- Florida firm to pursue disputed sunken gold Updated: Mar-06-14 5:24 pm
- Record fine proposed for coal mining operations Updated: Mar-06-14 1:27 am
- 2 men guilty in sale of trade secrets to China Updated: Mar-05-14 7:22 pm
- Wis. committee OKs sand mine bill opposed by towns Updated: Mar-05-14 4:37 pm
- Canadian firm says Mexican mine attacked, 1 dead Updated: Mar-05-14 4:31 pm
- Judge approves W.Va. plant explosion settlement Updated: Mar-05-14 11:40 am
- Obama wildfire proposal could help timber industry Updated: Mar-05-14 10:56 am
- Fire damages plant in Caddo Parish Updated: Mar-05-14 9:11 am
- Sierra foothills gold mine shuts down temporarily Updated: Mar-04-14 8:34 pm
- California gold discovery spurs rush of theories Updated: Mar-04-14 8:22 pm
- Mexico cracks down on illegal iron ore mining Updated: Mar-04-14 3:40 pm
- W. Va. spill company hires firm to keep its data Updated: Mar-04-14 2:15 pm
- Agency-by-agency summary of Obama budget Updated: Mar-04-14 11:47 am
- 2 Indiana packaging companies to merge Updated: Mar-04-14 7:31 am
- New owners for Tacoma, Wash., paper mill Updated: Mar-03-14 10:29 pm
- 2 coal miners rescued in Schuylkill County Updated: Mar-03-14 7:58 pm
- US manufacturing boosted by orders and stockpiles Updated: Mar-03-14 12:12 pm
- Shares of Russian companies traded in US plummet Updated: Mar-03-14 11:52 am
- Va.'s coal-mining history to get an upgrade Updated: Mar-03-14 2:08 am
- Forest Service retirees oppose Idaho land swap Updated: Mar-02-14 4:52 pm
- Rural West Virginians understand bad water Updated: Mar-01-14 2:22 pm
- At heart of Ukraine drama, a tale of two countries Updated: Mar-01-14 4:43 am
- Mine company president charged in Spain Updated: Feb-28-14 8:59 pm
- Operator of proposed SD uranium mine to merge Updated: Feb-28-14 7:29 pm
- USDA adds foods to moms and kids food program Updated: Feb-28-14 12:08 pm
CINCINNATI - Deep-sea explorers can now recover the remaining gold from a ship that sank off the South Carolina coast in 1857 and more recently has been embroiled in legal fights involving a fugitive treasure hunter, an Ohio judge has ruled in a court order obtained by The Associated Press on Thursday.
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is proposing a record fine for thousands of water pollution violations by coal mine operators in five Appalachian states.
SAN FRANCISCO - Two men were convicted Wednesday of stealing an American company's secret recipe for making a chemical used to whiten products from cars to the middle of Oreo cookies and selling it to a competitor controlled by the Chinese government.
MADISON, Wisconsin - The state Senate's mining committee approved a Republican bill Wednesday that would prohibit local governments from creating new sand mine regulations, but it's unclear whether the measure will go any further.
MEXICO CITY - A Canadian mining company said Wednesday that an illegal miner was killed in a clash with guards at the firm's silver mine in central Mexico.
NEW CUMBERLAND, West Virginia - A judge has approved a settlement that resolves federal workplace and environmental civil charges at a plant in Hancock County where an explosion killed three workers in 2010.
APPLETON, Wisconsin - President Barack Obama has proposed using disaster funds to help fight wildfires to avoid draining forestry budgets, a move that could help boost Wisconsin's timber industry.
BLANCHARD, Louisiana - Officials are investigating the cause of an early morning fire at the UOP Honeywell Plant in Caddo Parish north of Blanchard.
SUTTER CREEK, California - An attempt to unearth new riches from some of the Gold Rush era's most productive mines has stalled, with the owners announcing Tuesday that they must spend more than $1 million before work can resume.
LOS ANGELES - Word last week that a Northern California couple found $10 million in gold coins while walking their dog has set off a Gold Rush of theories over who left behind all that loot.
MEXICO CITY - Hundreds of Mexican police, soldiers and government inspectors raided 11 iron ore yards at one of the country's largest seaports, following revelations that drug cartels had been exporting ore to China.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The West Virginia company at the center of a January chemical spill is hiring experts to preserve emails and phone records for ongoing investigations.
Agency: Health and Human Services
ELKHART, Indiana - An Elkhart-based packaging company says it has acquired a similar business based in Marion.
TACOMA, Washington - The Simpson Tacoma Kraft paper mill in Tacoma, Washington, is being purchased by a Norcross, Georgia-based company for $343 million.
MINERSVILLE, Pennsylvania - Two miners have been rescued after part of a roof at an eastern Pennsylvania coal mine fell on them.
WASHINGTON - U.S. manufacturing expanded more quickly last month as companies received more orders and boosted their stockpiles.
NEW YORK - Shares of Russian companies traded in the U.S. are plummeted Monday as the country's military forces streamed into Ukraine, raising the possibility of sanctions by Western governments.
MIDLOTHIAN, Virginia - A piece of Virginia's coal-mining history will undergo a makeover this spring.
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - A group of about two dozen retired U.S. Forest Service employees has sent a letter to the U.S. Senate and Natural Resources Committee decrying a proposed northern Idaho land exchange.
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - The chemical spill in January that contaminated drinking water for 300,000 West Virginians around Charleston has brought national attention to issues of water safety. But many rural West Virginians outside the reach of the spill have been living without tap water for drinking for months - or even years.
DONETSK, Ukraine - In the afternoon, when the shift ends at the coal mine and the miners walk out into the cold and past the old concrete statue of Lenin, they often head to a tiny corner store a block away. There they'll stand in the parking lot for a while, drinking little bottles of the vodka called "Truthful."
MILWAUKEE - The president of the company looking to open an iron ore mine in northern Wisconsin faces charges in Spain for allegedly violating environmental laws at a Spanish mine he previously managed.
SPEARFISH, South Dakota - The company that would operate a proposed uranium mine in southwest South Dakota has agreed to merge with a Hong Kong-based firm.
WASHINGTON - Pregnant women and mothers who get federal assistance with their grocery bills will now be able to buy more whole-grain foods, yogurt, fish, fruits and vegetables.