the republic logo

Police shock man 3 times

Follow The Republic:


John M. Murphy
John M. Murphy

A Columbus man who refused to be taken into custody was stunned three times with a Taser before police finally subdued him.

John M. Murphy, 42, 3110 16th St., was arrested early Tuesday on charges of battery, battery on a police officer, resisting law enforcement, attempting to disarm a law enforcement officer and interfering with a 911 call.

Shortly before 2 a.m., Columbus police received two calls from a woman concerning a disturbance in the 3100 block of 16th Street, said Lt. Matt Myers, spokesman for the Columbus Police Department.

When officers Jim Paris and Ron May arrived at the house, located one block west of Marr Road, the woman, Murphy’s mother, told them that he had taken the telephone from her as she made the first call for help and threw it, Myers said.

When she tried to lock herself in her bedroom, Murphy forced the door open and struck her, Myers said. She told police of the physical assault during the second call.

Murphy ran out a rear door just before officers arrived. During a brief outdoor search, Paris and May determined the suspect had climbed a ladder to hide in the attic of a detached garage, Myers said.

After the officers spent several minutes trying to talk Murphy into surrendering, one of the officers climbed the ladder in an attempt to use pepper spray against the man, Myers said. That didn’t work, and the officer determined that Murphy had a knife in his pocket.

“To my knowledge, (Murphy) did not deploy the knife,” Myers said. “But due to his behavior, the officers didn’t want the situation escalating any more than it already had.”

According to Myers, after other officers arrived to assist Paris and May:

n Paris climbed the ladder and used a Taser against Murphy for the first time.

n Murphy fought and kicked Paris in an effort to wrestle the weapon away from the officer.

n May stunned the suspect a second time with the Taser, but the suspect still continued to resist arrest.

After using the Taser for the third time, police subdued Murphy and took him into custody.

While Murphy’s mother showed signs of being battered, Myers said she refused medical treatment. Neither of the officers was injured.

The arrest charge of attempting to disarm an officer is a Class C felony; the rest are Class A misdemeanors.

Bartholomew County Prosecutor Bill Nash will determine what, if any, charges will be filed in the case.

Murphy first was taken to Columbus Regional Hospital for treatment of his wounds and then was transported to the Bartholomew County jail. His bond is $45,000.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 The Republic, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.