- Dallas student accidentally shoots himself at high school Updated: May-02-16 3:20 pm
DALLAS - Officials say a high school student accidentally shot himself after bringing a handgun to school that he carried in his pocket.
- Southern Idaho domestic violence shelter faces money trouble Updated: May-02-16 3:13 pm
BURLEY, Idaho - A southern Idaho domestic violence shelter is vowing to remain open although it failed to obtain a $200,000 grant.
- Protests target racism, debt at Southern Illinois University Updated: May-02-16 1:22 pm
CARBONDALE, Illinois - Several hundred Southern Illinois University protesters have rallied against student debt and racism following recent incidents including an anonymous video calling for violence against black students.
- Orlando cops on leave during fatal shooting investigation Updated: May-02-16 12:37 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - Police officers in Orlando, Florida, are being put on customary administrative leave while authorities investigate the fatal shooting of a man carrying an imitation firearm.
- New Haven man's story of liquor store arrest spurs protest Updated: May-02-16 6:41 am
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Demonstrators and Black Lives Matter activists gathered in front of the New Haven Police Department headquarters to protest a 27-year-old man's arrest at a liquor store over the weekend.
- Seeking a high-tech solution to make firearms safer Updated: May-02-16 3:36 am
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - Jonathan Mossberg is among a small number of pioneers looking to build a safer gun. But unlike many others, he was in the gun business when he started down that path.
- Bradley County inmate dies following jail fight Updated: May-01-16 4:34 pm
CLEVELAND, Tennessee - Authorities in east Tennessee say a jail inmate has died following a fight.
- Champaign police officer waives jury in sex assault case Updated: May-01-16 11:45 am
CHAMPAIGN, Illinois - A Champaign police officer charged with sex crimes involving three women in two counties has waived his right to a jury trial in one of the cases, which was set to start this week.
- Lawmakers ask colleagues to wear bow ties to fight bullying Updated: May-01-16 11:00 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Two state lawmakers are encouraging their colleagues to wear bow ties and scarves to raise money to fight bullying.
- Connecticut House votes to toughen school threats penalty Updated: Apr-30-16 7:26 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut lawmakers are moving closer toward imposing tougher criminal penalties against those who threaten schools.
- Student arrested after unloaded guns found on school grounds Updated: Apr-30-16 5:24 pm
SUPERIOR, Wisconsin - Superior police say a 17-year-old high school student was arrested after unloaded guns were found in a vehicle on school property.
- Closing arguments slated in trial in college dorm death Updated: Apr-30-16 2:21 pm
LANCASTER, Pennsylvania - Closing arguments are expected Monday in the trial of a man accused of beating and strangling his college freshman girlfriend in her central Pennsylvania dormitory
- Prisoner death at Parchman being investigated Updated: Apr-30-16 12:54 pm
PARCHMAN, Mississippi - Officials continue to investigate the death of an inmate at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.
- Bills borrowing for schools, roads meet crossover deadline Updated: Apr-30-16 11:44 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Bills to borrow money to repair South Carolina's crumbling roads and public schools are among those clearing Sunday's crossover deadline, while measures not likely to make it include those strengthening penalties for killing a K-9.
- Deal considers measures as deadline looms Updated: Apr-30-16 11:41 am
ATLANTA - Several pieces of legislation continue to wait on the desk of Gov. Nathan Deal, as the May 3 deadline looms for Deal to sign, veto or opt to not take action on the measures.
- Tucson police: Suspicious person with gun seen near school Updated: Apr-29-16 8:51 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - Tucson police detained a person while investigating a report of a suspicious person who allegedly brandished a gun near an elementary school on the city's east side.
- The Latest: Iditarod bans musher in domestic violence case Updated: Apr-29-16 7:08 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The Latest on the Iditarod banning a musher facing domestic violence charges from next year's race (all times local):
- Obama announces new steps to curb gun violence Updated: Apr-29-16 6:03 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama announced new steps Friday to help curb gun violence, including by identifying the requirements that "smart guns" would have to meet for law enforcement agencies to buy and use them as well as sharing mental health records with the federal background check system.
- Ohio schools close over misinterpretation of video threat Updated: Apr-29-16 6:00 pm
ATHENS, Ohio - Six Ohio school districts closed on Friday while authorities investigated what turned out to be a misinterpretation of an anonymous video threatening the safety of "American students."
- The Latest: Video threatening US students posted from Europe Updated: Apr-29-16 4:40 pm
ATHENS, Ohio - The Latest on a video threat connected to Ohio University (all times local):
- More than 200 Boca Juniors hooligans being held in Paraguay Updated: Apr-29-16 2:17 pm
ASUNCION, Paraguay - More than 200 hooligans following Argentine club Boca Juniors were detained in Paraguay for acts of vandalism at a Copa Libertadores round-of-16 match against local club Cerro Porteno.
- 'Frisco Five' fast to protest San Francisco police brutality Updated: Apr-29-16 10:11 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Five people in San Francisco are on the ninth day of a hunger strike, saying they won't eat until San Francisco's police chief is fired or resigns.
- Expert: Freshman died of nosebleed, not attack by boyfriend Updated: Apr-29-16 9:17 am
LANCASTER, Pennsylvania - A defense expert says a Pennsylvania college freshman who prosecutors say was beaten and strangled by her boyfriend in her dorm room actually died from a "massive nosebleed" caused by a previous fracture of her eye socket.
- Police: Hammond teen arrested for making threat at school Updated: Apr-29-16 8:57 am
HAMMOND, Louisiana - Authorities say a 15-year-old Hammond High Magnet School student has been arrested for writing a threat on a desk.
- Police: Boy, 13, in custody after taking gun into school Updated: Apr-29-16 6:08 am
LEECHBURG, Pennsylvania - A 13-year-old boy has been taken into custody after police say he took a loaded gun into a western Pennsylvania school.