The Republic Masthead

Electrical short blamed in Columbus house fire


Follow The Republic:


Officials say a nail driven through an electrical wire in an interior wall was the likely cause of an afternoon house fire Wednesday in Columbus.

The unoccupied home at 22 Jones St. was undergoing renovations when the fire started shortly after 1 p.m., according to Columbus Fire Capt. Doug Hollenbeck.

Damage to the rental property, owned by Richard Blasdale, was estimated at $5,000. Hollenbeck said quick response from firefighters at Station 3 helped keep the incident from turning into a major house fire.

He also credited the renovation workers, who quickly called 911 after the fire broke out.

“If it had been reported 20 minutes later, we would have had something major on our hands,” Hollenbeck said.

Firefighters from three stations were on the scene within minutes and were able to contain the fire and smoke to a small portion of the residence.

Don't settle for a preview.
Subscribe today to see the full story!

  • Hybrid
  • $11/month
  • Sat / Sun Delivery
  • Sat / Sun Coupons
  • Weekend Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Premium
  • $16/month
  • 7-Day Print Delivery
  • All coupons
  • Special Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Digital Only
  • $11/month
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear. If your comments consistently or intentionally make this site a less civil and enjoyable place to be, your comments will be excluded from it.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.