- Waterloo schools using art to encourage end to violence Updated: May-27-15 2:20 pm
WATERLOO, Iowa - Twelve Waterloo schools are using art to help promote peace following a recent rash of shootings and stabbings.
- Latest on Wal-Mart shooting: Gunman had been at base 2 years Updated: May-27-15 1:57 pm
- Former LAPD officer wanted in killing appears in Texas court Updated: May-27-15 11:49 am
EL PASO, Texas - A fugitive former Los Angeles police officer charged with killing a man during an off-duty fight has appeared in a Texas courtroom after his arrest in northern Mexico, authorities said.
- Man gets prison for phoned-in threats to kill schoolchildren Updated: May-27-15 9:17 am
POTTSVILLE, Pennsylvania - A Pennsylvania man who phoned in threats to the county courthouse to kill schoolchildren so he could avoid paying court fines has been sentenced to prison.
- AP Interview: Afghanistan's first lady breaks taboos Updated: May-27-15 2:26 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghanistan's first lady has broken numerous conventions in a society that traditionally sequesters women behind closed doors - speaking out on issues such as violence against women, the rule of law and the power of religion. But perhaps Rula Ghani's biggest taboo breaker is simply being the country's first presidential spouse in decades to be seen and heard in public.
- Bill to allow concealed handguns at colleges gets big boost Updated: May-27-15 2:20 am
AUSTIN, Texas - Texas took a giant step closer to allowing concealed handguns in college classrooms late Tuesday, with House lawmakers giving their preliminary approval to a so-called "campus carry" measure, barely beating a midnight deadline.
- Ex-LAPD officer wanted in killing arrested in Mexico Updated: May-26-15 8:50 pm
MEXICO CITY - Police in northern Mexico have arrested a fugitive former Los Angeles police officer charged with killing a man during an off-duty fight in California.
- Off-duty Prince George's officer charged with murder Updated: May-26-15 5:47 pm
WALDORF, Maryland - An off-duty police officer from Prince George's County was charged with murder after police said a child custody dispute led to a fatal shooting at a fast-food restaurant in Maryland.
- Domestic violence bill not quite to governor's desk Updated: May-26-15 4:59 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The South Carolina Senate has given its approval to a compromise bill to create harsher penalties for domestic violence and ban some people charged with the crime from possessing guns.
- Mexican rights agency condemns violence, probes shootout Updated: May-26-15 4:16 pm
MEXICO CITY - Mexico's governmental human rights commission says it condemns violent incidents like a shootout between federal police and suspected criminals that left 42 suspects and one policeman dead.
- Backpacks found after bomb threat at San Diego-area school Updated: May-26-15 4:01 pm
SANTEE, California - Authorities say they found four suspicious backpacks at a suburban San Diego high school after a bomb threat prompted a campus lockdown.
- New Mexico prosecutors to seek charges against ex-officers Updated: May-26-15 2:53 pm
LAS CRUCES, New Mexico - New Mexico prosecutors announced Tuesday they will ask a grand jury to indict two former Las Cruces police officers recently fired following an investigation into an alleged incident of police brutality.
- Bears release Ray McDonald after arrest in California Updated: May-26-15 1:25 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The Chicago Bears released defensive end Ray McDonald following a domestic violence arrest in Northern California that police say stemmed from an assault on a woman who was holding a baby.
- Oklahoma Corrections Department details inmate deaths Updated: May-25-15 5:16 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Oklahoma Corrections Department has released findings on the death of an inmate who was fatally bludgeoned with a plastic food tray inside of a private prison.
- Officer injured during traffic stop to return to duty soon Updated: May-25-15 4:10 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A Wagner police officer knocked unconscious during a traffic stop on Friday says he hopes to return to duty within a week.
- 5 slain in 48-hour period in Baltimore as violence continues Updated: May-24-15 1:31 pm
BALTIMORE - Baltimore police are investigating more than a dozen shootings, five of them fatal, in a 48-hour period.
- New Kansas law on concealed guns concerns campuses Updated: May-24-15 1:17 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - Faculty and students have expressed concern about how a law allowing people to carry concealed guns into buildings on Kansas college campuses will affect the classroom.
- Crime caper kingpin Dashiell Hammett papers home at U of SC Updated: May-24-15 12:39 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A major collection of letters, photos and publications of the late crime fiction author Dashiell Hammett has been acquired by the University of South Carolina and will be made available to students and scholars within the coming year.
- Bullying blamed for suicides of 2 Tenn. students Updated: May-24-15 11:14 am
COPPERHILL, Tennessee - About 100 people gathered in a southeastern Tennessee town to release balloons in memory of two area students who committed suicide.
- Lawmakers call for new laws to protect schoolchildren Updated: May-24-15 10:18 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A bill that would make it a felony to use a computer to threaten students at a school is being considered by Rhode Island lawmakers.
- Trial set for ex-Bullhead City officer in sex assault case Updated: May-24-15 6:14 am
KINGMAN, Arizona - A former Bullhead City police sergeant will go to trial on sexual assault charges in December.
- Benfica celebrates title with sons of fan beaten by police Updated: May-23-15 6:06 pm
LISBON, Portugal - The two young sons of a Benfica fan who was beaten by a police officer helped the team celebrate its recently won Portuguese league title on Saturday.
- Newport News police subdue suspect after officer assaulted Updated: May-23-15 4:40 pm
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia - Police in Newport News say they used a Taser to subdue a man accused of stealing a truck and trying to choke an officer.
- Deputy cleared in shooting death of man with gun in pocket Updated: May-23-15 12:26 pm
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida - A sheriff's deputy has been cleared in the death of a man who pulled a gun from his pocket at a towing company.
- SJSU police officer cleared in fatal shooting Updated: May-22-15 7:41 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Prosecutors say that a San Jose State University police sergeant won't be criminally prosecuted for fatally shooting a 38-year-old man armed with a blade on the edge of campus last year.