the republic logo

Woman, 88, killed in Newton County fire; extension cord believed to have caused blaze

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

OXFORD, Georgia — Authorities in Newton County are investigating a house fire that claimed the life of an Oxford woman.

Fire officials say 88-year-old Willie Peal Foster was killed in the Tuesday blaze at 936 Cook Road in Oxford.

State Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said the fire began in the family room, where an extension cord appeared to have malfunctioned. Newton County Fire Chief Kevin O'Brien said he was uncertain how the cord malfunctioned but the cause was ruled electrical in nature and the cord appeared to be culprit.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports (http://on-ajc.com/1t4euLb) that Foster was home alone at the time of the fire, which was reported at 10:43 a.m. Tuesday.

Hudgens said Foster's death is the 95th fire fatality in Georgia this year.

Oxford is about 35 miles southeast of Atlanta.


Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, http://www.ajc.com

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Subjects:

Places:

 

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.