- Minn. Senate told of stepped-up campus security Updated: Dec-10-13 1:35 pm
- South Carolina editorial roundup Updated: Dec-10-13 1:26 pm
- Brazilian team wants to annul game marked by fight Updated: Dec-10-13 10:15 am
- Report: Md. among states with toughest gun laws Updated: Dec-10-13 7:47 am
- Milan, Ajax battle it out for spot in next round Updated: Dec-10-13 7:14 am
- AP Enterprise: Serbia in domestic violence crisis Updated: Dec-10-13 6:14 am
- 1 year after Newtown, Biden to boost mental health Updated: Dec-10-13 6:10 am
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face federal charges Updated: Dec-09-13 10:41 pm
- Chief: Fatally shot Texas student charged officer Updated: Dec-09-13 8:16 pm
- DOJ official calls ND meeting an important step Updated: Dec-09-13 8:07 pm
- Mall victim's family focuses on gun violence Updated: Dec-09-13 6:30 pm
- W.Va. students arrested after threat investigation Updated: Dec-09-13 5:04 pm
- Newtown asks for privacy, kindness on 1-year mark Updated: Dec-09-13 3:07 pm
- Study: Erratic TV violence ratings fail parents Updated: Dec-09-13 8:41 am
- Defending Brazilian champion Fluminense relegated Updated: Dec-08-13 6:48 pm
- UConn gives out first 2 Newtown scholarships Updated: Dec-08-13 4:53 pm
- Gov. calls for bells to toll Dec. 14 for Newtown Updated: Dec-08-13 2:44 pm
- Students create way to report bullies Updated: Dec-08-13 9:05 am
- Program aims to change norms about violence Updated: Dec-08-13 6:21 am
- Union County inmate found dead in his cell Updated: Dec-07-13 2:29 pm
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness' Updated: Dec-07-13 9:41 am
- FBI steps up training after Newtown massacre Updated: Dec-06-13 7:38 pm
- Records: Slain East St. Louis mom feared for life Updated: Dec-06-13 5:52 pm
- SW Mich. college closes for day due to threats Updated: Dec-06-13 5:24 pm
- Teen dies in shooting near Jackson high school Updated: Dec-06-13 3:28 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Campus and city police forces assured Minnesota lawmakers Tuesday that they've stepped up patrols and security features around Twin Cities-area colleges as a response to brash crimes affecting students.
Recent editorials from South Carolina newspapers:
SAO PAULO - The Brazilian team relegated in the match stopped by fan violence this weekend will ask the country's sports tribunal to annul the result.
ANNAPOLIS, Maryland - A report ranks Maryland as having the fourth-toughest firearms laws in the nation, placing it behind California, Connecticut and New Jersey.
MILAN - AC Milan and Ajax will play for a spot in the knockout stage of the Champions League on Wednesday.
POZAREVAC, Serbia - There was the time he smashed her head against the concrete floor and collected the gushing blood in a bucket, Mica said, apparently just for fun. And the beating that left a wall so splattered the family spent a whole day repainting it. There were the rapes that left her numb and the insults of "whore" that filled her with helpless rage.
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is pledging more funding for mental health as the first anniversary of the Newtown, Connecticut, school shooting approaches.
LOS ANGELES - Federal officials said 18 current and former Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies saw themselves as being "above the law" when they engaged in crimes that included beating inmates and jail visitors, falsifying reports, and trying to obstruct an FBI probe of the nation's largest jail system.
SAN ANTONIO - A San Antonio university student was charging toward an officer with his hand raised when he was fatally shot during a traffic stop, authorities said Monday.
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A tribal nations meeting in North Dakota is an early and important step in protecting Native American and Alaska Native children, a high-ranking U.S. Department of Justice official said Monday.
PORTLAND, Oregon - Cindy Yuille's family - and 4-year-old dog, Jack - will hold a funeral soon for her, about a year after she was killed. She told her family she wanted to be buried in the backyard of their Portland home, but instead her husband, daughter and son have been spreading her ashes all over the world - the Bahamas, Florida, Canada's Lake Louise.
SHADY SPRING, West Virginia - Two West Virginia high school students have been arrested after authorities say it appears they were planning an attack on their classmates.
NEWTOWN, Connecticut - Newtown officials asked for privacy and joined victims' families Monday in calling for people to mark the upcoming anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting by performing acts of kindness or volunteering with charities.
LOS ANGELES - Violent dramas on the broadcast networks carry milder parental cautions than cable shows like "The Walking Dead" but can equal them in graphic gore, a failure of the TV ratings system, a new study found.
SAO PAULO - Fluminense became the first defending Brazilian league champion to be relegated to the second division on Sunday, and traditional Rio de Janeiro rival Vasco da Gama also was demoted.
STORRS, Connecticut - The University of Connecticut has awarded the first two scholarships under a program launched to help those affected by last year's massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut's governor is calling for houses of worship to mark the first anniversary of the Newtown school shooting by ringing their bells 26 times - once for each of the victims killed inside Sandy Hook Elementary School.
BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky - Students at a Bowling Green elementary school are coming up with new ways to fight bullying.
JUNEAU, Alaska - You see a man screaming at a woman and a child in public, and things look to be escalating toward violence. The woman uses her body to protect the scared child. You wonder if you should intervene, and if so, how? What do you do?
UNION, South Carolina - Authorities say an inmate has died at the Union County jail.
NEW BRITAIN, Connecticut - Newtown groups and members of Connecticut's Congressional delegation are kicking off a week of "acts of kindness" to honor the victims of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - FBI Director James Comey said Friday the agency has stepped up training for police departments around the country after the Newtown school shooting and is trying to increase its understanding of warning signs before such tragedies.
BELLEVILLE, Illinois - Having survived getting her neck cut during a domestic dispute, Michelle Rowling worried her former boyfriend would take her life and considered his latest release from jail an ominous sign. With a few clicks on her keyboard, she told the world.
BENTON TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A small college in the corner of southwestern Michigan can reopen after authorities found nothing credible about a fired employee's threats.
JACKSON, Mississippi - Jackson police have arrested two teenagers in a fatal shooting that happened near Wingfield High School.