A propane heater being used in a living room burst into flames Saturday, causing a chain reaction of propane cylinders to explode on the porch, firefighters said.
Two residents escaped the 9:23 p.m. fire at 2143 23rd Street in a neighborhood just west of Lincoln Park, which resulted in $50,000 worth of damage, according to a report by Columbus Fire Department Inspector Matt Noblitt.
One occupant, Lori Hawk, was unsuccessful in trying to extinguish the fire by placing blankets over the heater, and flames spread to a couch and end table, Noblitt reported.
That’s when Hawk helped another occupant, Adam Kamman, escape to the front of the house, Noblitt said.
Columbus Police Department officers, first responders on the scene, helped move Hawk and Kamman to a safer location as propane tanks on the porch began to explode.
Firefighters initially fought the blaze from the outside because of the fear of additional propane tanks exploding.
After the fire was under control, firefighters removed the following items from the home:
More than 30 one-pound cylinders.
Five 20-pound cylinders
Two 40-pound cylinder.
A gas generator.
Several kerosene heaters.
The house — owned by Hawk’s mother, Sherry Bornman — had not had natural gas service since 2009, Noblitt’s report said.
One of the police officers suffered a minor injury when a family dog bit him as he led the dog and carried Kamman across the street to a safer location. The officer received was treated and had the wound cleaned at Columbus Regional Hospital, the report said.
Two pets — a dog and a cat — died in the fire, the report said.