The Bartholomew County Commissioners have selected eight area residents to serve on the Bartholomew County CAFO Regulation Study Committee.
The committee will review, evaluate and make recommendations for possible revisions to standards in the Bartholomew County Zoning Ordinance pertaining to confined or concentrated animal feeding operations (CFOs or CAFOs).
The eight will servie In addition to the six members representing specific county departments and boards.
Members announced Monday include:
- Dan Fleming, an area cattleman, teacher, and agricultural broadcaster.
- Mike Percy, a Hartsville resident and retired mechanical engineer.
- Leah Beyer, a farmer with experience in crops and livestock, former 4-H Educator, former Livestock Director for the Indiana Soybean Alliance and Indiana Corn Marketing Council, from German Township.
- Zach Matthews, a farmer and Conservation Officer from Hartsville.
- Mike Speaker, an area swine producer and a 4-H leader in swine projects, from Wayne Township.
- Mike Ferree, the Purdue Extension Agriculture and Natural Resources Educator, retired in 2012, from Columbus.
- Charlie Mitch, a medicinal chemistry drug researcher with Eli Lilly, and Sierra Club Winding Waters Group Chair, from Columbus.
- Annalee Huey, a Hope area resident.
For more on this story, see Tuesday's Republic.