Follow The Republic:
A safety valve on a natural gas tank failed Monday and caused a loud boom and a gas cloud to be released at the Cummins Tech Center, 1900 McKinley Ave., a Columbus firefighter said.
Around 1:20 p.m., a noise that sounded like an explosion prompted calls for the fire department to respond, said Capt. Doug Hollenbeck.
Cummins compresses natural gas to use in test trucks, Hollenbeck said, and a relief valve failed, causing the noise and gas to be released.
There were no injuries in the incident, Hollenbeck said. Firefighters stayed while Cummins gas systems were shut down and then restarted, to make sure there were no additional problems, Hollenbeck added.
Fire Stations 1 and 3 and Squad 2 responded and were on the scene for about 30 minutes.
Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!
Note: All comments left on our sites are first reviewed by an automated comment moderation system. Your comment may take up to 5 minutes to appear. If for any reason your comment can not be approved you will receive an email from this system with a detailed explanation.
All content copyright ©2013 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.