the republic logo

Man arrested in 2nd attack

Follow The Republic:

A Columbus man, who was recently released on his own recognizance after police say he attacked a neighbor with a hammer for playing a harmonica, was arrested Friday afternoon for allegedly attacking another man with a hammer.

Officers responded to a call about a disturbance involving two men in the 600 block of Eighth Street after 4 p.m. Friday afternoon.

Officer Frank Dickman of the Columbus Police Department made contact with Timothy Lamont Parker, 45, of 640 Union St., as he was walking near the area. Parker was carrying a hammer and made statements to the officer that he’d battered someone with a hammer prior to the arrival of the police.

While detaining Parker, officers discovered he was also carrying four knives. It was believed he might have been under the influence of a drug, because his statements and actions were not normal, said Columbus Police Department spokesman Lt. Matt Myers.

When police arrived at the residence, the 52-year-old alleged victim had blood all over him from the head injury he’d sustained, Myers said. The man’s left forearm appeared to be broken and he’d suffered several lacerations on his head.

The man said he’d had Parker over to his house. When he turned his back to do something, Parker hit him in the head with the hammer. During the altercation, Parker also allegedly struck the man with a 4-foot-long wood walking stick.

The victim was taken to Columbus Regional Hospital, where doctors found he had for a 4½-inch gash on his head that required staples, and his arm had been broken in two places.

Parker was preliminarily arrested at 4:43 p.m. Friday for battery with a deadly weapon, a Class C felony, and is currently on a 48-hour hold in the Bartholomew County Jail. If convicted on this battery charge, Parker could face two to eight years in prison.

On Dec. 27, Parker was arrested for assaulting a 39-year-old neighbor with a hammer for playing a harmonica on his front porch and is currently facing a felony charge of battery and misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and resisting law enforcement related to that attack.

Formal charges have yet to be filed over Friday’s incident.

“Obviously this is the second assault with a hammer in such a short period of time,” Myers said. “He obviously belongs behind bars, because he is continuing to show violent behavior toward other individuals and we can’t have that on the streets.”

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 The Republic, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.