The Republic Masthead

Boarding house fire ruled accidental


Follow The Republic:


The Columbus Fire Department has ruled a Thursday boarding house fire at 938 Franklin St.was accidental due to electrical overload.

Capt. Mike Wilson, fire department spokesman, said four investigators sifted through debris at the house for several hours on Friday.

Fire Department Inspector Matt Noblitt said the building's electrical service was updated from 60 amp service to 200 amp service in 1999. The building had recently passed an inspection, Noblitt said.

Each apartment in the boarding house had all the typical appliances, including refrigerators and microwave ovens and several had hotplate cooking devices too, Noblitt said.

The fire ocurred because of an overload to the electrical system along with improper use of extension cords, Noblitt said.

For more on this story, see Monday's Republic.

Don't settle for a preview.
Subscribe today to see the full story!

  • Hybrid
  • $11/month
  • Sat / Sun Delivery
  • Sat / Sun Coupons
  • Weekend Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Premium
  • $16/month
  • 7-Day Print Delivery
  • All coupons
  • Special Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Digital Only
  • $11/month
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear. If your comments consistently or intentionally make this site a less civil and enjoyable place to be, your comments will be excluded from it.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.