- Jesuit priest, peace activist Daniel Berrigan dies at 94 Updated: Apr-30-16 10:01 pm
NEW YORK - The Rev. Daniel Berrigan, a Roman Catholic priest and peace activist who was imprisoned for burning draft files in a protest against the Vietnam War, died Saturday. He was 94.
- Hanford officials try to learn if 2nd tanks is leaking Updated: Apr-27-16 2:28 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - A second giant tank containing radioactive waste from the production of plutonium for nuclear weapons may be leaking on the sprawling Hanford Nuclear Reservation in Washington state.
- UN chief urges nuclear test ban treaty ratification Updated: Apr-27-16 11:31 am
VIENNA - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has urged the U.S. and seven other nations to ratify the treaty banning nuclear weapons testing so that the agreement can take effect.
- Amid outside pressure, N. Korea sets date for key convention Updated: Apr-27-16 6:12 am
SEOUL, South Korea - Facing mounting international pressure over its nuclear and missile ambitions, North Korea has set a date for its biggest political convention in decades next week that is expected to bolster young dictator Kim Jong Un's grip on power.
- Federal government: Dismiss nuke fuel project lawsuit Updated: Apr-26-16 2:35 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's lawsuit calling for million-dollar fines and plutonium removal should be dismissed because the state is wrongly interpreting the laws governing a long-delayed nuclear fuel project, the U.S. Energy Department said in court documents.
- Obama dismisses NKorea proposal on halting nuke tests Updated: Apr-24-16 2:15 pm
NEW YORK - A day after North Korea's foreign minister told The Associated Press that his country is ready to halt its nuclear tests if the United States suspends its annual military exercises with South Korea, President Barack Obama said Sunday that Washington isn't taking the proposal seriously and Pyongyang would "have to do better than that."
- Hanford officials prepare to pump nuke waste back into tank Updated: Apr-19-16 2:36 pm
SPOKANE, Washington - Hanford Nuclear Reservation officials prepared Tuesday to pump thousands of gallons of leaked radioactive waste back into a 46-year-old storage tank that contains toxic leftovers from the production of plutonium for nuclear weapons in Washington state.
- South Korea's president to visit Iran for 1st summit talks Updated: Apr-18-16 5:21 am
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's president is to visit Iran early next month for what would be the two countries' first summit talks, her office said Monday.
- US researchers see more signs NKorea is producing plutonium Updated: Apr-15-16 4:30 pm
WASHINGTON - As North Korea intensifies testing of its ballistic missile technology, a U.S. website said Friday it also sees further signs from satellite imagery that North Korea is looking to produce more plutonium for nuclear weapons.
- North Korea resurrects Abraham Lincoln to criticize Obama Updated: Apr-12-16 1:16 am
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea has tried warnings of nuclear attack and racist diatribes to criticize U.S. President Barack Obama. Now it's turning to Abraham Lincoln.
- Kerry makes gut-wrenching visit to Hiroshima site of A-bomb Updated: Apr-11-16 7:14 am
HIROSHIMA, Japan - An emotional John Kerry said Hiroshima's horrible history should teach humanity to avoid conflict and strive to eradicate nuclear weapons as he became the first U.S. secretary of state to tread upon the ground of the world's first atomic bombing.
- G-7 foreign ministers push nuclear disarmament in Hiroshima Updated: Apr-11-16 6:53 am
HIROSHIMA, Japan - Foreign ministers from the Group of Seven industrialized countries, meeting Monday in the atomic-bombed Japanese city of Hiroshima, called for a renewed push for flagging nuclear disarmament efforts as they wrestled with some of the intractable global problems facing their nations.
- N. Korea says it successfully tests long-range rocket engine Updated: Apr-08-16 11:45 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea said Saturday it has successfully tested a new intercontinental ballistic rocket engine that will give it the ability to stage nuclear strikes on the United States.
- Carter: US missile defense 'going to happen' in SKorea Updated: Apr-08-16 7:26 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Friday that the proposed placement of a U.S. missile defense system in South Korea is "going to happen" despite Chinese opposition.
- Kerry's visit to Hiroshima grabbing spotlight at G-7 meeting Updated: Apr-08-16 9:21 am
TOKYO - Next week, Secretary of State John Kerry will become the highest-ranking American government official to visit Hiroshima, where 140,000 Japanese died from the first of two atomic bombs dropped by the U.S. in the closing days of World War II more than 70 years ago.
- China restricts trade with North Korea over nuclear tests Updated: Apr-05-16 11:13 pm
BEIJING - China has banned most imports of North Korean coal and iron ore, the country's main exports, in a significant increase in pressure on the North under U.N. sanctions against its nuclear and missile tests.
- US website: Steam seen at North Korea nuke reprocessing lab Updated: Apr-04-16 4:50 pm
WASHINGTON - Satellite imagery indicates activity at a North Korean laboratory that could separate plutonium for nuclear weapons, a U.S. website that monitors sensitive sites in the isolated country said Monday.
- Obama, leaders urge more action on nuclear security, terror Updated: Apr-01-16 7:32 pm
WASHINGTON - World leaders declared progress Friday in safeguarding nuclear materials sought by terrorists and wayward nations, even as President Barack Obama acknowledged the task was far from finished.
- The Latest: Obama voices concern over crackdowns in Turkey Updated: Apr-01-16 7:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on President Barack Obama's remarks at a press conference Friday at the conclusion of a nuclear security summit.
- The Latest: Obama says US-Russia nuke reductions will go on Updated: Apr-01-16 7:01 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the global nuclear security summit that President Barack Obama is hosting in Washington (all times local):