesday, including a bill aimed at preventing people with severe mental illness from buying weapons and a proposal to ban the sale and possession of semi-automatic weapons.
BRYANT, Arkansas - School and police officials in Bryant say no bomb was found and a juvenile is in custody after a student found writing on a bathroom stall at Bryant Middle School that read "I have a bomb."
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A Senate committee on Tuesday postponed discussion of legislation targeting domestic violence in South Carolina because the Senate session ran late.
KINGSTON, Jamaica - Authorities in Jamaica say bodyguards for a Parliament member were shot at by gunmen in his gritty district.
RAPID CITY, South Dakota - Police in western South Dakota say a 10-year-old boy has been arrested at an elementary school for carrying a BB gun in his backpack.
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois lawmakers are seeking a new audit of anti-violence spending under Gov. Pat Quinn after a review in February found "pervasive" mismanagement in an earlier program.
MILWAUKEE - A U.S. Coast Guard officer will face a military hearing on allegations that he had abusive sexual contact with a female colleague while stationed in Milwaukee, the Coast Guard said Tuesday.
CHANDLER, Arizona - A Mesa man is accused of shooting a flare gun at his son-in-law and of trying to fatally stab the other man.
HUNTSVILLE, Texas - Jose Villegas was out on bond for a sexual assault charge and was supposed to go on trial in Corpus Christi for punching a woman in the face on the same day 13 years ago that he stabbed ex-girlfriend, her son and her mother to death.
SAN JOSE, California - A San Jose police officer accused of raping a woman while on duty has pleaded not guilty.
AURORA, Illinois - An 8th grader at a suburban Chicago middle school was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon after a loaded handgun was found inside his locker.
LAKE CHARLES, Louisiana - A man alleged to have killed another man in jail has pleaded not guilty in state district court.
BOISE, Idaho - Two former Boise State University students are suing the school because they say athletic officials ignored their reports of sexual assault and harassment by a star athlete.
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A California parolee who recently was found dead in his Alaska jail cell continued to be held in custody even though his case had been dismissed more than a week earlier.
ROGERS, Arkansas - Police in Rogers say a 15-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with a threatening message written on a boy's bathroom stall at Heritage High School.
SOUTH KINGSTOWN, Rhode Island - University of Rhode Island campus police will soon carry guns under a new policy announced Monday, ending the school's status as the only public university in the country where campus police do not carry firearms.
DETROIT - Police say a 19-year-old man has died from injuries he sustained in a gang shooting outside a Detroit high school.
LITCHFIELD, Connecticut - Before she was arrested on allegations of planning to shoot up two high schools, a Connecticut teenager was suspected of making threats against Columbine High School in Colorado.
HOLYOKE, Massachusetts - A foundation named after a Springfield sixth-grader who hanged himself after being relentlessly bullied has handed out $19,000 in college scholarships to 18 high school students.
LUJAN, Argentina - A new Argentine football team named after Pope Francis and meant to promote nonviolence has played it first official match in a regional league - a 2-2 draw that saw four players sent off.
WEST HAVEN, Connecticut - A land restriction may block a proposed playground in West Haven memorializing the 20 children and six educators who were fatally shot at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - Two students wounded in a Roswell school shooting in January threw the ceremonial first pitch at Isotopes Park.
OMAHA, Nebraska - A Douglas County jail inmate who underwent surgery after a fight with another inmate was the target of a second attack the day he returned from the hospital, authorities said.
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho - Starting July 1, Idaho's public college students can pack more than just homework and pencils to class - those with enhanced concealed-carry permits will be allowed to carry guns.