- 4 Taliban militants die in attack in Afghan capital Updated: May-26-15 11:28 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - An all-night siege in an upscale neighborhood of Afghanistan's capital ended in the early hours of Wednesday morning with the deaths of four heavily armed Taliban attackers, though no civilians or security personnel were injured or killed, an Afghan official said.
- Fort Bragg-based soldier from Florida dies in Afghanistan Updated: May-26-15 7:37 am
FORT BRAGG, North Carolina - A Fort Bragg-based Special Forces soldier from Florida has died in Afghanistan.
- Mom of fallen soldier builds retreat for grieving families Updated: May-25-15 11:44 am
PORT ANGELES, Washington - A heavy door creaks and Betsy Schultz steps into a century-old cottage littered with workbenches and plywood.
- Australia to bring home bodies of 25 who died in Vietnam War Updated: May-24-15 10:30 pm
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia announced Monday that it will repatriate the remains of up to 25 Australian soldiers killed about 50 years ago during the Vietnam War.
- Forgotten for decades, fallen NY soldier finally honored Updated: May-24-15 12:37 pm
ALBANY, New York - Carroll Heath didn't have it easy growing up in the Great Depression. His father wasn't around, his mother was a patient in a mental hospital and he kept largely to himself. Soon after graduating high school, he enlisted in the Army and wound up in the Philippines, where he's believed to have died sometime in 1942.
- Wisconsin soldier killed in Korean War buried in Arlington Updated: May-22-15 2:22 am
ARLINGTON, Virginia - A Wisconsin soldier reported missing during the Korean War has been buried at Arlington National Cemetery after his remains went unidentified for years.
- US concludes airstrike in Syria killed 2 innocent children Updated: May-21-15 5:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Two children were likely killed during an American airstrike targeting al-Qaida-linked militants in Syria last year, and two other adults were wounded, according to an investigation released Thursday by the U.S. military.
- Ohio lawmakers honor state's military dead in ceremony Updated: May-21-15 2:48 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - State lawmakers have honored six Ohio members of the military who died recently in U.S. combat operations.
- Severely injured vets find healing, hope through sports Updated: May-18-15 4:46 pm
EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Florida - As an Air Force crew chief in Afghanistan and Iraq, part of Sgt. Tim McDonough's dangerous mission was recovering the remains of soldiers killed in combat.
- Oregon soldier's remains buried 60 years after Korean War Updated: May-18-15 1:42 pm
ROSEBURG, Oregon - The remains of a Coos County man killed in the Korean War have been buried at Roseburg.
- Father: American killed in Afghanistan worked to help poor Updated: May-15-15 2:58 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - The American killed in this week's Taliban attack at an Afghanistan guest house was dedicated to helping the poor, especially women, in less-developed nations, her father said Friday.
- ICC urges Israel to give material for preliminary Gaza probe Updated: May-13-15 2:07 am
UNITED NATIONS - The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court warned Israel Tuesday that if it doesn't provide reliable information for her preliminary probe into possible war crimes in Palestinian territories she may be forced to decide whether to launch a full-scale investigation based on Palestinian allegations.
- Group identifies more 3 soldiers who died at Revolution site Updated: May-11-15 12:52 pm
ALBANY, New York - A historical preservation group working to identify some of the hundreds of soldiers believed buried at a Revolutionary War site in the Hudson Valley has attached names to another three of the fallen, including an officer from Maryland and two German mercenaries who fought for the British.
- Santa Fe final resting place for US soldier killed in Korea Updated: May-11-15 9:01 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - After more than 60 years of waiting, Pvt. Eugene Erickson will finally be laid to rest in New Mexico.
- Remains of soldier killed in 1951 to be buried in Roseburg Updated: May-09-15 2:31 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - Ben Lee Brown was lost in just a week.
- Jim Wright, former US House speaker, dies at age 92 Updated: May-06-15 6:58 pm
DALLAS - As a member of what he called "the people's house" for more than a generation, Texas Democrat Jim Wright was known for his rich oratorical skills in the U.S. House. He never relied on them more than the day in 1989 when he told those who had elected him speaker that he was prepared to resign after being accused of violating ethics rules dozens of times.
- Philippine military chief confirms wanted militant killed Updated: May-04-15 1:01 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine military chief confirmed Monday that wanted Filipino bomb-maker Abdul Basit Usman, who has links to the Indonesian-based Jemaah Islamiyah terrorist network and is a suspect in deadly bomb attacks in the south, has been killed.
- Remains of Marine killed in WWII to return to Illinois Updated: May-03-15 12:39 pm
WATSEKA, Illinois - The remains of an eastern Illinois man will be laid to rest this month in his hometown cemetery - more than 70 years after he was killed on a tiny spit of land in the Pacific Ocean during World War II.
- Memorial for military bomb techs adds 7 names from WW II Updated: May-03-15 11:26 am
EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Florida - The names of seven military bomb technicians who died in World War II are now part of a memorial wall at Eglin Air Force Base.
- SC vet group takes name of 1st female pilot killed in Iraq Updated: May-02-15 4:07 am
GREENVILLE, South Carolina - A South Carolina veterans group is adopting the name of Capt. Kimberly Hampton, the first female pilot killed in combat in Iraq.
- Administration worries grow over Saudi campaign in Yemen Updated: May-01-15 3:53 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is growing increasingly wary about the Saudi-led military intervention in Yemen and how to restore peace to a country wracked by sectarian divisions, endemic poverty and the al-Qaida offshoot posing the greatest threat to the American homeland.
- NY soldier killed in Afghanistan gets posthumous Bronze Star Updated: Apr-30-15 3:06 am
FORT DRUM, New York - A Fort Drum soldier from upstate New York is being awarded a posthumous medal for bravery nearly a year to the day that he died from wounds suffered in an attack in Afghanistan.
- Air Force pilot laid to rest at Arlington cemetery Updated: Apr-28-15 7:07 am
ALBANY, Georgia - A Georgia Air Force pilot has been laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery almost 50 years after he was killed in Vietnam.
- UN: Israeli military killed 44 Palestinians at UN shelters Updated: Apr-27-15 3:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A U.N. inquiry has found that at least 44 Palestinians were killed and at least 227 injured by direct mortar strikes and other "Israeli actions" while sheltering at U.N. locations during last year's Gaza war. The Palestinians said they would give the findings to the International Criminal Court.
- SW Pennsylvania road renamed for soldier killed in Iraq Updated: Apr-27-15 9:22 am
CONFLUENCE, Pennsylvania - A rural road has been renamed for a southwestern Pennsylvania soldier killed in Iraq 10 years ago.