- New Mexico House approves ethics commission plan Updated: Feb-09-16 11:56 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - New Mexico has moved closer than ever to creating an independent ethics commission to keep watch over the conduct of public officials in the wake of a campaign finance scandal that led the resignation and jailing of former Secretary of State Dianna Duran.
- President Obama visiting San Jose, Los Angeles Updated: Feb-09-16 11:35 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - President Barack Obama returns to California this week to attend Democratic fundraisers and make an appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."
- Ethics: Former House Speaker Harrell must pay $113,500 Updated: Feb-09-16 4:29 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A legislative panel ordered former South Carolina House Speaker Bobby Harrell on Tuesday to pay nearly $113,500 within six months.
- Kennebunk philanthropist Waterhouse dies at 95 Updated: Feb-09-16 3:32 pm
KENNEBUNK, Maine - Longtime Kennebunk philanthropist Geraldine Waterhouse has died at age 95.
- Former McAuliffe ally turns against him on gun compromise Updated: Feb-09-16 1:54 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - One of Democratic Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's biggest donors and political allies has turned against him with an advertisement campaign condemning him for a deal he struck with GOP leaders on gun policy.
- Former McAuliffe ally turns against him on gun compromise Updated: Feb-09-16 1:39 pm
RICHMOND, Virginia - One of Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe's biggest donors and political allies has turned against him with an advertisement campaign condemning him for a deal he struck with GOP leaders on gun policy.
- Chelsea Clinton to campaign for her mom in swing state Ohio Updated: Feb-09-16 3:46 am
CLEVELAND - Chelsea Clinton is set to campaign for her mother's presidential primary bid in Ohio just days before early voting begins in the battleground state.
- Union to pay $32,000 for campaign finance reporting errors Updated: Feb-08-16 6:35 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - State officials say a union representing thousands of public educators will pay nearly $32,000 after an attorney general's office lawsuit over campaign finance reporting deficiencies.
- Report: Kloppenburg leads Donald in cash Updated: Feb-08-16 6:33 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - New campaign finance reports show state Supreme Court hopeful JoAnne Kloppenburg is outpacing rival Joe Donald in fundraising.
- Group launches ad blitz in Arkansas' chief justice race Updated: Feb-08-16 5:26 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - A Washington-based group launched television ads Monday portraying Arkansas Supreme Court Justice Courtney Goodson as beholden to trial lawyers and criticizing the chief justice hopeful over gifts and campaign contributions she's received.
- TV ads hit airwaves ahead of Wisconsin Supreme Court primary Updated: Feb-08-16 4:31 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Television ads are hitting the airwaves as Wisconsin's Supreme Court race heads into its final week before a primary whittles the three-candidate field down to two contenders.
- Travel fund for Kasich security tops $350K Updated: Feb-08-16 3:51 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The cost of Ohio Gov. John Kasich's security detail has skyrocketed since the Republican governor began running for president last year.
- House Finance Chairman fined for misreported contributions Updated: Feb-08-16 3:43 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Board of Elections has fined House Finance Chairman Raymond Gallison for misreporting $18,850 in campaign contributions.
- Sen. Warren raises more than $2.7M in campaign cash in 2015 Updated: Feb-08-16 3:01 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren won't face re-election until 2018, but she's raising campaign cash at a strong clip.
- How Donald Trump, with pizazz and bluster, took on the NFL Updated: Feb-07-16 8:13 am
WASHINGTON - The New Jersey Generals are largely forgotten now - part of the long-defunct and once-upstart United States Football League.
- Review IDs safeguards against future fraud at Ohio treasury Updated: Feb-05-16 3:55 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Other individuals inside Ohio's treasury knew or should have known that a former deputy treasurer was committing fraud, according to the findings of an independent review that suggested a host of safeguards against future wrongdoing.
- Obama to appear on 'Ellen' next week Updated: Feb-05-16 2:33 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is returning to "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."
- North Carolina elections take shape with fundraising numbers Updated: Feb-04-16 6:24 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina's March 15 primary and the November general election are taking shape as candidates and party committees disclosed financial reports over the past week as state and federal filing deadlines came and went.
- Senate candidate's father, aide's family give to super PAC Updated: Feb-04-16 5:36 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - More than half of the money raised last year for Democratic U.S. Senate candidate P.G. Sittenfeld by a super political action committee came from his father and a campaign aide's family, according to federal reports.
- Democrats rename event, drop slave-owning presidents' names Updated: Feb-04-16 5:14 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - Connecticut Democrats have renamed an annual fundraising event after dropping the names of two presidents who owned slaves.
- Sestak reports $2.6M in cash heading into US Senate primary Updated: Feb-04-16 2:39 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrat Joe Sestak is heading into the final months of his U.S. Senate primary campaign with $2.6 million in the bank after raising $374,000 in the last three months of 2015.
- Harris pads fundraising edge in California Senate race Updated: Feb-03-16 9:49 pm
LOS ANGELES - California Attorney General Kamala Harris is gradually padding her fundraising edge in the state's U.S. Senate race.
- Rubio could see campaign fortunes rise from Iowa finish Updated: Feb-03-16 8:19 pm
WASHINGTON - Marco Rubio's strong third-place finish in Iowa could sound like a starting gun to the Republican Party's top donors.
- Juneau first gay woman to seek Montana congressional seat Updated: Feb-03-16 7:19 pm
HELENA, Montana - By some accounts, the sexual orientation of Montana's superintendent of schools, Denise Juneau, was an open secret.
- Arkansas Treasurer signs settlement in ethics violation Updated: Feb-03-16 6:01 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Arkansas Treasurer Dennis Milligan signed a settlement letter with the Arkansas Ethics Commission on Wednesday, agreeing to four findings of probable campaign reporting violations.