- Indonesia extradites ex-police officer sought in US murder Updated: Sep-02-15 8:13 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - A former Austin, Texas, police officer has been charged with capital murder in the death of his pregnant girlfriend, according to a federal affidavit unsealed Wednesday.
- Power struggle at FAMU after hazing death brings new crisis Updated: Sep-02-15 6:52 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Trustees at Florida A&M University turned to an outsider - and the school's first female president - to lead them out of the turmoil that followed the hazing death of a Marching 100 drum major. But 18 months later the historic school is facing a new crisis marked by allegations of harassment and insubordination - and complaints from politicians.
- Video of Arizona police officer whipping dog prompts probe Updated: Sep-02-15 6:10 pm
PHOENIX - A suburban Phoenix police officer is being investigated after a video posted online purportedly shows him whipping and kicking a police dog.
- New program aims to combat racial inequities in youth crime Updated: Sep-02-15 5:28 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Several agencies in Dane County are teaming up on a pilot program aimed at balancing racial inequities among young offenders in the criminal justice system.
- Teen arrested after school officials find gun in backpack Updated: Sep-02-15 3:35 pm
GREELEY, Colorado - A teen suspected of smoking marijuana near school was arrested after administrators found an unloaded gun and ammunition in his backpack.
- AP Exclusive: Records show university's response to Holmes Updated: Sep-02-15 2:54 pm
DENVER - More than a month before James Holmes' rampage on a Colorado movie theater, the head of his neuroscience graduate program called a campus police officer with alarming information: Holmes had told his psychiatrist that he wanted to kill people to make up for his failure in science.
- Police probe hazing allegations involving football team Updated: Sep-02-15 2:34 pm
CROMWELL, Connecticut - An investigation is underway into allegations of hazing involving a Connecticut high school football team.
- Fate of 'Angola Three' inmate is argued before appeals court Updated: Sep-02-15 11:58 am
NEW ORLEANS - Louisiana attorneys asked a federal appeals court Wednesday to block the release of longtime inmate Albert Woodfox and allow prosecutors to try him a third time in the 1972 death of a prison guard, but Woodfox's lawyer said a fair trial would be impossible due to the passage of time and the death of critical witnesses..
- Plea ends former police chief's case in death of black man Updated: Sep-02-15 5:37 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The family of an unarmed black man shot to death by a white former police chief of a small South Carolina town reluctantly accepted a plea deal on a lesser charge that will give him a year of home detention, but no prison time.
- School shooter texted 'I'm sorry' to family before killings Updated: Sep-02-15 12:19 am
SEATTLE - Minutes before a Washington state high school freshman fatally shot four friends and then himself, he sent a group text message to his family outlining his funeral wishes and apologizing to the parents of the teenagers he was about to kill.
- 2 killed in police-involved shooting; school put on lockdown Updated: Sep-01-15 10:26 pm
TWINSBURG, Ohio - Two people have been killed and one person wounded in a police-involved shooting in northeast Ohio that forced a nearby college to go into lockdown.
- Ex-student who sparked campus lockdown won't face charges Updated: Sep-01-15 7:28 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Authorities won't seek criminal charges against a former Mississippi State University student who sparked a campus lockdown last Thursday.
- Classes at California school canceled after gun threats Updated: Sep-01-15 3:30 pm
FRESNO, California - A 15-year-old boy was arrested and classes at a Central California high school were canceled Tuesday after police discovered threats against other students posted on social media, authorities said.
- California Assembly OKs banning concealed weapons at schools Updated: Sep-01-15 3:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Assembly has approved a bill that would ban concealed weapons from schools and universities throughout the state.
- First court date approaches in Freddie Gray case Updated: Sep-01-15 3:27 pm
BALTIMORE - Four months after six Baltimore police officers were charged in the death of Freddie Gray, defense attorneys and prosecutors will appear before a judge who will determine how the case will move forward.
- Recent editorials published in Indiana newspapers Updated: Sep-01-15 2:04 pm
The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette. August 26, 2015
- Man dies, shot in dispute at Texas Southern University lot Updated: Sep-01-15 11:53 am
HOUSTON - Houston police say a man has died after being shot during a disturbance at a Texas Southern University dormitory parking lot.
- Suspended T officer charged with assaulting wife at concert Updated: Sep-01-15 8:56 am
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - A suspended transit police officer named in a civil rights lawsuit for allegedly assaulting a woman at a bus station is now facing charges of assaulting her wife outside a country music concert at Gillette Stadium.
- Police chief says he's sorry former officer not charged Updated: Sep-01-15 7:52 am
BIDDEFORD, Maine - A police chief in Maine says he is sorry the state's attorney general declined to charge a former police officer with sexually abusing a teenager.
- San Diego college ends firearms class after investigation Updated: Sep-01-15 5:40 am
SAN DIEGO - Miramar College in San Diego has ended its firearms classes that they had offered to the general public amid an investigation into an instructor who brought a gun to a meeting.
- The war room, the street: 2 responses to Baltimore violence Updated: Sep-01-15 4:55 am
BALTIMORE - There are only three rules at the Kids Safe Zone: Sign in, clean up after yourself, and read for 15 minutes before playing with the toys stacked around the space, a converted laundromat in West Baltimore.
- Dems introduce bill to allow gun ban at sports, music venues Updated: Sep-01-15 4:05 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Two Democrats are introducing legislation to allow all firearms to be banned at major sports and music venues.
- 6 high school football players sentenced in hazing case Updated: Aug-31-15 8:01 pm
NEW BRUNSWICK, New Jersey - Six of the seven football players accused of hazing and sexual assaulting four other teammates in a New Jersey high school locker room were placed on probationary terms, prosecutors announced Monday night.
- Shooter's ex-girlfriend seeks to block release of records Updated: Aug-31-15 7:47 pm
EVERETT, Washington - The ex-girlfriend of a teen who fatally shot four classmates is seeking to block the release of some records related to the shooting at Marysville-Pilchuck High School.
- Task force issues 50 solutions for curbing domestic violence Updated: Aug-31-15 6:34 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A task force's recommendations for combating domestic violence in South Carolina include training more 911 operators, improving documentation of the crime scene and increasing the number of shelters statewide.