The wealth of Columbus North senior athletic talent being honored for heading to college sports programs had a drawback Wednesday.
How could they get everyone in the photo?
Eighteen Bull Dogs were honored as their hard work and dedication has led to new opportunities.
North cross-country coach Rick Weinheimer was enjoying the moment as five of the athletes performed for his squad.
“It warms your heart,” Weinheimer said. “It also makes you sad at the same time because you know they are going away.You look in there and see the freshmen and sophomores watching. They understand that they might have these kind of opportunities in the future.”
North track coach Lou Sipe has several of the athletes performing for his track team. “It is humbling to know you are working with such talented kids,” he said. “These are very dedicated athletes. And absolutely our young kids will see this success and know what could be ahead for them.”
Honored on Wednesday were:
- Mackenzie Caldwell: Headed to the University of Colorado to run cross-country and track. She was runner-up at the 2013 cross-country state meet.
- Elliott Welmer: Will attend a year of prep school (still undecided which) before accepting a basketball scholarship to Saint Louis University.
- Luke Teague: Decided upon Saint Joseph’s College to continue his football career. Teague was the Bull Dogs’ top tackler, with 65 as a linebacker.
- Andre Abedian: Will play soccer at the University of Chicago.
- Riley Belding: Signed with Southern Indiana to play soccer.
- Will Bridgeman: Recruited to Hanover College to continue his soccer career.
- Ben Davis: Continues his soccer career at DePauw University.
- Ethan Smith: The University of Indianapolis signed Smith, who scored a team high 19 goals for the Bull Dogs soccer team last season.
- Keaton Voegerl: Will join Belding at Southern Indiana after posting a team-high 42 points last season.
- Andy Carr: Going to the University of Indianapolis to run cross-country and track.
- Kaden Eaton: Will compete at Belmont University in track and cross country.
- Gabby Sims: Will run track at Ball State. She placed third in the 400 in the 2013 track state meet.
- Sam Starnes: Joins the men’s cross-country program at Asbury University (Ky.).
- Olivia Kelley: Will run cross-country and track at Southern Indiana.
- Christian Glass: Headed for Xavier University to play baseball.
- Molly Crowe: Joins the Franklin College softball team.
- Grayson Harney: Another softball player who will attend Indiana Tech.
- John Rupp: Received a swimming scholarship from Rose-Hulman.