- Maine committee rejects bill legalizing marijuana Updated: May-29-15 1:29 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - A legislative committee has voted to reject a bill seeking to legalize marijuana for recreational use in Maine, but supporters say the real fight will be on the House floor.
- Key financial statement about Maine marijuana vote due soon Updated: May-27-15 3:35 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Maine officials have less than a week to provide a financial impact statement that a pro-marijuana group needs to begin collecting signatures for its petition.
- W.Va. law allowing life-saving heroin treatment takes effect Updated: May-27-15 3:29 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - A law is taking effect to let first responders, friends and family administer potentially life-saving medication to people overdosing on opioids, including heroin.
- Kansas marijuana bill hits roadblock in state Senate Updated: May-26-15 8:05 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - A bill that would ease marijuana laws in Kansas has stalled in the state Senate and will likely not be considered further this year after its unexpected approval by the House.
- Pot activist NJ Weedman cooking up a restaurant, temple Updated: May-26-15 4:05 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A marijuana activist and sometimes political candidate is set to open his own restaurant in New Jersey's capital city.
- Michigan marijuana legalization drive poised to clear step Updated: May-26-15 5:40 am
LANSING, Michigan - Organizers of a marijuana legalization drive in Michigan are poised to clear a procedural step.
- Bill to lower Louisiana's marijuana penalties OK'd by Senate Updated: May-25-15 8:18 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - State senators agreed Monday to lessen Louisiana's penalties for marijuana possession, to remove provisions that allow people to be jailed up to 20 years for repeatedly getting caught with small amounts of pot.
- Kilmartin asks state to regulate marijuana oil manufacturing Updated: May-25-15 3:16 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The state's attorney general is asking the General Assembly to pass a bill prohibiting medical marijuana patients and caregivers from extracting a high-potency oil from marijuana.
- Legal pot use in other states can cause issues in Indiana Updated: May-25-15 12:05 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana residents who smoke marijuana legally in states that allow it could face prosecution or firing once they're home even if they aren't intoxicated.
- W.Va. Senate president to be Coca Cola 600 honorary starter Updated: May-23-15 9:05 am
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - West Virginia Senate President Bill Cole will be the honorary starter for the Coca Cola 600 NASCAR race this weekend in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Illinois moves to downgrade pot possession to a fine Updated: May-21-15 9:11 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Legislation to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana is headed to Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner's desk.
- Oregon lawmakers to consider sales tax for retail marijuana Updated: May-19-15 9:46 pm
SALEM, Oregon - Oregon lawmakers will consider creating a sales tax for marijuana in place of fees applied to growers, the method approved by voters in last year's ballot measure legalizing the drug.
- Concern about legal marijuana and minors aired in California Updated: May-19-15 6:50 pm
OAKLAND, California - Members of a commission led by California's lieutenant governor said Tuesday that legalizing the recreational use of marijuana could generate enough tax revenue to fund drug education and counseling centers at every high school in the state, a potential upside that should be seriously considered as activists work to put a pot-legalization initiative before voters next year.
- Cannabis therapy bill heading to Texas Gov. Abbott Updated: May-19-15 4:47 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - The Texas House gave final approval Tuesday to a limited medical marijuana bill that would give epilepsy patients access to trace amounts of cannabis oil. The next stop is Gov. Greg Abbott's desk, marking a milestone that marijuana-reform advocates say is nothing short of historic in Texas.
- Pot law firm endows marijuana law professorship Updated: May-18-15 9:38 pm
DENVER - A Colorado law firm specializing in marijuana law has endowed a professorship at the University of Denver. The three-year endowment is believed to be the first funded by the new marijuana industry.
- Colorado governor signs rules that limit medical pot growers Updated: May-18-15 7:17 pm
DENVER - Colorado's governor signed into law a crackdown on medical marijuana Monday, one of two measures designed to ferret out people improperly using and selling untaxed marijuana.
- Lawmakers working on medical pot, daylight saving for 2016 Updated: May-18-15 3:11 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The next legislative session is eight months away, but Utah lawmakers are already working on bills to set up medical marijuana programs, halt a move to relocate the state prison and overhaul the state liquor department in 2016.
- Florida pot advocate pulls support for Miss initiative Updated: May-17-15 7:10 pm
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - A Florida advocate of legalizing marijuana says a threat prompted him to withdraw his offer to pay supporters of Mississippi's petition drive to gather signatures on petitions for a statewide election.
- Northern California city lifts short-lived marijuana ban Updated: May-16-15 2:28 pm
CLEARLAKE, California - A small Northern California city has lifted its short-lived ban on marijuana cultivation after critics filed a lawsuit and collected enough signatures to challenge the prohibition with a ballot measure.
- Attorney general yanks opinion sought by foes of pot measure Updated: May-15-15 4:13 pm
PHOENIX - The state Attorney General's Office is having second thoughts about its advisory opinion that said Arizona officials could use public resources to educate the public about ballot measures.
- In rural Colombia, ban on anti-coca herbicide is bittersweet Updated: May-14-15 10:04 pm
CRUCITO, Colombia - Manuel de Jesus Sanchez holds up a green poncho to protect his skin from the midday sun. The farmer says he was working in a rice paddy four years ago when a crop duster buzzed by, dumping large quantities of what everyone here refers to as "the poison."
- Ohio's auditor takes aim at special-interest ballot issues Updated: May-14-15 6:32 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's auditor wants to ban certain amendments to the state Constitution and is seeking a state constitutional amendment to do so.
- In US Senate bid, Democrat Sittenfeld says new voice needed Updated: May-14-15 2:33 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - A Cincinnati councilman running for U.S. Senate said Thursday that Democrats need a choice in the 2016 election and he intends to remain in the race.
- Colorado man pleads guilty to mailing pot outside state Updated: May-12-15 6:59 pm
DENVER - A Castle Rock man who earned hundreds of thousands of dollars shipping more than 100 packages of marijuana from Colorado to other states has pleaded guilty to federal charges.
- Prosecutor to lead Ohio marijuana legalization task force Updated: May-12-15 2:08 pm
CINCINNATI - A longtime Republican prosecutor in southwest Ohio said he is not opposed to legalizing marijuana and has agreed to lead a task force on the possible effects of doing so.