Welcome to therepublic.com.
We understand that privacy is very important to our readers. While your confidential information is always handled with great care by therepublic.com, we want to make sure that you understand why we collect, how we use, and how we protect certain information.
How do I know my confidential information is safe?
Therepublic.com and The Republic do not share reader information with anyone. We collect this information to improve therepublic.com and provide more and better services to our readers. The only times we will divulge a guest's personal information to a third party are:
- The law requires such disclosure.
- To identify, contact or initiate legal action against someone violating therepublic.com's terms of service, or someone who is causing injury to or interference with therepublic.com's rights or property, other therepublic.com users, or anyone else who may be harmed by such activities.
What information does therepublic.com collect?
The Republic obtains information from you when you start a newspaper subscription, register for an online account or purchase advertising. This information may include, but is not limited to, your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and details of your purchase. If you contact therepublic.com, we may keep a record of your correspondence.
Therepublic.com may conduct surveys on its site for research purposes. When you participate in a survey, the information you provide is collected by therepublic.com. We will always inform you how we will use this information.
Computer IP addresses identify computers and the networks or Internet service providers to which they are connected. Therepublic.com collects computer IP addresses to help with system administration and to gather information about site traffic patterns.
A cookie is a small amount of data transferred from a Web server through your browser and stored on your computer’s hard drive. The cookie contains your username and password so the Web server recognizes you when you log in.
General statistical information
Visits to therepublic.com are monitored to gather statistical information, including the number of site visits, pages visited and browsers used to view the site. This information enables us to evaluate the effectiveness of our services and monitor site performance.
How does therepublic.com use my information?
Information collected on therepublic.com is used primarily for the following purposes:
- Internal research. therepublic.com is continuously working to improve user experience and assessing how visitors use the site. The data we collect assists us in making decisions about how to improve the site and to better serve our users. Our aggregated research data that may be shared with our advertisers or business partners does not include information about specific individuals. Therepublic.com may use your information to contact you to request your participation in a focus group, survey, or other type of research effort to improve our products and services.
- To customize your online experience. As therepublic.com strives to add and improve customization features, we may use information provided by you to assist in the customization process, if you elect to participate in the use of these features.
- To target advertising. Most of the information available to you at therepublic.com is free and supported by advertising. Advertisers prefer to target their message toward online users most likely interested in their products. Information gathered on therepublic.com helps advertisers see general visitor demographics and how visitors use the site, resulting in better decisions concerning advertising placement. No specific information about individual users is ever provided to advertisers.
Therepublic.com may use provided information in these ways:
- E-mail addresses. We may send you information that we believe would be of interest to you via e-mail if you provide us your e-mail address by registering on the site. This information may be from therepublic.com, The Republic or one of The Republic’s niche products.
- Postal addresses. If you provide us your postal address, we may send occasional mailings about new products, upcoming events or other information we think might be of interest to you.
- Telephone numbers. Therepublic.com may call you regarding orders you have placed online, if you have provided your telephone number. Therepublic.com or The Republic may also call you for research purposes.
You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and any account information.
What if I don't want to be contacted?
When you receive an e-mail from therepublic.com, we will always allow you to opt out of any further e-mails from us. You will find an unsubscribe option within the e-mail. You may also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, write us at 333 2nd Street, Columbus, IN 47201 or call us at 812-379-5769 to opt out of our e-mail programs.
If, at anytime in the future, therepublic.com desires to use the information you provided to us in a way not previously described, we will contact you to explain the use of the information and give you the opportunity to decline that use.
Therepublic.com uses industry-standard encryption technologies when receiving and transferring consumer data on our site. You will always be redirected to a secure server when we transfer or receive sensitive data, such as financial information.
You may telephone us at (812) 379-5769 or write us at:
333 2nd Street
Columbus, IN 47201