the republic logo

Gas leak occurs during demolition of home

Follow The Republic:

A gas leak at the demolition site of a mobile home at 2871 Lamplight Drive was capped after about an hour Thursday night.

Columbus firefighters were called to the home at 7 p.m. after a backhoe operator working on the demolition knocked over the gas meter to the mobile home, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

Vectren workers were able to cap the leak while firefighters sprayed water around the scene to make sure the fumes did not ignite. Two families who live in mobile homes nearby were evacuated for a brief time.

Columbus Police officers blocked several intersections nearby to keep traffic out of the area, Wilson said. No injuries were reported.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.