COLUMBUS, Ind. — A propane heater being used in a living room burst into flames Saturday night, causing a chain reaction of propane cylinders to explode on the porch, firefighters said.
Two residents safely escaped the 9:23 p.m. fire at 2143 23rd Street in a neighborhood just west of Lincoln Park. The fire resulted in $50,000 worth of damage, according to a report by Columbus Fire Department inspector Matt Noblitt.
An occupant, Lori Hawk, was unsuccessful in trying to extinguish the fire by placing blankets over the heater, and flames spread to a couch and end table, Noblitt reported.
That's when Hawk helped another occupant, Adam Kamman, escape to the front of the house. Columbus Police Department officers, first to respond, helped Kamman and Hawk move to a safer area as propane tanks on the porch began to explode, Noblitt reported.
The house is owned by Hawk's mother, Sherry Bornman, the report said.
Read more details in Monday's edition of The Republic.