- Not all want University of Rhode Island cops armed Updated: Apr-20-14 11:04 am
- New Haven teams canvass in effort to halt violence Updated: Apr-20-14 1:05 am
- Feds probe how UC Berkeley handles sexual assaults Updated: Apr-19-14 7:22 pm
- Univ. of North Alabama student faces threat charge Updated: Apr-19-14 3:49 pm
- Calif inmate death in Oklahoma under investigation Updated: Apr-19-14 1:25 pm
- Branstad priorities not OK'd as adjournment nears Updated: Apr-19-14 10:05 am
- Discrimination task force issues recommendations Updated: Apr-19-14 12:50 am
- Judge rejects witness in Kodiak Coast Guard trial Updated: Apr-18-14 7:43 pm
- Warren police say student brought gun to school Updated: Apr-18-14 6:02 pm
- Man sentenced in USC shooting that wounded 4 Updated: Apr-18-14 5:40 pm
- Bond set for teen in shooting of 14-year-old Updated: Apr-18-14 5:11 pm
- Judge rules in favor of Picayune School District Updated: Apr-18-14 4:45 pm
- Abbott: Armed school employees OK under Texas law Updated: Apr-18-14 4:24 pm
- Professor: 'Game of Thrones' pic got me suspended Updated: Apr-18-14 3:52 pm
- 7-year-old has loaded gun at Jefferson Co. school Updated: Apr-18-14 2:14 pm
- Ohio school shooting victim's dad died from heroin Updated: Apr-18-14 12:28 pm
- CU will ignore faculty group criticism Updated: Apr-18-14 9:40 am
- Suburban Philly teen waging war on Darfur violence Updated: Apr-18-14 9:23 am
- Corrections officer accused of sexual assault Updated: Apr-18-14 6:56 am
- Killing reported at Oregon railroad workplace Updated: Apr-17-14 9:14 pm
- Bessemer jail inmate found dead inside cell Updated: Apr-17-14 6:05 pm
- W.Va. AG court filings: dismiss gun law question Updated: Apr-17-14 5:26 pm
- APNewsBreak: Embattled academy official to retire Updated: Apr-17-14 3:49 pm
- Note leads to police increase at 2 Salina schools Updated: Apr-17-14 3:11 pm
- PAOK fan arrested for Greek Cup anchovy stunt Updated: Apr-17-14 1:26 pm
SOUTH KINGSTOWN, Rhode Island - The University of Rhode Island's plan to arm campus police is drawing mixed reviews from students and faculty, with some saying it's long overdue at the nation's only public university where campus police do not carry firearms and others who fear it will lead to more violence.
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - She hoped to be attending Torrence Gamble's graduation in a few years, not visiting him in prison, Superintendent Garth Harries recalled a teacher telling him after Gamble was shot to death.
BERKELEY, California - Federal officials are investigating how the University of California, Berkeley responds to reports of campus sexual assaults.
FLORENCE, Alabama - A University of North Alabama student who police said threatened to "shoot up" the school in an Internet post was charged with making a terroristic threat.
SACRAMENTO, California - Authorities are investigating the death of a California state prison inmate locked up in Oklahoma.
DES MOINES, Iowa - As the end of the legislative session draws near, Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad is pushing lawmakers to keep some of his priorities in mind.
SAN JOSE, California - A committee formed at San Jose State University after a black student said his white roommates racially harassed and tortured him has issued a set of recommendations to the school on how it can improve safety and diversity on campus.
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - An inmate known as "Eyeball" will not be taking the stand for the defense in a Kodiak Coast Guard double homicide case - at least for now - after a judge ruled Friday there's no proven connection between him and the case.
WARREN, Michigan - Warren police say an unloaded .22-caliber pistol and six bullets were found in the backpack of a 15-year-old student at his high school.
LOS ANGELES - A man who shot and wounded four people outside of a Halloween party on the University of Southern California campus was sentenced Friday to 40 years to life in prison.
CHICAGO - Bond has been set at $950,000 for a Chicago teenager accused of shooting a 14-year-old after the victim denied being a street gang member.
PICAYUNE, Mississippi - A Pearl River County judge has dismissed a lawsuit that alleged Picayune school officials were liable for a high school baseball player's injuries by failing to protect him from a hazing incident.
AUSTIN, Texas - Attorney General Greg Abbott says Texas school districts that authorize employees to carry handguns aren't violating state law.
PARAMUS, New Jersey - A New Jersey professor claims he was suspended over an online photo containing a quote from "Game of Thrones" that he says a school official perceived as a threat.
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - The Jefferson County sheriff's department says a teacher at Center Point Elementary School removed a loaded handgun from a 7-year-old student.
CHARDON, Ohio - A coroner in Ohio says the father of a boy killed in a 2012 school shooting died of an accidental heroin overdose on the second anniversary of his son's death.
BOULDER, Colorado - The University of Colorado says it will ignore criticism from Colorado chapters of the American Association of University Professors after the university removed the philosophy department chair and suspended all graduate student admissions over complaints of sexual harassment and bullying in the department.
ARDMORE, Pennsylvania - Five years ago, Abri Bernstein's mother took her to see a grim documentary called "The Devil Came on Horseback," about war, famine, and genocide in a remote land 6,500 miles away, the troubled Darfur region of Sudan.
GRAND RAPIDS, Minnesota - An officer at a juvenile correctional facility in northern Minnesota is charged with sexually assaulting a teenage resident.
PORTLAND, Oregon - An employee at an Oregon rail yard fatally shot a co-worker, the authorities said Thursday.
BESSEMER, Alabama - Bessemer police say an inmate accused of stabbing another man and kidnapping his wife has been found dead in the Bessemer City Jail.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The attorney general says a court challenge should be dismissed over whether West Virginians can bring guns to city recreational facilities that hold school events.
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The assistant director of the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy announced Thursday he will retire after enduring months of criticism for making inappropriate sexual and threatening remarks to female cadets and colleagues.
SALINA, Kansas - Security has been beefed up at two Salina high schools after a staff member at one of the schools found a note indicating there would be violence there.
THESSALONIKI, Greece - Police in the northern Greek city of Thessaloniki arrested a PAOK fan accused of dumping a crate of fish on the visiting Olympiakos bench, in a stunt that delayed a tense Greek Cup semifinal for more than an hour.