The Republic Masthead

4 flee home when bedroom catches fire


Follow The Republic:


A bedroom fire caused $50,000 damage to a split level home at 1031 Parkside Drive about 9:22 p.m. Friday.

Four occupants escaped the home without injury, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

The home is owned by Irene Caudill, Wilson said.

Caudill told firefighters she believed the fire was caused by a lamp that had electrical wiring issues. The lamp had been unplugged, but a family member who didn’t know about the problem used the lamp, Caudill told firefighters.

Columbus Fire Department Battalion Chief Mike Compton said the fire was contained to the second floor bedroom. However, the fire consumed the contents of the bedroom, and there was water damage on the floor below the fire, firefighters said.

Utilities to the home were disconnected, and firefighters removed drywall and insulation to assess damage to the home.

There was smoke damage throughout the home, Wilson said.

The occupants made other lodging arrangements for Friday night, Wilson said.

Don't settle for a preview.
Subscribe today to see the full story!

  • Hybrid
  • $11/month
  • Sat / Sun Delivery
  • Sat / Sun Coupons
  • Weekend Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Premium
  • $16/month
  • 7-Day Print Delivery
  • All coupons
  • Special Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Digital Only
  • $11/month
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear. If your comments consistently or intentionally make this site a less civil and enjoyable place to be, your comments will be excluded from it.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.