- Bill would require California doctors to check drug database Updated: May-28-15 6:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California doctors would be required to check a statewide database before prescribing narcotics under a bill moving through the state Legislature.
- Gov. Bobby Jindal says he'd sign medical marijuana bill Updated: May-28-15 4:36 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. Bobby Jindal says he has "no concerns" about a medical marijuana bill nearing final legislative passage and would sign it into law if it reaches his desk.
- Bill requires Connecticut labs to conduct hair follicle test Updated: May-28-15 3:30 pm
HARTFORD, Connecticut - A bill that would require clinical laboratories in Connecticut to conduct hair follicle drug tests ordered by medical personnel is moving to Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's desk.
- Oregon Senate backs new regulations for medical marijuana Updated: May-28-15 3:26 am
SALEM, Oregon - The state Senate voted Wednesday to impose stricter regulations on Oregon's medical marijuana program as lawmakers get ready for the legalization of pot for recreational use.
- AARP survey: Many generic medicine prices have risen sharply Updated: May-28-15 12:04 am
TRENTON, New Jersey - Reversing a long-term trend, prices for more than one in four generic medicines widely used by older Americans increased in 2013, some very sharply, according to a survey by AARP.
- Don't delay: Study confirms early treatment is best for HIV Updated: May-27-15 8:24 pm
WASHINGTON - A major international study says HIV patients shouldn't delay in seeking treatment: Starting medication soon after diagnosis helps keep people healthy longer.
- US high court: California county drug disposal law stands Updated: May-27-15 6:35 pm
OAKLAND, California - The U.S. Supreme Court is letting a Northern California county's drug disposal law stand, paving the way for similar ordinances elsewhere.
- Senate-backed medical marijuana bill advancing in House Updated: May-27-15 6:19 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Medical marijuana advocates have done this year what they failed to do in the past: push to the brink of final passage a bill that could finally make good on Louisiana's 1991 medicinal pot law.
- Florida: Pot strain likely available later this year Updated: May-27-15 6:12 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Florida officials are predicting that a strain of low-potency marijuana should finally be available for medical purposes later this year.
- Nebraska senators scrap medical marijuana for the year Updated: May-27-15 3:44 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - The sponsor of a proposal to legalize medical marijuana in Nebraska pulled the bill from the Legislature's agenda on Wednesday, citing a flurry of other divisive votes senators have had to defend recently - including a repeal of the death penalty.
- Zogenix says former obesity drug reduced seizures in study Updated: May-27-15 2:43 pm
NEW YORK - Drugmaker Zogenix said Wednesday that a drug once used to fight obesity before it was taken off the market may help treat a rare disease that causes severe seizures in young children.
- Arizona court to review ruling on marijuana, DUI immunity Updated: May-27-15 2:24 pm
PHOENIX - The Arizona Supreme Court will review a lower court's ruling that said drivers who have medical marijuana cards can still be prosecuted under laws against driving under the influence while having marijuana in their system.
- Grand Forks mayor undergoes triple-bypass heart surgery Updated: May-27-15 12:20 pm
GRAND FORKS, North Dakota - Grand Forks Mayor Michael Brown says he'll continue his mayoral duties as he recovers from open-heart surgery, though he's taken a leave of absence from his duties as a doctor with Altru Health.
- California doctors to treat dying patients with ecstasy drug Updated: May-27-15 10:51 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The Federal Drug Administration is allowing a team of San Francisco Bay Area psychotherapists to prescribe ecstasy to treat dying patients.
- Class forgoes trip to give principal money to treat cancer Updated: May-27-15 9:07 am
BETHLEHEM, New Hampshire - The graduating class at a New Hampshire high school is giving the money raised for its class trip to the school's principal, who has been diagnosed with cancer.
- 2 inmates sue state over hepatitis C treatment Updated: May-27-15 7:20 am
MINNEAPOLIS - Two prisoners who have hepatitis C are suing the Minnesota Department of Corrections because they want access to expensive new drug treatments.
- Marijuana facility in south-central Illinois hits snag Updated: May-27-15 4:07 am
CHICAGO - Plans to build a medical marijuana facility in the south-central Illinois city of Litchfield have run into obstacles.
- Seattle to shutter dozens of medical marijuana dispensaries Updated: May-26-15 7:45 pm
SEATTLE - With Washington state overhauling its medical marijuana law, Seattle Mayor Ed Murray says the city is planning to shutter dozens of dispensaries.
- Ballot proposals for 2016 election include medical marijuana Updated: May-26-15 4:51 pm
SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota - A South Dakota medical marijuana supporter hopes to begin gathering signatures within a month to put a proposal on the 2016 ballot to allow people with serious medical conditions to use pot.
- School: No more vaginal procedures for ultrasound training Updated: May-26-15 4:41 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - A Florida community college says it will no longer have ultrasound technician students practice an invasive vaginal procedure on each other.
- Cancer diagnosis leads to plans for brewery, theater Updated: May-26-15 3:51 pm
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - A cancer diagnosis has prompted a couple to move ahead on plans to open a brewery and improvisational theater in Ann Arbor, drawing the name for the planned establishment from a tough day when everything felt pointless.
- Study peeks into healthy brains to hunt Alzheimer's culprit Updated: May-26-15 1:26 pm
WASHINGTON - Sticky plaque gets the most attention, but now healthy seniors at risk of Alzheimer's are letting scientists peek into their brains to see if another culprit is lurking.
- Dad: Youngster shot on bicycle recovering after surgery Updated: May-25-15 3:49 pm
BOSTON - The father of a Brockton youngster who was shot while riding his bicycle says his son has undergone surgery and is recovering.
- Shiprock boy with genetic condition gets liver transplant Updated: May-25-15 3:01 pm
FARMINGTON, New Mexico - A 2-year-old Shiprock boy who suffers from a rare genetic condition recently received a liver transplant in California.
- Big changes coming to Liquor Control Board Updated: May-25-15 2:23 pm
OLYMPIA, Washington - Big changes are coming to the state Liquor Control Board, including a name change.