- Officials: 1 dead, 3 wounded in university shooting in Ariz. Updated: Oct-09-15 6:51 am
FLAGSTAFF, Arizona - Officials say one person is dead and three others are wounded following an early morning shooting at Northern Arizona University
- Obama focusing on condolences, not gun laws, in Oregon visit Updated: Oct-09-15 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is bringing words of comfort and sympathy to grieving families of victims of the shooting rampage in Roseburg, Oregon, muting his message about the need for new laws to stem gun violence as he visits an area where firearms are popular.
- Police: Multiple shots fired into Cleveland State apartment Updated: Oct-09-15 3:31 am
CLEVELAND - Cleveland police say they're looking for a suspect who fired numerous shots at an apartment building on the campus of Cleveland State University.
- Appeals court sides with California regents in UCLA attack Updated: Oct-09-15 1:25 am
LOS ANGELES - A state appeals court says a woman who was attacked by a classmate at UCLA cannot hold the university responsible.
- Serbia snatches 2-0 win in Albania in tense Euro qualifier Updated: Oct-08-15 6:48 pm
ELBASAN, Albania - Serbia snatched a late 2-0 over Albania with injury-time goals from Aleksandar Kolarov and Adem Ljajic, stunning the hosts in a tense European qualifier.
- Indiana U. fraternity charter revoked over explicit video Updated: Oct-08-15 6:36 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Alpha Tau Omega revoked the charter and closed its Indiana University chapter Thursday following the release of a video purportedly showing a fraternity member performing a sex act on a woman.
- In Oregon visit, Obama will find grief but also resentment Updated: Oct-08-15 6:30 pm
ROSEBURG, Oregon - When President Barack Obama arrives here Friday, he will find a timber town still in mourning over the shooting that killed eight community college students and a teacher. But he will also find another deeply held emotion - seething anger over his calls for new gun restrictions.
- Report: More than 58,000 violent deaths last year in Brazil Updated: Oct-08-15 4:57 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil reached a new peak of violence last year with more than 58,000 violent deaths, a watchdog group said Thursday.
- Video shows inmate's struggle with deputies before death Updated: Oct-08-15 3:53 pm
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Surveillance video from a Georgia jail shows an inmate being punched and kicked in a fight with deputies, then being left alone in restraints for an hour and a half before jailers found him dead.
- Sexual assaults in study-abroad programs draw new attention Updated: Oct-08-15 3:34 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - As colleges wrestle with how to address sexual assault, a legal challenge involving a small Vermont institution brings an obscure part of the equation to the fore: how to report, investigate and punish sexual assaults that happen in overseas-study programs.
- Main suspect in video of gun flashed behind officer released Updated: Oct-08-15 1:56 pm
LOS ANGELES - A man arrested in connection with an online video showing someone flash a gun while filming a Los Angeles police officer has been released after posting bail.
- Police: Teenager, 15, charged after school reports threat Updated: Oct-08-15 12:54 pm
POCATELLO, Idaho - A 15-year-old boy in eastern Idaho has been charged with threatening violence at a school and telephone harassment after a high school went on lockdown because of a violent threat posted online.
- Practicing in a car park: WCup qualifying for Somalia's team Updated: Oct-08-15 12:24 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - While revelations swirl of FIFA executives in expensive suits taking millions in bribes to award money-spinning World Cups, some of the poorest teams face near-impossible challenges to make it to soccer's biggest tournament, and try their hearts out anyway.
- Alabama school system uses gun-sniffing dogs to find threats Updated: Oct-08-15 10:45 am
ALEXANDRIA, Alabama - He's the busiest school resource officer at Alexandria High School, and he's very popular.
- Threatening note found at Baton Rouge Community College Updated: Oct-08-15 6:00 am
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Baton Rouge Community College is under heightened security after a digital note began circulating warning students not to attend school on Oct. 15.
- Alabama teen arrested for bringing unloaded gun to school Updated: Oct-08-15 4:30 am
RUSSELLVILLE, Alabama - A Russellville High School student is in custody after police say the boy brought an unloaded gun to school.
- Senate Democrats preparing legislative package to curb guns Updated: Oct-07-15 11:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats are preparing a legislative push to curb guns, a week after a mass shooting at an Oregon community college refocused attention on the nation's toll of firearms deaths.
- James Blake: Police watchdog substantiates force complaint Updated: Oct-07-15 10:56 pm
NEW YORK - Two police officers involved in the mistaken arrest of former tennis pro James Blake, including one who tackled him to the ground, will face an administrative trial after the city's police watchdog substantiated Blake's excessive-force complaint.
- Oregon gunman killed himself after police wounded him Updated: Oct-07-15 7:53 pm
ROSEBURG, Oregon - The gunman who fatally shot nine people at an Oregon community college last week killed himself in front of his victims after two police officers wounded him, authorities said Wednesday.
- Security threat at EKU moves game to Georgetown College Updated: Oct-07-15 5:59 pm
RICHMOND, Kentucky - Eastern Kentucky has moved Thursday night's Ohio Valley Conference game against Tennessee Tech north to Georgetown College after a security threat led school officials to cancel classes for the remainder of this week.
- People magazine issues gun violence 'call to action' Updated: Oct-07-15 5:55 pm
NEW YORK - In the aftermath of the Oregon school shooting, People magazine did something it always does: It covered the story at length and wrote about each victim. But the magazine also did something it hasn't done before.
- Justice Dept, police gather for summit on violent crime Updated: Oct-07-15 4:58 pm
WASHINGTON - Justice Department officials met Wednesday with police commanders, mayors and FBI leaders from across the country to discuss ways to reduce violent crime.
- Eastern Kentucky University cancels classes; cites threat Updated: Oct-07-15 4:47 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Eastern Kentucky University canceled classes and shifted a home football game to another campus because of an escalating threat after the discovery of graffiti that threatened to "kill all" this week, school officials said Wednesday.
- Student with pellet gun prompts Virginia school lockdown Updated: Oct-07-15 4:45 pm
CULPEPER, Virginia - A sheriff says a ninth-grade student who was seen on a school bus with a pellet gun two days in a row sparked the lockdown of three Virginia schools.
- Ohio authorities probe string of school threats Updated: Oct-07-15 3:51 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - State authorities are investigating a string of threats made against schools across Ohio.