- Pot legalization backers kick off California campaign Updated: May-04-16 9:28 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A long-anticipated campaign to legalize recreational marijuana use in the state that produces more pot than any other commenced in California on Wednesday as supporters announced they have collected enough signatures to qualify a voter initiative for the November ballot.
- The Latest: Pot legalization backers tout safety message Updated: May-04-16 6:07 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The Latest on a marijuana legalization initiative proposed for the November ballot (all times local):
- Medical pot ad limits await governor's pen in Colorado Updated: May-04-16 1:09 pm
DENVER - An expanded limit on marijuana advertising awaits the governor's signature in Colorado.
- New signature deadline for ballot question backers Updated: May-04-16 12:18 am
BOSTON - Supporters of proposed ballot questions, including one that would legalize recreational marijuana, are entering the next phase of their efforts to get their measures before Massachusetts voters.
- The Latest: Hawaii OKs bills on mental health, prison, guns Updated: May-03-16 11:06 pm
HONOLULU - The Latest on the Hawaii Legislature passing dozens of bills ahead of a legislative deadline (all times local):
- House kills pot legalization, referendum, decriminalization Updated: May-03-16 8:34 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Vermont House on Tuesday gave those hoping to make the state the first to legalize marijuana by legislation rather than referendum a major buzzkill.
- Colorado lawmakers reject labeling marijuana as organic Updated: May-03-16 6:38 pm
DENVER - A Colorado proposal to certify organic marijuana has been rejected amid concerns the labels would imply pot is healthy.
- Senate committee kills bill to allow for hemp growth, study Updated: May-03-16 1:34 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - State Rep. Jack Montoucet's push to allow Louisiana academic institutions to study industrial hemp has met its end in the Senate.
- Fighting opioid addiction with marijuana moving forward Updated: May-03-16 12:09 am
AUGUSTA, Maine - A proposal to use marijuana to battle opioid addiction is being processed by the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Legal pot supporters see hopes dim in Vermont Updated: May-02-16 9:54 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Key legislative leaders said Monday they doubted they could muster support in the House for a Senate-passed bill legalizing marijuana in Vermont, and delayed until Tuesday a vote on compromise legislation calling for expanded decriminalization.
- The Latest: House delays action on marijuana bill Updated: May-02-16 9:01 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Latest on Vermont marijuana legalization bill (all times local):
- Thousands expected at pro-marijuana event in Northampton Updated: Apr-30-16 9:25 am
NORTHAMPTON, Massachusetts - Police and organizers say as many as 10,000 people are expected to attend an annual pro-marijuana event in western Massachusetts.
- Pot limits for Colorado tourists could be on the way out Updated: Apr-29-16 9:11 pm
DENVER - Colorado's tourists would be able to buy as much marijuana as residents, if a bill moving through the state Legislature passes.
- The Latest: Maine boosts availability of overdose antidote Updated: Apr-29-16 6:30 pm
AUGUSTA, Maine - The Latest on veto votes by the Maine Legislature (all times local):
- NJ Weedman: Officials 'exaggerated big-time' in pot charges Updated: Apr-29-16 12:44 pm
TRENTON, New Jersey - A New Jersey marijuana advocate dubbed NJ Weedman says authorities "exaggerated big-time" in charging him with distributing pot from his restaurant and cannabis church.
- Nebraska, Oklahoma join suit to halt Colorado marijuana law Updated: Apr-29-16 10:34 am
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska Attorney General Doug Peterson and his counterpart in Oklahoma are joining a lawsuit aimed at halting legal marijuana in Colorado.
- Vermont Speaker open to nonbinding vote on legalizing pot Updated: Apr-28-16 2:46 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - The Speaker of the Vermont House of Representatives says having a nonbinding vote on whether to legalize marijuana in the state is the best way to gauge public opinion on the issue.
- Marijuana legalization clears hurdle to Maine ballot Updated: Apr-27-16 10:11 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - A referendum proposal to legalize marijuana for recreational use in Maine has met the threshold to appear on the November ballot, Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap said Wednesday.
- Alaska weighing rules to allow use of pot at licensed stores Updated: Apr-27-16 9:59 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Some activists have a vision for Alaska's upstart marijuana industry that could have Anchorage looking more like Amsterdam in the years ahead.
- The Latest: Alaska floats rules for pot use at certain shops Updated: Apr-27-16 9:26 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - The Latest on regulations intended to allow use of marijuana in some Alaska businesses that will sell pot. (all times local):
- Wyoming legislators continue to struggle with marijuana laws Updated: Apr-27-16 7:17 pm
ROCK SPRINGS, Wyoming - Wyoming lawmakers continue to wrestle with setting criminal penalties for possession of marijuana edibles that are increasingly coming in from Colorado and other states where the drug is legal.
- School superintendents oppose pot legalization question Updated: Apr-27-16 3:57 pm
BOSTON - School superintendents say they're concerned about a proposed ballot question that would legalize the recreational use of marijuana in Massachusetts.
- The Latest: Marijuana legalization clears hurdle to ballot Updated: Apr-27-16 2:56 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - The Latest on a referendum proposal to legalize marijuana in Maine (all times local):
- Colorado Editorial Roundup Updated: Apr-27-16 5:25 am
The Aurora Sentinel, April 20, on Colorado schools having Native American mascots and names:
- King County Council imposes 4-month moratorium on pot shops Updated: Apr-26-16 8:03 pm
SEATTLE - The Metropolitan King County Council has imposed an emergency moratorium on pot businesses in unincorporated areas.