the republic logo

Move-in marred by fire in attic

Follow The Republic:

A Columbus family evacuated a home at 4:15 p.m. Sunday after smoke was found in the attic — just six hours after moving in.

Columbus firefighters were called to the residence at 1456 Lafayette Ave. on a report of smoke coming from the attic. The home is owned by Guy Murray, who told firefighters the building is split into two apartments.

Firefighters removed the exterior attic vent and saw flames in the attic, said Capt. Mike Wilson, fire department public information officer.

While the attic crew was performing their search, an interior crew used an additional thermal camera to look at the home’s interior walls and ceiling. It was determined that the crews needed to remove a portion of the interior ceiling. Also removed was a section of wall that separated the two apartments. When crews began to pull portions of the drywall away, they found fire and smoldering insulation.

Firefighters used large canvas tarps, commonly referred to as salvage covers, to protect the contents of the apartment. A large-screen TV also was moved to reduce the possibility of damage. Firefighters used an additional salvage cover to collect the debris, Wilson said.

Murray had been contacted by the tenants before firefighters arrived about a breaker that had tripped several times, Wilson said.

The tenant, Josh Davis, 23, had just moved into one of the apartments with his girlfriend and four children.

Wilson said there were no injuries. The home did have working smoke detectors. Damages to the home are estimated at $10,000, Wilson said.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 The Republic, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.