- GOP criticizes 'offensive' posts of NC elections appointee Updated: Jul-30-15 9:19 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Republican Party officials said Thursday they were unaware of racially tinged social media posts by a man appointed to a county elections board and are urging him to step down.
- LinkedIn 2Q caps rough week for social media stocks Updated: Jul-30-15 6:48 pm
NEW YORK - It hasn't been a good week for social media companies, not even for the usually reliable professional networking service LinkedIn Corp.
- Facebook ready to test giant drone for Internet service Updated: Jul-30-15 5:20 pm
MENLO PARK, California - Facebook says it will begin test flights later this year for a solar-powered drone with a wingspan as big as a Boeing 737, in the next stage of its campaign to deliver Internet connectivity to remote parts of the world.
- Brady fights on, files lawsuit to stop suspension Updated: Jul-29-15 10:04 pm
FOXBOROUGH, Massachusetts - Tom Brady took the fight over his "Deflategate" suspension to social media and federal court Wednesday, and New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft backed the three-time Super Bowl MVP, saying "I was wrong to put my faith in the league."
- Facebook 2Q results soar as user base, mobile ads grow Updated: Jul-29-15 6:59 pm
NEW YORK - Facebook is attracting advertising dollars to where its users are - on mobile devices.
- Feds: New York man tried to support Islamic State group Updated: Jul-29-15 6:17 pm
BUFFALO, New York - A western New York man traveled overseas in a bid to join the Islamic State group after buying night-vision goggles, a machete and body armor and pledging his loyalty to the group on Twitter, federal authorities said Wednesday after arresting him on a charge of attempting to provide material support to a designated terrorist organization.
- Mia Farrow faces Twitter backlash for lion dentist's address Updated: Jul-29-15 4:26 pm
NEW YORK - Mia Farrow took some Twitter heat Wednesday for joining other angry social media posters and blasting out the business address of the dentist who killed the beloved lion Cecil in Zimbabwe.
- Twitter stock tumbles as user growth stalls Updated: Jul-29-15 3:11 pm
NEW YORK - Tepid user growth and ongoing uncertainty about its leadership dragged Twitter's stock to its lowest level in over a year Wednesday, even though the short-messaging service reported sharply quarterly higher revenue.
- VA doctor regrets post telling gun advocate to 'off' himself Updated: Jul-28-15 6:41 pm
PHILADELPHIA - A Department of Veterans Affairs psychiatrist said Tuesday he regrets a Facebook post suggesting that a gun-rights supporter "off" himself.
- Twitter 2Q revenue grows sharply but user growth stays slow Updated: Jul-28-15 6:34 pm
NEW YORK - Twitter failed to add users at a quick enough pace for investors in the second quarter even as revenue grew sharply, feeding concerns about whether it can ever become a mass-market service like Facebook or Google.
- Senator objects to anti-terrorism rules for online sites Updated: Jul-28-15 3:08 pm
WASHINGTON - Sen. Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat and skeptic of broad government surveillance, objected Tuesday to a bill that would have required social media and online sites like Google, Yahoo, Twitter and Facebook to alert federal authorities of any terrorist activity.
- Bobby Brown 'completely numb' after death of daughter Updated: Jul-28-15 12:45 am
ATLANTA - R&B singer Bobby Brown said Monday that his daughter, Bobbi Kristina Brown, was "an angel" and that the family must find a way to honor her memory.
- Hulk Hogan takes to Twitter after WWE cuts ties Updated: Jul-27-15 6:33 pm
NEW YORK - Hulk Hogan is taking to Twitter in the aftermath of World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. cutting ties with him amid a report that the wrestling star used racial slurs in a conversation captured on a sex tape.
- GOP official juxtaposes images of KKK, Hillary Clinton Updated: Jul-27-15 6:04 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The chairman of the North Carolina Republican party has posted Twitter photos juxtaposing images of Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and the Ku Klux Klan.
- Bobbi Kristina Brown, daughter of Whitney Houston, has died Updated: Jul-27-15 1:06 am
DULUTH, Georgia - The brief, chaotic life of Bobbi Kristina Brown was never really her own.
- Shelton, Lambert tweet playfully after announcing divorce Updated: Jul-24-15 8:59 pm
LOS ANGELES - Just because Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert are getting divorced doesn't mean they can't have some fun on social media.
- Chris Brown leaves Philippines after ordeal over legal issue Updated: Jul-24-15 8:58 pm
MANILA, Philippines - Chris Brown finally left the Philippines and performed at a night club in Macau, but not without last-minute complications at the end of a three-day ordeal.
- Rocker Vince Neil drops lawsuit over social media passwords Updated: Jul-24-15 5:53 pm
LAS VEGAS - Motley Crue frontman Vince Neil got back his social media passwords after suing a consultant he hired to manage the accounts and accusing her of posting online without his consent, a lawyer for the rocker said Friday.
- Health system wants opposing attorneys muzzled online Updated: Jul-24-15 4:19 am
PASCAGOULA, Mississippi - Attorneys for the Singing River Health System has asked a judge to stop the opposing attorneys from using social media to make certain statements about the case involving the health system's failing pension plan.
- Swift apologizes to Minaj about tweet over VMA nominations Updated: Jul-23-15 1:10 pm
NEW YORK - Taylor Swift has apologized to Nicki Minaj for calling her out on Twitter regarding her MTV Video Music Awards nominations.
- Half-naked 'Spartans' attract attention of Beijing police Updated: Jul-23-15 7:23 am
BEIJING - A salad store paraded dozens of half-naked Western men dressed as Spartans through China's capital as a publicity stunt, causing a stir and drawing a crackdown by police who were photographed restraining some of them on the ground.
- China returns passport to Ai Weiwei, who plans London trip Updated: Jul-22-15 11:25 pm
BEIJING - Artist and government critic Ai Weiwei has gotten his passport back four years after it was confiscated by Chinese authorities and plans to visit Germany for a medical checkup and to see his young son.
- Prosecutors: Suspects targeted Italian base with US presence Updated: Jul-22-15 9:38 am
MILAN - Two terror suspects arrested Wednesday who claimed allegiance to the Islamic State group had among their targets an Italian military base near the northern city of Brescia that has a U.S. military presence, prosecutors said.
- Turkey briefly blocks access to Twitter over bombing images Updated: Jul-22-15 9:38 am
ISTANBUL - Turkey briefly blocked access to Twitter on Wednesday to prevent images of Monday's deadly bombing from being broadcast and to stop Twitter users from calling for protests against the government, which they blamed for not doing enough to prevent the attack, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.
- AP News Guide to case of woman found hanged in Texas jail Updated: Jul-21-15 9:22 pm
HEMPSTEAD, Texas - Dashboard video from a trooper's patrol car shows the traffic stop that led to the arrest of Sandra Bland, a Chicago-area woman found dead in a Texas jail last week.