- Excise tax on medical marijuana sales proposed in California Updated: Feb-10-16 4:30 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A state senator from Northern California has introduced a bill that would impose a 15 percent tax on retail sales of medical marijuana.
- Ohio's senators offer separate anti-heroin bills Updated: Feb-10-16 3:45 pm
CINCINNATI - Ohio's Democratic senator on Wednesday offered his own plan for battling the deadly drug overdose epidemic affecting many states, including his own.
- Colorado marijuana sales total close to $1 billion in 2015 Updated: Feb-10-16 12:03 am
DENVER - New state data shows that Colorado marijuana businesses sold nearly $1 billion in recreational and medical cannabis last year.
- Australia commits to legal growing of medicinal marijuana Updated: Feb-09-16 11:20 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian lawmakers committed on Wednesday to legalize the growing of marijuana for medical use within a part of the world renowned for zero-tolerance and harsh penalties for illegal drugs.
- Kansas Senate advances bill to decrease Medicaid drug costs Updated: Feb-09-16 6:36 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A bill designed to cut Kansas' costs in providing prescription drugs for poor and disabled residents has received first-round approval in the state Senate.
- Some Republicans announce support for medical marijuana bill Updated: Feb-09-16 6:02 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Some Republican House lawmakers announced their support Tuesday for new legislation that would create a system for manufacturing, distributing and possessing some forms of medical marijuana in Iowa, though it's unclear what type of backing the bill will get from party leaders.
- FDA panel backs lower-cost version of J&J's top-selling drug Updated: Feb-09-16 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal health advisers on Tuesday endorsed a lower-cost version of Johnson & Johnson's blockbuster Remicade, a pricey biotech medicine used to treat a number of inflammatory diseases.
- Right-to-die legislation renews debate in Albany Updated: Feb-09-16 4:59 pm
ALBANY, New York - Two Assembly members and other advocates of letting the terminally ill end their lives said Tuesday their proposed law would limit suffering and has safeguards to prevent mistakes and abuse.
- Falcons owner Blank to have surgery for prostate cancer Updated: Feb-09-16 4:18 pm
ATLANTA - Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank is planning surgery for what he says is a treatable form of prostate cancer.
- Gun, drug, car deaths loom large in US longevity gap: Study Updated: Feb-09-16 1:36 pm
CHICAGO - Guns, drugs and cars contribute substantially to the life-expectancy gap between the United States and other developed nations, a study found.
- Martinsburg Council to vote on definition of public building Updated: Feb-09-16 1:10 pm
MARTINSBURG, West Virginia - Martinsburg City Council members are expected to cast the final vote on an amendment to the city's zoning ordinance that would define public buildings in a way that would prevent the Berkley County Council from opening a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center in the city.
- Bill would give unused medication donations to those in need Updated: Feb-09-16 11:51 am
SALT LAKE CITY - A Utah lawmaker is sponsoring a bill that would donate unused prescription drugs to people in need.
- CVS meets 4Q profit forecasts, reaffirms 2016 outlook Updated: Feb-09-16 11:47 am
Acquisitions helped CVS Health's fourth-quarter profit climb 13 percent, and leaders of the drugstore operator and pharmacy benefits manager said Tuesday that they expect to reap more gains from their deal making later this year.
- 10 CSI students barred from graduating due to accreditation Updated: Feb-09-16 9:52 am
TWIN FALLS, Idaho - A group of College of Southern Idaho students are stuck in limbo after completing their physical therapist assistant classes, but being barred from graduating due to accreditation problems.
- Obama asking Congress for emergency funding to combat Zika Updated: Feb-08-16 10:40 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is asking Congress for more than $1.8 billion in emergency funding to fight the Zika virus and the mosquitoes that spread it here and abroad, but says "there shouldn't be a panic on this."
- Facebook restores page for medical marijuana dispensary Updated: Feb-08-16 6:41 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - Facebook has restored the business page of one of three New Jersey medical marijuana dispensaries it shut down last week for violating the social media company's policy against promoting the sale of drugs.
- Senate leader: Utah medical pot plan may not be dead Updated: Feb-08-16 3:14 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The president of the Utah state Senate says a bill allowing the medical use of edible pot products may not be dead on arrival just because the Mormon church opposes it.
- Johns Hopkins approved for HIV-positive organ transplants Updated: Feb-08-16 2:45 pm
BALTIMORE - Johns Hopkins Medicine has recently received approval to perform organ transplants between HIV-positive donors and recipients.
- Correction: Medical Marijuana-Woody Harrelson story Updated: Feb-08-16 1:57 pm
HONOLULU - In a story Feb. 5 about actor Woody Harrelson applying for a medical marijuana license in Hawaii, The Associated Press reported erroneously the name of another business seeking a medical marijuana dispensary license. It is Blue Planet Healing, not Blue Planet Foundation.
- State says painkiller prescriptions continue to fall in Ohio Updated: Feb-08-16 1:48 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Painkiller prescribing continues to fall in Ohio as health and law enforcement authorities battle a deadly addictions epidemic, according to data released by the state Monday.
- Gallup senator's detox center proposal goes before committee Updated: Feb-08-16 8:13 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - A proposal to fund detox and substance abuse treatment centers for the homeless with money from the state's liquor excise tax is scheduled to go before the state Senate Corporations and Transportation Committee on Monday.
- Former Seattle IRS agent to face trial on bribery charge Updated: Feb-07-16 2:38 pm
SEATTLE - A former IRS agent in Seattle is set to face trial this week on accusations that he solicited and received a $20,000 bribe from a medical marijuana dispensary.
- 4th patient infected during mold outbreak at hospital dies Updated: Feb-07-16 2:00 pm
PITTSBURGH - A fourth transplant patient who contracted a fungal infection during a mold outbreak at a western Pennsylvania hospital has died, officials said Sunday.
- Kidney from boss means life for Burlington woman Updated: Feb-07-16 10:27 am
WEST BURLINGTON, Iowa - Despite a failing kidney that drained her energy, stiffened her joints and forced her on dialysis, Burlington resident Samantha Ripple never asked anyone for a kidney transplant.
- Mormon church comes out against Utah medical marijuana bill Updated: Feb-06-16 11:11 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The Mormon church has come out against a Utah bill that would allow the medical use of edible pot products, a position that could be a serious blow to one of two medical marijuana proposals before state lawmakers.