- 3 charged in undercover NYPD gun bust that led to shooting Updated: Aug-31-15 12:50 am
NEW YORK - Three people have been charged in connection with a probe into the sale of illegal firearms that an officer was investigating when he opened fire on an armed suspect and accidentally shot and killed a bystander, authorities said Sunday.
- Gainesville student murders: 25 years later Updated: Aug-30-15 1:00 am
GAINESVILLE, Florida - Twenty-five years ago, the brutal murder of five college students shattered the tranquility of this college town and threw the University of Florida campus into a panic the like of which has not been seen here since.
- On-Air Ambush: TV crew's killing unfolds in real time Updated: Aug-29-15 7:26 pm
The on-air shooting deaths of Virginia TV reporter Alison Parker and cameraman Adam Ward and the suicide five hours later of gunman Vester Flanagan played out in a sort of surreal time, spilling from TV screens within range of the Roanoke station's signal to horrified viewers the world over via social media. Five hours of horror, delivered in electronic bursts.
- Newark holds '24 Hours of Peace' amid surge in violence Updated: Aug-29-15 5:43 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Yoga devotees and hip-hop music fans were among the thousands who flooded several blocks of New Jersey's largest city on Saturday with the hopes of creating a cease-fire against the city's spike in gun violence.
- Parents express concern about activity in park near school Updated: Aug-29-15 1:34 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Parents, kids and neighbors are expressing concern about criminal activity in North Park Blocks as the school year begins for students nearby.
- Daughter of slain store owner finds calling through tragedy Updated: Aug-29-15 12:17 pm
YORK, Pennsylvania - The final violent act of a domestic abuser Alecia Armold never even met devastated her family. But in picking up the pieces, Armold has found what she suspects is her true calling:
- Hometown names school for teacher killed at Newtown Updated: Aug-29-15 12:04 pm
STRATFORD, Connecticut - A teacher who died trying to protect her students during the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown has had a new school named after her.
- After TV slaying, reporter's dad finds voice on gun control Updated: Aug-28-15 6:30 pm
COLLINSVILLE, Virginia - Andy Parker's resolve to fight for gun control formed in the hours after his daughter was shot and killed on live television. In his first interviews after the tragedy, he briefly mentioned the issue as he eulogized Alison. By Friday, he was pledging a full-scale fight for tougher gun laws on national TV.
- Man gets prison term for assaulting 2 corrections officers Updated: Aug-28-15 5:09 pm
FLORENCE, Arizona - A man accused of attacking two corrections officers in Pinal County in separate incidents has been sentenced to 22 years in prison.
- Iowa college students work to end catcalling on campus Updated: Aug-28-15 4:37 pm
IOWA CITY, Iowa - Student government leaders at the University of Iowa have launched a campaign to reduce catcalling, saying that the shouts are a form of sexual harassment.
- Arizona lawmaker to lead Nevada anti-school bullying program Updated: Aug-28-15 4:33 pm
PHOENIX - Nevada education officials have tapped an Arizona lawmaker to run a new anti-bullying program championed by Gov. Brian Sandoval.
- School employee harassed by co-worker sues Portland district Updated: Aug-28-15 3:13 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - A Portland Public Schools employee who was harassed by a co-worker seeks $650,000 in a lawsuit against the district.
- Douglas schools closed Friday after threatening calls Updated: Aug-28-15 2:06 pm
DOUGLAS, Arizona - The Douglas Unified School District has closed all of its eight schools after receiving threatening phone calls.
- The Latest: Survivor expresses condolences for TV workers Updated: Aug-28-15 1:36 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The latest on the on-air killing of two TV station employees in Virginia (all times local):
- Woman doing 75 years for homicide dies in Billings hospital Updated: Aug-28-15 12:47 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - An 81-year-old Montana Women's Prison inmate, who was serving time for the death of her stepfather, has died in a Billings hospital.
- Student killed in shooting at Savannah State University Updated: Aug-28-15 10:40 am
SAVANNAH, Georgia - Authorities are investigating after a shooting at Savannah State University killed a student and prompted a lockdown at the Georgia school Thursday night.
- Officials: Student, 13, who made threats taken into custody Updated: Aug-28-15 6:49 am
ROEBUCK, South Carolina - A 13-year-old student has been charged with disturbing a school after officials say he verbally threatened to shoot several students at a Spartanburg County high school.
- Grand jury indicts man in death of fellow inmate Updated: Aug-28-15 6:20 am
HOLBROOK, Arizona - A grand jury has indicted a man locked up in the Navajo County jail in the death of a fellow inmate earlier this year.
- Domestic violence victim protests use of city's nuisance law Updated: Aug-27-15 7:58 pm
PHOENIX - A domestic violence victim has alleged in a lawsuit that a police officer from a Phoenix suburb pressured her landlord to evict her for repeatedly calling 911 for protection from her abusive former boyfriend.
- Student charged in university threats, will be evaluated Updated: Aug-27-15 7:50 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - A student who Mississippi State University officials say threatened to kill himself and others will face misdemeanor disorderly conduct charges and has been referred for a mental and psychological evaluation.
- Teacher describes handling gun-wielding teen hostage taker Updated: Aug-27-15 6:43 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Thirty-year veteran teacher Twila Smith had scarcely started a new school year when a 14-year-old freshman entered her world studies class and drew a gun Tuesday.
- Federal prosecutors probing NY state inmate's April death Updated: Aug-27-15 6:16 pm
NEW YORK - Federal prosecutors have joined a local investigation into the April death of a New York state inmate following a confrontation with prison guards.
- Memories, tears mark newscast a day after on-air shootings Updated: Aug-27-15 5:59 pm
ROANOKE, Virginia - The colleagues of two journalists shot to death on live television returned to their morning show Thursday with memories, tears and a determination to carry on.
- Northern Kentucky student charged after gun spotted Updated: Aug-27-15 5:38 pm
HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, Kentucky - A Northern Kentucky University spokeswoman says a student has been charged after she was seen with a gun in the school library.
- Black Lives Matter boos Washington mayor's anti-crime plans Updated: Aug-27-15 2:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Protesters who interrupted Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser's announcement of her crime-fighting platform say increasing police powers won't reduce violence and the mayor is only paying superficial attention to their concerns.