The Republic Masthead

Small gas fire in 1400 block of Chestnut Street


Follow The Republic:


COLUMBUS, Ind. — Columbus Fire Department responded to a gas fire at 1452 Chestnut St. after residual gas from a line ignited.

Firefighters were called to a home owned by Wayne Nyffeler at 3:24 p.m. today. Nyffeler told firefighters that he'd been installing a gas-powered dryer, and thought he had all the gas to the house shut off when he had the line off the dryer, department spokesman Mike Wilson said. However, residual gas ignited, blowing dust around and creating smoke, but causing no damage to Nyffeler's rental property, Wilson added.

The home was evacuated. Firefighters applied no water and instead let the gas burn until the gas company arrived to shut off the gas, Wilson said.

Don't settle for a preview.
Subscribe today to see the full story!

  • Hybrid
  • $11/month
  • Sat / Sun Delivery
  • Sat / Sun Coupons
  • Weekend Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Premium
  • $16/month
  • 7-Day Print Delivery
  • All coupons
  • Special Magazines
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now
  • Digital Only
  • $11/month
  • -
  • -
  • -
  • Full Digital Access
  • E-Edition Access
  • Buy Now

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear. If your comments consistently or intentionally make this site a less civil and enjoyable place to be, your comments will be excluded from it.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.