A working smoke alarm alerted a Columbus resident to a dryer fire Monday.
Firefighters were called to 2880 Lake Stream Drive at 7:35 p.m. after Erik Laughlin, 23, discovered a fire in the home's utility room.
Laughlin told firefighters he was about to leave the home when the smoke alarm sounded.
Laughlin said he saw smoke coming from underneath the electric dryer and embers on the floor below the appliance. When flames came out of the door of the dryer, he attempted to put the fire out with an extinguisher and then called 911.
Firefighters vented the smoke out of the home and found the family's pet rabbit and family dog, who were not injured.
For more on this story, see Wednesday's Republic.