Columbus firefighters were sent to a reported gas leak at 1:43 p.m. today at 730 23rd St.
When firefighters arrived, they found a gas line had been ruptured by a manually operated post hole digger. A loud hissing sound could be heard in the area of the home. The owner of the home, Ryan Fisher, said that he was using the digging tool to prepare the area for the installation of a patio deck. Fisher said that as soon as he heard the hissing of the gas he evacuated his family from the home.
Vectren arrived on the scene within five minutes of firefighters' arrival, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman. Donning protective clothing, Vectren employee Rob Jones had the leak under control at 2:05 p.m., Wilson said.
According to Jones, the largest concern for a leak of this nature is the migration of gas into the home or under the ground. He stated that since the leak was well vented, the danger was reduced.
Columbus firefighters used gas meters to ensure the safety of residents within the area. The gas meter reading showed that the home was clear. Vecten remained on the scene to repair the gas line.