- Turkey onslaught on Kurds, after IS attack, fuels anger Updated: Jul-30-15 3:31 pm
DIYARBAKIR, Turkey - Just when it seemed Turkey was getting serious about the fight against IS, it has turned its military focus to pounding its old foe: the Kurdish rebels.
- Kurdish rebels attack Turkish security forces, killing 5 Updated: Jul-30-15 6:46 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Kurdish rebels have attacked Turkish security forces in two separate assaults in southeast Turkey, killing five people, officials said. One rebel was also killed.
- Bangladesh upholds opposition leader's death sentence Updated: Jul-29-15 2:58 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Bangladesh's Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the death sentence for an influential opposition leader and an aide to a former prime minister for his role in mass killings during the country's independence war against Pakistan in 1971.
- 2 fallen Marines added to military school's Hall of Heroes Updated: Jul-28-15 12:40 pm
FORT MEADE, Maryland - Two Marines who were killed while on a relief mission in Nepal have been inducted into the Defense Information School's Hall of Heroes.
- The Latest: Saudi King voices support for Turkey's actions Updated: Jul-28-15 10:36 am
BRUSSELS - The Latest from NATO meeting on Islamic State group and related developments (all times local):
- Remains of 36 unidentified Marines from WWII battle return Updated: Jul-27-15 1:55 am
JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii - The military and a private organization have brought home the remains of 36 Marines killed in one of World War II's bloodiest battles.
- Hometown wake for Massachusetts marine killed in Tennessee Updated: Jul-26-15 4:35 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts - People in his hometown paid their respects on Sunday to a Massachusetts Marine killed by a gunman who attacked a military facility in Tennessee two weeks ago.
- Wisconsin town says goodbye to Marine slain in Tennessee Updated: Jul-25-15 6:49 pm
GRANTSBURG, Wisconsin - A small Wisconsin town said goodbye on Saturday to a Marine killed in the recent attack on a Navy-Marine reserve center in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Ala woman marks 10 years since husband's death in Iraq Updated: Jul-23-15 2:11 pm
OPELIKA, Alabama - On what would have been her husband's 32nd birthday, Janina Taylor turned off of U.S. 280 and wound down Lee Road 249. She turned left into the lot at St. Mark's Christian Episcopal Church in Motts and parked her silver minivan. Taylor's two oldest children, 13-year-old Xavie'r and 10-year-old Aaliyah, raced up the hill to a small cemetery, stopping when they spotted an etched football and a nod to the Green Bay Packers on one stone.
- News briefs from around Tennessee at 1:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Jul-18-15 3:04 am
CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee - The latest on the Chattanooga shootings at two military facilities (all times local):
- Freeway honoring soldier won't be renamed after MLB player Updated: Jul-15-15 7:06 pm
PHOENIX - Arizona has scrapped a move to temporarily rebrand a freeway recognizing soon-to-be baseball Hall of Famer Randy Johnson, keeping in place the existing name that honors a soldier who died in the Iraq War in 2003.
- UN report: 15,000 civilians killed in Iraq in 16 months Updated: Jul-13-15 10:40 pm
- Burundi military: 31 suspected rebels killed in fighting Updated: Jul-13-15 12:35 pm
BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Burundi's army killed 31 suspected rebels and captured 170 others in fighting in the country's north, a military spokesman said on Monday.
- Natick street named to honor commander killed in Afghanistan Updated: Jul-10-15 5:14 pm
NATICK, Massachusetts - A street leading to a U.S. Army base in Natick has been renamed to honor a military commander killed in Afghanistan.
- Vicksburg military park: Little impact from flag proposal Updated: Jul-09-15 7:02 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Congress is arguing about a proposal to ban Confederate flags on rebel graves in cemeteries run by the National Park Service, but the outcome will have little effect on Mississippi's only Park Service cemetery.
- UN: civilian death toll in Yemen conflict tops 1,500 Updated: Jul-07-15 8:20 am
BERLIN - The United Nations' human rights office says the number of civilians killed in three months of violence in Yemen has risen above 1,500.
- Hard-hit Gaza neighborhood still trying to recover from war Updated: Jul-06-15 2:37 am
SHIJAIYAH, Gaza Strip - After weeks of sharing cramped quarters with relatives during last year's war between Hamas and Israel, 39-year-old Mohammed al-Selek thought nothing of it when he heard the incoming roar of two mortar shells. But once a suffocating cloud of acrid smoke filled the stairwell, his heart sank - the family's home had been struck by Israeli fire.
- UN rights body backs call for accountability in Gaza war Updated: Jul-03-15 4:07 pm
BERLIN - The U.N.'s top human rights body backed calls Friday for accountability in last year's conflict in Gaza, in which hundreds of Palestinian civilians and six Israeli civilians were killed.
- Monument to be dedicated to Marine who died in Persian Gulf Updated: Jul-03-15 11:16 am
SELLERSBURG, Indiana - Relatives of a southern Indiana Marine who died while supporting military operations against the Islamic State group will unveil a monument honoring him this weekend.
- A year after Gaza war, southern Israel slowly recovers Updated: Jul-03-15 3:50 am
NIRIM, Israel - On the last day of last summer's Israel-Hamas war, Gadi Yarkoni and two of his closest friends were fixing an electricity line next to the cowshed in their kibbutz in southern Israel that had been damaged by rocket fire from neighboring Gaza.
- Marine killed in World War II is buried in Massachusetts Updated: Jul-02-15 7:52 pm
WESTFIELD, Massachusetts - A Marine killed in World War II in the Pacific battle of Tarawa has been buried in his Massachusetts hometown.
- Judge awards $134M in suit over death, injury of soldiers Updated: Jul-02-15 4:46 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - A federal judge in Utah has awarded $134.2 million to an American solider injured in Afghanistan and the widow of another soldier killed there in a lawsuit filed against a Canadian man who pleaded guilty in a grenade attack involving the two soldiers when he was 15.
- The Latest: Israel PM offers condolences over Sinai attacks Updated: Jul-02-15 11:38 am
CAIRO - The latest on the aftermath of a coordinated militant assault on Egyptian security forces in the restive northern Sinai that killed dozens of troops and set off the bloodiest fighting in the peninsula in decades (all times local).
- Remains of Marines who died in WWII found in central Pacific Updated: Jul-01-15 9:26 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The remains of a former Santa Fe resident - long presumed to be lost at sea - have been found in the central Pacific and will soon be returned to his family.
- The Latest: Attack on NATO convoy in Afghanistan kills 2 Updated: Jun-30-15 11:07 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - The latest news on a suicide attack in the Afghan capital targeting a NATO convoy on the Kabul airport road, near the U.S. Embassy.