VERNON, Ind. — Republican David Turner and Democrat Gary Driver will square of in the fall for the job of Jennings County sheriff.
Turner bested four opponents to win the GOP nomination in today's primary election. He received 1,041 votes compared to 763 for Al Carnahan, 585 for Karen Ritchie, 215 for Jerry Lucas and 76 for Steven Frey.
Driver beat Jerry Shepherd 1,023 to 843 votes in the Democratic primary.
Other highlights include:
- Matthew Sporleder defeated Fred Covert in the GOP primary for County Commissioner District 3, 1,883 to 731 votes. Sporleder will face Democrat Nick Megel in the general election. Megel beat Steve Elmore 983 to 781 votes in the Democratic primary.
- Democrat Larry Maschino beat Craig Kipper for the County Council District 2 nomination, 282 to 201 votes. Maschino will face unopposed Republican David Kopitzke in the general election.
- Michael Kelley beat Manny Becker for the County Council District 1 GOP nomination, 508 to 165 votes. Kelley will face unopposed Democrat Carolyn S. Phipps in the general election.
- Gary Smith defeating James Funke Jr. for the Republican nomination for Superior Court judge, 1662 to 1,162 votes. Smith will face unopposed Democrat John "Jack" Gay in the November general election.
- Mary Dorsett Kilgore defeated Jim Terry for the GOP nomination for Jennings County Clerk, 1561 to 1,040 votes. Kilgore will face unopposed Democrat Connie Rayburn in the general election.