The Republic Masthead

Gas leak occurs during demolition of home


Follow The Republic:


A gas leak at the demolition site of a mobile home at 2871 Lamplight Drive was capped after about an hour Thursday night.

Columbus firefighters were called to the home at 7 p.m. after a backhoe operator working on the demolition knocked over the gas meter to the mobile home, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

Vectren workers were able to cap the leak while firefighters sprayed water around the scene to make sure the fumes did not ignite. Two families who live in mobile homes nearby were evacuated for a brief time.

Columbus Police officers blocked several intersections nearby to keep traffic out of the area, Wilson said. No injuries were reported.

Don't settle for a preview.
Subscribe today to see the full story!

  • Hybrid
  • $11/month
  • Sat / Sun Delivery
  • Sat / Sun Coupons
  • Weekend Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Premium
  • $16/month
  • 7-Day Print Delivery
  • All coupons
  • Special Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Digital Only
  • $11/month
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear. If your comments consistently or intentionally make this site a less civil and enjoyable place to be, your comments will be excluded from it.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.