- Dubuque approves incentives for officers, firefighters Updated: Jul-07-15 1:58 pm
DUBUQUE, Iowa - The Dubuque City Council approved a financial incentives package for police officers and firefighters buying homes in the city's downtown area.
- City of Charles Town, 'Friends' group purchase Happy Retreat Updated: Jul-06-15 9:14 am
CHARLES TOWN, West Virginia - Charles Town founder Charles Washington's home, Happy Retreat, has been purchased.
- Jackson may buy equipment to demolish dilapidated houses Updated: Jul-05-15 6:25 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Jackson City Council members say they may be able to get rid of blighted housing more efficiently if the city does the work itself, rather than hiring contractors.
- Same-sex couple in Mississippi goes to court to seek divorce Updated: Jul-03-15 2:47 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood has asked the state Supreme Court to allow a lesbian couple to seek a divorce.
- Some Cubans see US thaw as a boon, others pessimistic Updated: Jul-01-15 6:20 pm
HAVANA - As Havana and Washington move to restore full ties, Cubans are watching closely. Some hope rapprochement will help them make a small business prosper or keep in touch with relatives in Florida, while others doubt it will do anything to improve their lives.
- US home prices climbing steadily Updated: Jun-30-15 9:42 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. home prices increased at a solid clip in April, led by double-digit jumps in Denver and San Francisco.
- Future of struggling Muncie neighborhood could rest on faith Updated: Jun-30-15 9:23 am
MUNCIE, Indiana - What does it take to save a Muncie neighborhood characterized by a consultant as beyond rehabilitation?
- US pending home sales climb to 9-year high Updated: Jun-29-15 10:41 am
WASHINGTON - More Americans signed contracts to purchase homes in May, as pending sales climbed to their highest level in more than nine years.
- 89-year-old Indiana piano teacher has no plans to slow down Updated: Jun-29-15 9:29 am
FARMERSBURG, Indiana - When a Sullivan County woman combined her love for music and teaching, the result was a half a century of sharing her talent with Wabash Valley residents of all ages.
- Wolves to hold open house for prospective ticket-buyers Updated: Jun-26-15 2:57 pm
MINNEAPOLIS - The Minnesota Timberwolves have scheduled an open house for fans considering season tickets, trying to build off the buzz created by their high-profile draft picks.
- To sway regulators, Charter pledges to play nice on Internet Updated: Jun-25-15 3:15 pm
NEW YORK - Charter is trying to convince the government that consumers will benefit if it is allowed to create a cable giant through its proposed $67.1 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable and Bright House.
- Average US rate on 30-year mortgage edges up to 4.02 pct. Updated: Jun-25-15 11:09 am
WASHINGTON - Average long-term U.S. mortgage rates were mixed this week, marking slight increases or declines but remaining close to high levels for the year.
- US consumers ramp up May spending; largest gain since 2009 Updated: Jun-25-15 10:01 am
WASHINGTON - U.S. consumer spending surged in May with the biggest monthly increase in nearly six years - a sign of stronger economic growth ahead.
- NC treasurer highlights new buyers for Homeownership Month Updated: Jun-24-15 4:04 am
DURHAM, North Carolina - North Carolina's state treasurer is highlighting resources available for people who hope to purchase their own homes as part of her recognition of June as Homeownership Month.
- Fastest rising rents in US? Jackson, Mississippi Updated: Jun-23-15 3:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Home rental prices are climbing across much of the United States - with the biggest gains coming from not from New York or San Francisco but Jackson, Mississippi, and Portland, Maine.
- Massachusetts newlyweds win $15 million in lottery Updated: Jun-23-15 11:04 am
EASTHAM, Massachusetts - Newlyweds from Cape Cod are planning to buy a house, pay off student loans and buy a truck after winning $15 million on an instant scratch-off ticket.
- US new-home sales in May climb to best levels since 2008 Updated: Jun-23-15 10:45 am
WASHINGTON - Purchases of new U.S. homes surged in the Northeast and West in May, as steady job growth over the past year has lifted the real estate sector.
- Lusk woman using contest to sell century-old mansion Updated: Jun-23-15 5:04 am
LUSK, Wyoming - A Lusk woman is looking to sell her $900,000, 15-room bed-and-breakfast for only $150 and an essay.
- Here's why home sales are finally surging Updated: Jun-22-15 5:02 pm
WASHINGTON - Real estate has gotten hot again.
- Lone Star Funds buying Home Properties for about $4.36B Updated: Jun-22-15 9:17 am
NEW YORK - Private equity firm Lone Star Funds is taking Home Properties private for approximately $4.36 billion.
- Home Bancorp buys Louisiana Bancorp in $74.5 million deal Updated: Jun-19-15 3:26 am
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana - Lafayette-based Home Bancorp Inc. will acquire Metairie-based Louisiana Bancorp in a cash deal valued at $74.5 million.
- California home sales rise; median price tops $400,000 Updated: Jun-18-15 4:53 pm
IRVINE, California - California home sales continued their year-over-year rise last month as the state recovers from its housing slump. The median price of homes hit $401,000 statewide and $650,000 in the San Francisco Bay Area, a real estate research firm reported Thursday.
- Joplin council endorses use of remaining recovery funds Updated: Jun-18-15 4:26 pm
JOPLIN, Missouri - The Joplin City Council approved a plan this week on how to spend more than $97 million it has remaining from federal recovery funds for areas damaged by a 2011 tornado.
- Ohio House votes to restore rare coins sales-tax exemption Updated: Jun-18-15 12:55 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio House has overwhelmingly voted to restore a sales-tax exemption for residents purchasing rare coins and precious metal bullion.
- Vermont nonprofit housing service to demolish old house Updated: Jun-17-15 3:50 pm
RUTLAND, Vermont - A Vermont nonprofit has taken control of an empty house that it plans to demolish and replace as part of a city-wide effort to revitalize Rutland neighborhoods.