- Indian and Pakistani border guards trade gunfire, 9 killed Updated: Aug-28-15 10:16 am
ISLAMABAD - Indian and Pakistani border guards traded gunfire in the divided region of Kashmir, leaving nine civilians dead and another 63 wounded, authorities said Friday.
- EXCHANGE: Joliet park renamed for fallen soldier Updated: Aug-28-15 9:26 am
PLAINFIELD, Illinois - The first time Andrew Meari experienced freedom was going to the Mayfair neighborhood park at the corner of Ruth Fitzgerald and Joe Adler drives.
- Frank E. Petersen Jr., first black Marine aviator, dies Updated: Aug-27-15 11:13 pm
BALTIMORE - Frank E. Petersen Jr., the first black aviator and brigadier general in the Marine Corps, has died.
- UN rights arm denounces executions in Iraq's Kurdish region Updated: Aug-25-15 2:01 pm
GENEVA - U.N. rights officials are denouncing the execution of a man and his two wives in Iraq's Kurdish region over the kidnapping and murder of two girls, saying they fear the self-ruled region may slide back toward use of the death penalty.
- Ex-deputy sheriff dies in Afghanistan suicide car bombing Updated: Aug-23-15 1:25 pm
ATLANTA - A northwest Georgia sheriff's department says a former deputy sheriff died in a suicide car bombing in Afghanistan.
- White House: No. 2 IS leader killed in US military airstrike Updated: Aug-21-15 7:53 pm
OAK BLUFFS, Massachusetts - The No. 2 leader of the Islamic State militant group was killed in a U.S. military airstrike in Iraq earlier this week, the White House said Friday.
- Shots fired at police guarding Istanbul palace; officer hurt Updated: Aug-19-15 11:34 am
ISTANBUL - Turkish police arrested two people Wednesday after a hand grenade was hurled and shots were fired at officers guarding Istanbul's Dolmabahce Palace, an Ottoman-era palace that is a major tourist attraction, the Istanbul governor's office said. One police officer was slightly injured, according to the country's state-run news agency.
- Civilian, policeman killed in rebel attack in Indian Kashmir Updated: Aug-18-15 6:43 am
SRINAGAR, India - Suspected rebels opened fire at a police post in the Indian-controlled portion of Kashmir on Tuesday, killing a police constable and a civilian, authorities said.
- Funeral held for Rhode Island soldier killed in Afghanistan Updated: Aug-17-15 8:50 pm
WARREN, Rhode Island - An Army Green Beret killed in Afghanistan weeks after being honored at a July Fourth parade in his hometown was laid to rest on Monday.
- White House launches initiative to combat heroin use Updated: Aug-17-15 10:37 am
EDGARTOWN, Massachusetts - The White House is launching a new $5 million initiative to combat heroin use and trafficking of the drug, particularly in states along the East Coast.
- Bridge dedication honors fallen Marine from West Virginia Updated: Aug-17-15 6:23 am
WELCH, West Virginia - A bridge dedication ceremony has been held for a fallen Marine who had walked 400 miles to re-enlist in the Vietnam War.
- Hundreds line streets to honor Marines at reunion in Ohio Updated: Aug-16-15 10:13 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Hundreds of people along with firefighters, police officer and veterans lined streets near Columbus to honor members of a unit that lost 11 Marines in a roadside bomb blast in Iraq a decade ago.
- Leslie teen honors fallen Marine with 4-H donation Updated: Aug-14-15 5:38 am
MASON, Michigan - Steven Harkness put in a lot of work raising the pig he sold at the Ingham County Fair, but he didn't pocket the money.
- Bangladesh court sentences 2 men for 1971 war crimes Updated: Aug-11-15 5:26 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A war crimes tribunal in Bangladesh sentenced one man to death and another to life in prison Tuesday for collaborating with Pakistan to commit mass killings and other crimes during the 1971 war for independence.
- Day of violence in Turkey leaves at least 9 dead Updated: Aug-10-15 3:49 pm
ISTANBUL - Two female assailants opened fire at the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul on Monday and at least six Turkish security forces were killed elsewhere in a day of heavy violence in Turkey, where a government crackdown has targeted Islamic State militants, Kurdish rebels and far-left extremists.
- 2 airmen killed during parachute training in Florida Updated: Aug-04-15 8:16 pm
EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Florida - Air Force officials have released the names of two special forces airmen killed in a parachute training accident in the Florida Panhandle.
- Families struggle 10 years after Ohio Marines killed in Iraq Updated: Aug-01-15 11:07 am
CINCINNATI - Some people look surprised and tell him they just can't believe it's been 10 years already. For Keith Wightman, time hasn't passed quickly at all.
- Ceremony Sunday to honor Ohio-based Marines killed in Iraq Updated: Aug-01-15 6:19 am
CINCINNATI - A Vietnam War prisoner of war who formerly headed Veterans Services in Ohio plans to speak at a memorial gathering for Ohio-based Marines killed in Iraq.
- Turkey onslaught on Kurds, after IS attack, fuels anger Updated: Jul-30-15 3:31 pm
DIYARBAKIR, Turkey - Just when it seemed Turkey was getting serious about the fight against IS, it has turned its military focus to pounding its old foe: the Kurdish rebels.