The Republic Masthead

Q&A on Indiana Avenue project

Follow The Republic:

Residents curious about disruption when reconstruction begins on Indiana Avenue this year may ask questions during a Wednesday meeting at Columbus East High School’s cafeteria.

Indiana Avenue serves as a main road to and from the high school.

Questions will be answered during the 5:30 p.m. session about pre-construction work and utility relocation that residents might see soon.

Right-of-way clearing and utility relocation will be happening in the next few months, said Chris Schilling, the city’s communication and program director.

Construction on the project will start in the fall and continue through next year, he said.

The reconstruction will improve 14 intersections in a mile stretch from State Street to Marr Road.

Indiana Avenue will be widened to add new bicycle and parking lanes, according to the city engineer’s office.

Sidewalks are being added on both sides of the street and stormwater and sewer systems will be upgraded.

The $7 million project will be 80 percent funded by federal money, Schilling said. The city will pay the remaining 20 percent of the cost.

The city has planned for the project since 2006 and included about $1.4 million in funding for the reconstruction in this year’s budget.

“These improvements will make Indiana Avenue safer for residents who live on this street as well as the students and parents traveling to Columbus East High School,” Mayor Kristen Brown said.

Indiana Avenue handles a growing amount of traffic and is long overdue for these improvements, she said.

Traffic counts on Indiana Avenue between State Street and Marr Road were about 2,400 vehicles daily in 2010 and are expected to increase to 5,200 vehicles daily by 2030, according to project data on the city’s website.

Don't settle for a preview.
Subscribe today to see the full story!

  • Hybrid
  • $11/month
  • Sat / Sun Delivery
  • Sat / Sun Coupons
  • Weekend Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Premium
  • $16/month
  • 7-Day Print Delivery
  • All coupons
  • Special Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Digital Only
  • $11/month
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear. If your comments consistently or intentionally make this site a less civil and enjoyable place to be, your comments will be excluded from it.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.