the republic logo

Dryer catches fire in home

Follow The Republic:

A Shadow Creek Farms home had minor smoke damage after a dryer fire at 1:48 p.m. Friday, Columbus firefighters said.

Katie Thomas, 14, was in the home at 3129 Rolling Hill Drive when she smelled smoke and heard the smoke alarms sound on the second-floor. She told firefighters she saw smoke coming from a clothes dryer in the second floor laundry room and when opening the dryer door saw clothes on fire. Thomas closed the dryer door and ran to a neighbor’s home for help.

Columbus Police Lt. Alan Trisler, who was on patrol in the area, used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. Columbus firefighters then put out the remaining fire and moved the dryer outside, said Capt. Mike Wilson, spokesman for the fire department. A fan was used to clear the smoke from the house, which is valued at $160,000.

The fire was contained to the dryer, and no injuries were reported.

Homeowner Randy Thomas was at work when the fire was reported. He told firefighters that the dryer vent leading to the home’s exterior was blocked by debris. While repairs were being made, he had attached a sock to the vent opening of the electric clothes dryer, he told firefighters.

Without proper ventilation, the heat from the drying process caused the clothing to ignite, Wilson said.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 The Republic, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.