the republic logo

Woman hospitalized with flash burns after incident

Follow The Republic:

A Columbus woman is in good condition at an Indianapolis hospital after suffering flash burns while taking a candle into a closet she had been spray painting.

Sabrina Frasier, age not disclosed, 623 Lafayette St., told Columbus firefighters she had been painting the closet just before 10:41 a.m. Monday when the odor intensified.

She decided to go into another room to light a candle, Columbus Fire Department spokesman Capt. Mike Wilson said.

As she re-entered the closet with the candle in her hand, the paint vapors flashed — resulting in Frasier suffering flash burns, Wilson said.

Paramedics examined Frasier at the scene before she was transported to Columbus Regional Hospital.

She was transferred to the burn unit at Eskenazi Hospital in Indianapolis, according to Columbus Regional Hospital spokeswoman Kelsey DeClue.

Frasier is listed in good condition at Eskenazi, hospital spokeswoman Brittany Stewart said.

The fire was out when firefighters arrived, Columbus Fire Battalion Chief Tim Hughes said.

The confined space of the closet did not allow the paint vapors to dissipate, which was a factor in the flash fire, Hughes said.

Damage, estimated at $500, was confined to the closet floor, Hughes said. Firefighters removed a section of the carpet to ensure that the wooden closet floor was not on fire.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All content copyright ©2016 The Republic, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.