The Republic Masthead

Officials: Boy, 5, ignited blaze


Follow The Republic:


A 5-year-old boy playing with a cigarette lighter caused $75,000 in damage during a March 17 fire, the Columbus Fire Department reports.

Two adults and two children were in the home at 1522 19th St. at the time of the fire, firefighters said. Tenant Michael Miller heard the fire alarm and found flames in one of the bedrooms, reports said.

The other adult, Cheyenne Schindler, took a 3-year-old girl and the boy outside while Miller tried to battle the flames with a bowl of water, firefighters said.

The department’s investigation of the fire indicates the 5-year-old boy contributed to its start.

Noblitt originally estimated about $30,000 in struct-ural damage and another $10,000 to the home’s contents. Those figures were increased to $50,000 in damage to the building and $25,000 to contents.

The fire was the second in three years for tenant Jennifer Hutter, who lost everything when her house on Sycamore Street was damaged by fire in October 2011.

Don't settle for a preview.
Subscribe today to see the full story!

  • Hybrid
  • $11/month
  • Sat / Sun Delivery
  • Sat / Sun Coupons
  • Weekend Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Premium
  • $16/month
  • 7-Day Print Delivery
  • All coupons
  • Special Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Digital Only
  • $11/month
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear. If your comments consistently or intentionally make this site a less civil and enjoyable place to be, your comments will be excluded from it.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.