Area road closings as of Saturday afternoon:
- County Road 800S, between Indiana 11 and U.S. 31 - CLOSED
- County Road 400N, TINKEY BRIDGE, between U.S. 31 and River Road – CLOSED
- Tellman Road – CLOSED
Road safety tips from the Indiana Department of Homeland Security:
- If the roadway is covered in water, turn around, don't drown.
- Be especially vigilant at night; many drownings and near-deaths occur at night when it is difficult to see water crossings.
- Do not cross or enter flowing water. If there is no other route, proceed to higher ground and wait for the waters to subside.
- Be aware that road erosion may occur under running or standing water. If you can't see the road, you can't be sure it's there.
- Even if the water appears shallow enough to cross, do not attempt to cross a flooded road. Water can conceal dips, or worse, floodwaters can damage roadways, washing away the entire road surface and a significant amount of ground.
- Remember, 6 inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling.
- 1 foot of water will float many vehicles, but even just a few inches of rushing water can carry away most vehicles, including SUVs and pick-ups.
- Slow down. Driving fast through high water creates less tire contact with the road surface and increases your chance of losing control of your vehicle.
- Driving through water may affect your brakes. Test your brakes at low speeds as soon as you exit the water.