Results of a blood test confirmed police suspicions that a 19-year-old man found dead last month in a Seymour hotel room died of an accidental drug overdose.
Darron M. Lovegrove of North Vernon was found dead in a room at the Allstate Inn on the east side of the city after police were called there because no one had checked out of the room, police said.
Test results showed Lovegrove’s breathing was suppressed after he took a combination of methamphetamine and opiates, Coroner Roger Wheeler said Wednesday.
Lovegrove was found on a bed by police responding to a call at 4:18 p.m. May 26. The call came because the hotel owner wanted the room vacated, Seymour Police Chief Bill Abbott said at the time.
The room was registered to someone besides Lovegrove, and as many as three other people had been in the room at some point during the previous day or two, Abbott said.
The three other people were interviewed by police, and the man who registered for the room said heroin had been used there, Abbott said.
That man told police that when he left the room earlier in the day, he thought Lovegrove was asleep, Abbott said.
None of the three has been charged in connection with Lovegrove’s death, and Abbott said they probably won’t be.
“I would like to charge somebody with it, but ultimately he took the drugs,” Abbott said of Lovegrove.
He said a person could be convicted of dealing drugs in such cases but added it’s often hard to determine who gave the victim the drug first.
Wheeler said the number of accidental drug overdoses leading to death is up this year, although he did not have numbers available.
“I’ve seen more than any other year since I was elected (in 2009),” he said.
Lovegrove was born in Seymour on April 11, 1995, and was a 2013 graduate of Jennings County High School. Family members described him as a fun-loving person who enjoyed spending time with his family and friends, according to his obituary.